Mixwiz outs to TV camara's, opinions please

• Members

Hello, I was just asked to provide a small system for a TV shoot, the show consists of performers mostly doing vocals to tracks and a few with guitars and keys. There will only be about 15-20 peeps inside as guests so Im just gonna use a set of FBT Maxx4a's as mains, and I will have to use something for monitors as well. I will be using my Mixwiz 16:2 and will have to provide an output or two for camara's. I think it would be better to have a main mix sum output of some sort other than an Aux so what would you guy's use? I think there will be 2 camara's.

Thanks,

• Members

Be sure in advance that they can take line level balanced signal. Video folks are generally pretty lax when it comes to audio preparation. Also, I always suggest using transformer isolation (we use 1:1 ratio) for sending to video anything. Some cameras will output phantom power on their inputs, even in line position (yikes) and then there's the whole video grounding nightmare which you are better off not being a part of.

• Members

I will be using my Mixwiz 16:2 and will have to provide an output or two for camara's. I think it would be better to have a main mix sum output of some sort other than an Aux so what would you guy's use?

If you have an older WZ2 model you could use the AB output. Make sure the nearby recessed switch is set to the L-R position. Select MONO if needed. If you are using the newer WZ3 version then you could get your mono feed by plugging into the main M output which follows the LR post-fade mix and provides its own fader. If you need stereo then you could use the AB output.

All these outputs are line level. As Aged suggested, it may be best to feed through a DI box or isolating transformer to avoid problems with ground loops or interference, or if the camera needs a mic level input. Check that the video input has its phantom power turned off. Whatever output you plug into you can use a simple passive splitter (Y-cable) to split the output to the two cameras.

If you need further help with this let us know.

Regards,

Carey

• Members

Thanks guy's. It is a version 2. I emailed the person in charge this mourning and she replied back that she believes the camera's take a XLR feed, if so that is great!

That's great in that it PROBABLY means that it's a balanced input. yhis info still doesn't tell you if it's a mic or line level input (the difference is about 40-60 db). It also doesn't answer the question about phantom power (aged horse's idea about transformer iso is pretty good) (if you can find a box with a pad on it, it could help you with matching levels as well).

• Members

Yeah.... I had a two hour video shoot of my band playing live last summer be totally destroyed because the camera guy said there would be no problem taking his audio off the mixing board.. The audio was total hash. He took a line level output and it obviously overdrove his cameras to the point of the audio being totally destroyed.

I would certainly suggest a test shoot before starting the actual event.

• Members

Most ENG/EFP work I've done was with Shure mixers (or the newer sound devices mixer) which are pretty simple mixers, a 1:1 transformer would be a good idea, also most video/broadcast that i have worked has used a limiter set pretty hard (compared to what we use for live music).... Try to have extra things with you, adapters and sch, and see if you can do a dry-run (record some of sound check and listen to what the cameras are getting...) also make sure the camera ops are paying attention to the audio input settings on their camera....

• Members

Definately do advance work with the video guy in charge and do it in writing so when they screw it up, you have a paper trail.

Balanced input is one thing (assuming they know what the term means) but it needs to take LINE level as well or you will be wasting your time. A 40dB pad is good in thes instances.

Archived