• Members

Need help with the ohm's law had a disaster at our gig because drummer doesn't understand ohm's law. Please tell him you can't mix match 4ohms and 8 ohms together he ran 4-4ohm into one side of amp and 5-8ohms to the other side and wondered why his amp fried I need to print this info. out from you experts that know that way I have more proof he's stubborn :mad: and claims he did this set up at 100's of gigs in California. :eek:

• Members

Ohm's law isn't really applicable directly here. He needs to learn how to calculate impedances without going below the amp's limit. You can run 4 and 8 ohms together if you want, although keep in mind the lower impedance will get more power.

This is probably the most useful formula for him.

1/(total resistance) = (1/R1) + (1/R2) + (1/R3)...

• Members

Ohm's law isn't really applicable directly here. He needs to learn how to calculate impedances without going below the amp's limit. You can run 4 and 8 ohms together if you want, although keep in mind the lower impedance will get more power.

This is probably the most useful formula for him.

1/(total resistance) = (1/R1) + (1/R2) + (1/R3)...

You are correct, you can run different ratings on either side. I read the OP to say he ran five 8-ohms on one side and four 4-ohms on the other.

1/((1/8)+(1/8)+(1/8)+(1/8)+(1/8) = 1.6-ohms

1/((1/4)+(1/4)+(1/4)+(1/4)) = 1-ohms

at least thats waht I read it to say.

• Members

You are correct, you can run different ratings on either side. I read the OP to say he ran five 8-ohms on one side and four 4-ohms on the other.

1/((1/8)+(1/8)+(1/8)+(1/8)+(1/8) = 1-ohms

1/((1/4)+(1/4)+(1/4)+(1/4)) = 1-ohms

at least thats waht I read it to say.

I did too. The problem as you pointed out was the total load went too low, not that he had 8 ohm cabs on one side and 4 on the other.

• Members

While it is possible to chain together an 8 ohm enclosure and a 4 ohm enclosure to one side of an amplifier that can handle 2 ohms loads (the load would be 2.66 ohms), the bigger issue is that you would would be operating 2 different types of boxes on the same frequency band (bad idea), AND you would be sending wattage to each box (with the 4 ohm box getting most of the power). It would be pretty much impossible to balance these boxes, and EQ them properly.

• Members

Need help with the ohm's law had a disaster at our gig because drummer doesn't understand ohm's law. Please tell him you can't mix match 4ohms and 8 ohms together he ran 4-4ohm into one side of amp and 5-8ohms to the other side and wondered why his amp fried I need to print this info. out from you experts that know that way I have more proof he's stubborn
:mad:
and claims he did this set up at 100's of gigs in California.
:eek:

5 ea. parallel 8 ohm loads would be nominally 1.6 ohms

4 ea. parallel 4 ohm loads would be nominally 1.0 ohms

The reason I say: "nominally" is because an 8 ohm rated speaker could have a minimum impedance as low as somewhere around 5 1/2 ohms. A 4 ohm rated speaker could have a minimum impedance as low as somewhat less than 3 ohms. Therefore, the 4 ea. parallel "4 ohm" speakers could have a minimum impedance well below 1 ohm.

But, since it appears it's his amp he snuffed, and he knows he's got his act together on this sort of stuff... why bother trying to explain something to somebody who knows better?

• Members

Thanks guys very well appreciated
:thu:
now I have other people's input as well. I think this drummer crazy I think he's thinking that 2000 watts was enough to run 9 speakers who knows WTF he was thinking.

With all due respect, the drummer doesn't seem like the only one that's confused. 2000 watts is plenty of power to run 9 speakers. Lack of power wasn't the problem.

• CMS Author

Hmmm, so he did this in California 100's of times. Well, it must be the amp's fault. So why butt heads? Let him do the 'buy and fry a few more times.

Here in the forums I'm persistent because I assume someone asking for help really wants it, but in 'real life', if you don't want to take my advice, I don't push it. Your drummer doesn't understand impedance matching, and obviously doesn't care to, even though it's in his best interest. I can't think of a better reason to leave him to his own devices.

It makes the "I told you so" look you give him all the more satisfying.:evil::D

• Members

With all due respect, the drummer doesn't seem like the only one that's confused. 2000 watts is plenty of power to run 9 speakers. Lack of power wasn't the problem.

Well... if indeed the amp was capable of delivering 2000 watts to basically stereo 1 ohm loads (in Calif)... that would mean the amp would possibly be rated somewhere around a 125w @ 8 ohms... :D

• Members

And it's seriously 'underpowered':rolleyes: . Maybe the drummer should get a much bigger amp. Surely more power will solve this one:rolleyes:

Well... a Crown MA-10K would solve the problem. Admittedly at 8 ohms they're only rated somewhere around 800 watts, and admittedly they're a mono amp, but they're stable down to 1/2 ohm... so 16 ea. 8 ohm speakers could be parallel chained... and are rated at 10KW driving a 1/2 ohm load.

• CMS Author

Well... a Crown MA-10K would solve the problem. Admittedly at 8 ohms they're only rated somewhere around 800 watts, and admittedly they're a mono amp, but they're stable down to 1/2 ohm... so 16 ea. 8 ohm speakers could be parallel chained... and are rated at 10KW driving a 1/2 ohm load.

Yup, for sure it is. Just don't worry about that 240v mains power; I've got some good jumper cables out in the truck.....;)

• Members
Thanks guys very well appreciated
now I have other people's input as well. I think this drummer crazy I think he's thinking that 2000 watts was enough to run 9 speakers who knows WTF he was thinking.

As G meantioned, 2000 watts is certainly enough power to split between 9 monitors. That's over 200 watts each, if it could be correctly divied up between them. The power thing wasn't the issue.

Archived