Monitors on the stage or on a pole!

• CMS Author

Sidefills are pretty common, and that's about what you'd wind up with...assuming you're not planning on bloacking your view of the audience with them...... But typically 'true' sidefills are used to provide additional monitoring by adding elements of what's going on at the opposite side of the stage. In small venues however, it's not unusual to provide a basic monitor mix with a sidefill.

• Members

You mean Texas Headphones?

I tried that once playing outdoors when I had some extra monitors. I put my Yamaha SM12IVs on stands on either side of me drumming. Pretty cool & LOUD but watch the feedback.

Sidefill monitors are pretty common. And placing them on stands works well for the speakers that are small enough to do so. A proper sidefill is to get the sounds from the OPPOSITE stage side to the rest of the performers. Otherwise, you get too much garbled sound combining with the FOH stack, making the FOH guy work hard for a clear sound, IME.

Boomerweps

• Members

As a related question, I am wondering about putting 4 monitors on the front truss as the front monitors for the musos. The front truss is the big square stuff and is about 6' out and above the stage.

Will this work for them?

• Members

As a related question, I am wondering about putting 4 monitors on the front truss as the front monitors for the musos. The front truss is the big square stuff and is about 6' out and above the stage.

Will this work for them?

IF the truss is designed to handle the weight AND IF the monitors have REAL fly point built in AND IF you use the right flying eyebolts, shackles and chain.

Speaker handles are for lifting and moving, NOT for suspended dead weight. Most MI grade cabinets are NOT designed structurally to take all their weight on the top, back, or sides. You can bolt them to sturdy platforms and suspend the platforms but that is added weight on the truss.

One of the reasons, for example, Yorkville's Black epoxy option on their Elite series costs so much more, they add fly points to the cabinet, too. Also, their NX series comes standard with fly points.

Boomerweps

• Members

Will this work for them?

Those little 18lb EV zX1's would be great for that. On the bottom of the marketing PDF (below link) they mention a truss clamp adapter.

http://www.electrovoice.com/products/250.html

ZX!-90_family_large.jpg

• Members

I "flew" an Avatar 2x10 bass cabinet for use as a drum monitor at a show with a small stage. Didn't have any problems, but I can't say I'd recommend it on here, since it's most surely not fly rated or anything. Bungee cord + safety cables + not near anyone in the audience + "it's either this or no monitor for the night" = gave it a shot.

• Members

One of the reasons, for example, Yorkville's Black epoxy option on their Elite series costs so much more, they add fly points to the cabinet, too. Also, their NX series comes standard with fly points.

Boomerweps

Yorkville's Elite and Unity cabs come with fly points whether painted or carpeted.

Archived