So Carvin missed my order...

• Members

For 11 days now, I've been waiting for my LM15A to come in. After a few days, I write the sales guy an email. No response. Another email. No response. Today, after my 5th email in 5 days, I decide to call. Well, seems the salesman was on vacation, and he had just come back today, and he had over 400 emails to go through. Great. :rolleyes: But he can't verify my order, so he transfers me to order dept. After a minute, order dept. guy tells me it seems Carvin ''missed'' my order. It was in the computer, but they forgot to put it through. (boy would I love to be their boss) Great. :rolleyes: So they were supposed to be shipping it right away. I should receive it in 5-6 business days...

I ended up writing an email to the guy who sold me the speaker, apologizing for the tone of my last email (:mad:) , but suggesting that maybe if he has received 400 emails, it may be a good idea to have someone check and reply to his emails when he is gone. I was really pissed off after my first 3 emails and no reply. I should have called sooner but can't call from work. Anyway, let's hope this is one very good speaker. I hate waiting for something I know I'm going to have fun testing out - and writing a fair review for... Anyway, I'll let you all know when it comes in... :thu: Al

• Members

For a mail-order company you think they'd have their mail-order {censored} together. It would have been a smart thing to eat the shipping cost for overnight or two day shipping. Disappointing.

• Members

For a mail-order company you think they'd have their mail-order {censored} together. It would have been a smart thing to eat the shipping cost for overnight or two day shipping. Disappointing.

I'm hoping they ship the order and forget to put my Mastercard through. :D

• Members

My speaker was supposed to have shipped yesterday.... I checked my Mastercard today and no new transaction shows up. WTF are these people doing? If they forgot to charge me, that's fine. If they haven't yet shipped my speaker - :mad: :mad: :mad: Al

• Members

What more will it take for you to call MasterCard and Carvin and cancel the order and the charges? Screw that...I'm sure some other source would be happy to provide you even a modicum of customer service.

I really want to know if Carvin products are any good. It is something I really want to know and experience. The customer service is obviously not. That I can confirm. Most of the speaker is being paid by my brother who owes me some money, I'm paying the small difference so I don't really care that much about the money (I'm happy to get it back from my brother). I could have bought Yorkville, Yamaha or Peavey which I know is good stuff. But I want to try something different. Something no one around here uses or has probably ever seen. I probably should have cancelled my order yesterday, when they confirmed that they somehow missed it, but, I (with my gentle, friendly and forgiving heart) decided to give them another chance. I really want to be able to write a real review, unbiased for all of you about these new powered speakers after really testing them and comparing them, head to head with my NX55Ps. I'm just too damn curious I guess. I will keep you updated... :) Al

• CMS Author

I really want to know if Carvin products are any good. It is this month's mission! The customer service is obviously not. That I can confirm. Most of the speaker is being paid by my brother who owes me some money, I'm paying the small difference so I don't really care that much about the money (I'm happy to get it back from my brother). I could have bought Yorkville, Yamaha or Peavey which I know is good stuff. But I want to try something different. Something no one around here uses or has probably ever seen. I probably should have cancelled my order yesterday, when they confirmed that they somehow missed it, but, I (with my friendly and forgiving hoser heart) gave them another chance. I really want to be able to write a real review, unbiased for all of you about these new powered speakers. I'm just too damn curious I guess. I will keep you updated...
:)
Al

We really need to invade Canada.

:D

• Members

I'm sure M. Bush will eventually find a reason to.... Although we don't have any WMDs. Not that it actually matters if we really do or not...But we are working on getting electricity to all our homes in the near future. This may mean we are developping an electricity program to eventually create electric bombs...Yeah. Whatever. Man the world is so {censored}ed. Mostly thanks to weapon happy, money hungry, selfish and powerfully corrupt bastards like G Dubya.
:cry:
Rant over. Yeah, I know, wrong forum. Don't get me started on bush and Irak. Patriotism or the ridiculous freedom fries story. WTF.... Mission accomplished? They should rerun that mission accomplished footage today... So many lost lives. So many innocent children living in war and fear. For what? How many billions of taxpayers money could have been used for more important things? I'm not so sure Irakis weren't better under Sadaam's rule. At least thousands of children would still have their fathers...or their lives. Anyway, it's all just a really sad mess. They should also replay where they said Sadaam could strike any minute and they had a map showing exaclty where the WMDs were.. Money and power. EVIL. Al

You are right.....you are on the wrong forum.

• Members

You are right.....you are on the wrong forum.

Sorry. That was out of line. I really took CraigV's invade Canada comment the wrong way. I have deleted my post... and will keep my political comments to myself. Unfortunately, I could not delete it in time for no one to see... I am now kicking myself violently for my stupid rant. Well, now you know how I feel about the bush administration. Al

• Members

Good deletion Al. Sometimes it's easy to go on an off topic rant.

I played a big gig the other week through a Carvin amp. A 1989 1x12 combo, EL34's, through a Hi-Watt 4x12 cabinet. Got to admit, I was impressed. But the owner told me it was the only year the amps were made right. He's got 2 of them, the exact same. That's the only Carvin I've used in years.

• Members

My speaker was supposed to have shipped yesterday.... I checked my Mastercard today and no new transaction shows up. WTF are these people doing? If they forgot to charge me, that's fine. If they haven't yet shipped my speaker -
:mad:
Al

The last order I placed with them for my C1644P, they told me they had it in stock when I placed the order. A week went by with no tracking number so I called. Was told it was out of stock, more in a few days. This went on for several weeks before they finally shipped it. When I finally got it, it was defective, so I had to repeat the process. Took well over a month to finally get one I could use.

• Members

The last order I placed with them for my C1644P, they told me they had it in stock when I placed the order. A week went by with no tracking number so I called. Was told it was out of stock, more in a few days. This went on for several weeks before they finally shipped it. When I finally got it, it was defective, so I had to repeat the process. Took well over a month to finally get one I could use.

I'm thinking I should maybe give them a call tommorow to see if the speaker has shipped. I am really a very patient person most of the time. Probably too patient. Probably too nice too. I'll call them tommorow and see if they can find my order. If there's any problems, I'll have to open up a can of whoop ass on them. Or something of the sort... :D

• Members

I think you have experienced the NORM for Carvin. I've had a similar experience. When I finally called in, they said they never got the order. I asked to talk to a supervisor (so I could get expedited shipping for free in exchange for my "pain and suffering"). After getting everything cleared up, here's what he told me. On weekends, the computer system is essentially on "auto-pilot." He also told me that they are so busy with phone orders on Monday, that they don't even get to on-line orders until Tuesday. If the system crashed or had a bug, they may or may not even find out, and if they do, there is no way to recapture lost orders. Finally, even daily on-line orders are not processed until the next day -- if you are going to order anything with expedited shipping, it's a waste to do it online due to the inherent delays. The take home message for me was if you are going to order Carvin stuff, ALWAYS CALL IN YOUR ORDER. Besides, there's a good chance you can even get an additional discount if you do.

• CMS Author

I think you have experienced the NORM for Carvin. I've had a similar experience. When I finally called in, they said they never got the order. I asked to talk to a supervisor (so I could get expedited shipping for free in exchange for my "pain and suffering"). After getting everything cleared up, here's what he told me. On weekends, the computer system is essentially on "auto-pilot." He also told me that they are so busy with phone orders on Monday, that they don't even get to on-line orders until Tuesday. If the system crashed or had a bug, they may or may not even find out, and if they do, there is no way to recapture lost orders. Finally, even daily on-line orders are not processed until the next day -- if you are going to order anything with expedited shipping, it's a waste to do it online due to the inherent delays. The take home message for me was if you are going to order Carvin stuff, ALWAYS CALL IN YOUR ORDER. Besides, there's a good chance you can even get an additional discount if you do.

Great. This would be a peeve of mine...offering "24/7" service that really isn't 24/7. I worked for a software company that did this...they call it "follow the sun"....each of the company's offices around the globe would handle calls throughout the day, and in theory you would get a live voice on the other end of your call. Trouble was, that voice was as likely as not to be speaking a language you don't know. And you were 90% likely to have someone who, even if they could communicate with you, didn't know the product you were calling about. Sweet, eh?

Don't offer services you can't provide consistently at a level a customer would consider exemplary. If that means you're open 8am-5pm, M-F, that's fine. I really don't need to buy a DI box I won't have for a few days, at 3am on Sunday.

• Members

I'm thinking I should maybe give them a call tommorow to see if the speaker has shipped. I am really a very patient person most of the time. Probably too patient. Probably too nice too. I'll call them tommorow and see if they can find my order. If there's any problems, I'll have to open up a can of whoop ass on them. Or something of the sort...
:D

I know it's probably not the case but they may just be out of stock of that speaker and waiting for a new shipment to come in and just haven't charged you yet.

This has happend to me from a few different other companies. I order something, no word from them for a few weeks and finally email them and they're like "Oh we don't have any in". Gee how about telling me this!!! :idea:

From my experience and what I've heard from others regarding carvin's CS, it depends on who you talk to over there. Some are really on top of things and others don't have a clue. I usually request to speak with Jason as he's very thorough. I had my V3 sent back to get the updates done on it and they were back ordered on the PCB boards and it was there a month but after the first week, I called and got ahold of Jason and asked him what the status was. He called me back in about 15 minutes to let me know and also kept me up to date by calling a few times during that time it was out to let me know the status and when it shipped.

On the other hand, I've talked to a few people who had no idea what was going on.

• Members

UPDATE....UPDATE

So I call Carvin today since there is still no charge on my card and the damn speaker was supposed to be shipped 2 days ago, right away, because they had somehow missed my order...

So I speak with someone about my order. Oh yeah, he says, there seems to be a problem with your order, I'll transfer you over to your salesman. My salesdude comes on and tells me my brother's Visa card has been declined...Holy f_uck, will this ever end. Why was I not informed about this 2 days ago when the speaker was supposed to be shipped right away??? :mad: OK, f_uck it, cancel the order!

Well, that's done. Screw them, if the service is this bad before the sale....

OK, so a few hours after... I get an email from the salesdude (who I spoke with a few hours before to cancel my order) who is now finally responding to my 3rd (of 5) emails I had sent last week, telling me - ''I have forwarded this and your other emails to customer service since I cannot check the status of your order from here. They will be the ones you need to speak with now....''

OK, I guess this guy really doesn't remember me from a few hours even with the fact that this is an order they screwed up and all..... Dear God.

So I reply - ''We spoke a few hours ago and I cancelled my order.... remember the card that was declined - the problem with the order??? Anyway, there had better not be any charge to my Mastercard...

Well, during my lunch break, I headed off to my favorite music store where I listened once again to Yorkville's YX15 cabs and finally placed an order for a pair of YX15Ps. 900$ a pair (plus tax). Wow, under a grand for a pair of powered 15s. 2 year unconditional warranty and I can have them serviced a few minutes from my house.... I think this was a good decision. I will definitely give all of yous a review when I get them... Sorry Smitty but I think you understand why I changed my mind... sorry for the long post! :) Al

• CMS Author

Sounds like the right course of action for this situation.

Over the years I've developed a really thin skin for bad service. I don't get rude or abusive, I try to speak with someone in charge, and if I don't get a really good response and immediate action, I'm history.

There's simply too much competition for me to bother with a company that doesn't do its job.

• Members

Hey Al,

You did good. Not only are you getting great speakers, you're helping your own country's economy by buying home-made product! Carvin has some decent stuff, but as you've exposed here, they are too compartmentalized to have decent on-line ordering, follow-up, and customer service. They used to be much better, but I believe that their bottom line has gotten pretty tight, so they've cut a few too many cornters, or taken responsibility away from people whn need it to make the customers happy.

BTW, I used to live just down the road from you. From the summer of 77 to the summer of 80, my folks lived in North Bay. I got to experience the chad flies, great cross country skiing from my front door, great fishing, and even curling.

• CMS Author

I think it hasn't been mentioned, but consider that Carvin really has no retail presence at all. They rely solely on the order methods Al utilized...or tried to. Considering how much overhead is saved by not having to support distribution and retail brick-and-mortar sales, you'd think they could put some effort into sufficient staff who are universally competent. I can only imagine how much business they've lost beside's Al's. Then again, look what it took to get a cancellation of this order. Perhaps this is what they count on. But what about repeat business?????

• Members

Wow, what a crappy experience. I was hoping for some good news and an informative review of those speakers. If the process of finalizing a purchase is that bad, I wonder what tech support and warranty handling will be like. After reading about your experience, I would not want to find out.

Let us know how the Yorkies turn out. Inquiring minds want to know.

V.

• Members

Hey Al,

You did good. Not only are you getting great speakers, you're helping your own country's economy by buying home-made product!

BTW, I used to live just down the road from you. From the summer of 77 to the summer of 80, my folks lived in North Bay. I got to experience the chad flies, great cross country skiing from my front door, great fishing, and even curling.

Cool. :thu: North Bay is just under 2 hours from here. We spend some time there in the summer. There's some fun stuff for the kids (train rides and carrousels) and they also have a music store (Acclaim music) that's pretty cool for ME. :cool: Al

• Members

Got 2 more emails from my salesdude at Carvin today. He still doesn't remember he spoke with me and the order has been cancelled, even though I reminded him yesterday. So, he was responding to my 2 last emails today....(from a few days ago). After reading my last one (the angry one) he said he would send it up to the shipping department promptly to get me an answer. I had to write back, once again that the order had been cancelled....And that although I realize Carvin is famous for low prices, it may be a good idea to have a few extra people on hand to take care of orders, emails and more importantly their customers. He then writes me a final email to apologize for the problems, but says it was out of his hands... :rolleyes:

My YX15Ps are on order!!! :)

• Members

Sorry. That was out of line. I really took CraigV's invade Canada comment the wrong way. I have deleted my post... and will keep my political comments to myself. Unfortunately, I could not delete it in time for no one to see... I am now kicking myself violently for my stupid rant. Well, now you know how I feel about the bush administration. Al

Al,

There is a political forum here at HC. Feel free to visit and post your political comments to your hearts content.

• Members

I know everyone loves jumping on the Carvin bashing, and I do feel sometimes it is warranted as with ALL mfg's, but did you ever stop to think that if you gave them a credit card that did not get declined you would probably of had the speakers in a reasonable amount of time.

Archived