Why would a mic just up and die

• Members

Mid show, the my guitar amp mic just quit working. Swapped cable, mixer channels. Turned out the mic just died mid show. Should I pitch it, or is it possibly a simple fix? I have zero soldering skills.

• Members

Mics can "just die". In fact almost anything electronic has the capability to "just die". It could be worse, the mic could have spit out a bunch of wierd frequencies/pops and caused harm to the rest of the system before you could shut it off.

As for fixing the mic, what brand & model is it? Shure has had a long standing policy of letting owners send in dead mics and "fixing" them (more like they send you a rebuilt one and rebuild yours too look like new and send to the next guy) for a small fee (About $60 IIRC).

• Members

Mics can "just die". In fact almost anything electronic has the capability to "just die". It could be worse, the mic could have spit out a bunch of wierd frequencies/pops and caused harm to the rest of the system before you could shut it off.

As for fixing the mic, what brand & model is it? Shure has had a long standing policy of letting owners send in dead mics and "fixing" them (more like they send you a rebuilt one and rebuild yours too look like new and send to the next guy) for a small fee (About $60 IIRC).

It's an AKG I think. It's probably 20 years old, so I shouldn't complain.

• Members

It's an AKG I think. It's probably 20 years old, so I shouldn't complain.

I would head over to AKG's web site and see if they have a mic repair policy posted. If not, try to find an phone number to give them a call about it.

• Members

No.

I am just familiar with the results of this chord through 20 year old AKG mics. Just thank the lord that you are still here to tell your story.

:eek:

I'm just thankful I didn't add a flatted 5th.

I think the real problem is that I decided to give my backup amp a shot that night. It's a Carvin Nomad. Maybe I should start a thread "Carvin amps destroy mics".

• Members

I'm just thankful I didn't add a flatted 5th.

I think the real problem is that I decided to give my backup amp a shot that night. It's a Carvin Nomad. Maybe I should start a thread "Carvin amps destroy mics".

Wait a sec...

:confused: Did you say a Carvin Nomad? :confused:

Archived