• Members

Hi, our band is in need of a PA for just vocals for now. We will mostly be using this for practice but also need it to be capable of handling small shows(bars,gyms,etc.) We are a rock/punk band with 2 guitars and a bass. We also need a mixer for 3 Vox, an acoustic, and possibly a keyboard. We would like to keep the budget under $1000 and are looking for used, as we are all in college.

None of us really know anything about PA's. I came up with this setup after a little research:

2 Peavey PV115's (400W RMS)

A Peavey PV10 Mixer

Peavey PV1500 Power Amp (500 W/channel @ 4 Ohms)

In the future we would like to add a couple monitors. We already have 3 mics and my dad can build us a rack case if we need one.

Do you think this would be sufficient for our needs? If it is not please share your opinions and advice. Some knowledge from those who have experience in this area is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

• Members

Oh sweet, that isn't very far. that was one hell of a blizzard we had this weekend. I'm actually going to school in lincoln, ne but was planning on coming back home to play my new mesa that was delivered last thursday but the storm kind of put a stop to that.

• Members

If you're going to be just running vocals, you'd probably be better off getting a pair of peavey'spowered PR15's. Lighter and easier to set up.

Mogwix, I'll definitely look into those. About how much do those go for used? I found the Power Amp and Mixer on ebay for $500. I looked up some passive PR15s and they were $200 a pop new.

So if we got the powered PR15s we could those as monitors later down the road when we saved up some more money for a nicer system? Would that be a good idea?

• Members

So if we got the powered PR15s we could those as monitors later down the road when we saved up some more money for a nicer system? Would that be a good idea?

Oh yeah, they make great monitors. I wouldn't know how much they cost used since I've never looked for any, just keep an eye out on ebay and your local shops and you're bound to find some deals.

• Members

Hi, our band is in need of a PA for just vocals for now. We will mostly be using this for practice but also need it to be capable of handling small shows(bars,gyms,etc.) We are a rock/punk band with 2 guitars and a bass. We also need a mixer for 3 Vox, an acoustic, and possibly a keyboard. We would like to keep the budget under $1000 and are looking for used, as we are all in college.

None of us really know anything about PA's. I came up with this setup after a little research:

2 Peavey PV115's (400W RMS)

A Peavey PV10 Mixer

Peavey PV1500 Power Amp (500 W/channel @ 4 Ohms)

In the future we would like to add a couple monitors. We already have 3 mics and my dad can build us a rack case if we need one.

Do you think this would be sufficient for our needs? If it is not please share your opinions and advice. Some knowledge from those who have experience in this area is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

What about drums? Are you gonna mic them at all? You may need to consider that for some of your gigs (especially larger venues such as gyms).

Believe or not, I've actually been thru Canton. I went to school at SDSU many years ago.

V.

• Members

Mogwix, I'll definitely look into those. About how much do those go for used? I found the Power Amp and Mixer on ebay for $500. I looked up some passive PR15s and they were $200 a pop new.

The Peavey PR-15p Powered Speakers go for around $400 new/pc, so you could probably pick up a pair of used ones in good condition for around $500 I'm guessing. One thing you would also need are some speaker stands, which start off around $80/pr and go up to around $200/pr for the good Ultimate stands. Then you would need to get a small mixer, either the one you found on ebay or some other small model. Whatever you do, stay away from Behringer mixers! There are plenty other mixers to be found out there for under $300 (Peavey PV, Mackie VLZ, Yamaha MG, etc) that are good quality, so do not get sucked into buying a Behringer mixer. You may even be able to find a place near you that has some of the Mackie VLZ-Pro mixers still in stock that are being clearanced out and pick one up for a huge discount. So if you spent $500 on speakers, around $100 on stands and cables, and $200 or so on a decent mixer, you would run around $800 or so. Plus, you would not need any cases (for now) as you do not have an external power amp. Also, your system would be easily expandable in the future!

Anyway, Good Luck! :thu:

Archived