danger in soldering fumes?

• Members

As I sat soldering a pcb in my dorm room today, I noticed for the first time how thick my cloud of fumes was, probablly due to the 12x6 room i'm in. I didn't have any trouble breathing or anything, but it made me think. I recall reading every now and then a offbeat recomendation for ventilation while soldering, but nothing serious (except in the lead free sector as a drawback to lead free soldering, that gets mentioned alot). And I can't remember any of the 5 electronics instructors I've had through middle school ever saying anything about ventilation. So is there any danger here? Within the past year ive done 10 times more soldering then in the past, could this be a reason for my communication and speech skills decreasing in the same timeframe, or is that the engineering curriculum and alcohol?

thanks, miles

• Members

As I sat soldering a pcb in my dorm room today, I noticed for the first time how thick my cloud of fumes was, probablly due to the 12x6 room i'm in. I didn't have any trouble breathing or anything, but it made me think. I recall reading every now and then a offbeat recomendation for ventilation while soldering, but nothing serious (except in the lead free sector as a drawback to lead free soldering, that gets mentioned alot). And I can't remember any of the 5 electronics instructors I've had through middle school ever saying anything about ventilation. So is there any danger here? Within the past year ive done 10 times more soldering then in the past, could this be a reason for my communication and speech skills decreasing in the same timeframe, or is that the engineering curriculum and alcohol?

thanks, miles

lnhaling solder fumes is dangerous for your health. There are dangerous gases in solder fumes like aldehydes and isocyanates. Area should be well ventilated or filtered.

Stop inhaling that stuff! :)

• Members

Ventilate the soldering fumes, they are dangerous stuff to inhale. A fifteen minute job won't hurt you, but a two hour job will.

I had a period where I was making approx 200 patchbay cables. Even with a fan to ventilate the fumes I had to limit my exposure to the stuff. You do feel it in the lungs.

Archived