Should I buy these?

• Members

Got a chance to buy a pair of Peavey PR15's for 200$ w/stands (onstage speaker stands) slightly used no wear and tear my bud's upgrading to the SP's just would like your opinions on them. I've tried them before but can't remember how good they sounded only thing I can remember about them they were super light which was freaking awesome for an old hippie rocker like myself. I know they can't rock out a huge crowd if memory serves me well :o they program at 400 watts which might be good for vox and maybe guitar. Wouldn't expect they would be great running a triggered kit but then again 200$ w/stands is a pretty sweet deal dunno yet, like input before buying one of those buy now deals.

• Members

Got a chance to buy a pair of Peavey PR15's for 200$ w/stands (onstage speaker stands) slightly used no wear and tear my bud's upgrading to the SP's just would like your opinions on them. I've tried them before but can't remember how good they sounded only thing I can remember about them they were super light which was freaking awesome for an old hippie rocker like myself. I know they can't rock out a huge crowd if memory serves me well
:o
they program at 400 watts which might be good for vox and maybe guitar. Wouldn't expect they would be great running a triggered kit but then again 200$ w/stands is a pretty sweet deal dunno yet, like input before buying one of those buy now deals.

Man, I'd jump on it. That's about $500 worth new. I thought I remembered you touting these; I have and love them. I have the PRSubs, too; they've got me spoiled, I don't use my bigger rig unless I really need to.

You could even make a quick $100 if you changed your mind.

Yeah, PR15s are great for small/med area, and have plenty of bass for when you don't need subs.

JMHO

• Members

See... even Agedhorse thinks they could be a "steal".
:idea:

:)

:D Now that's funny.

Yeah, at 200$ with stands, that is an excellent deal. If the guy has the original receipt that would also be a bonus. The PRs are lightweight general purpose speakers that sound good for their price. There have been some problems with the HF drivers and with blown woofers from what I have read but I think if you power them between 200-400 watts and take care of them you should be fine. Can you hear them before you buy? That would probably be a good idea. As was mentionned, if you do change your mind, you most likely won't be losing any money from the deal...Al

• Members

:D
Now that's funny.

Yeah, at 200$ with stands, that is an excellent deal. If the guy has the original receipt that would also be a bonus. The PRs are lightweight general purpose speakers that sound good for their price. There have been some problems with the HF drivers and with blown woofers from what I have read but I think if you power them between 200-400 watts and take care of them you should be fine. Can you hear them before you buy? That would probably be a good idea. As was mentionned, if you do change your mind, you most likely won't be losing any money from the deal...Al

Hey Al, This guy wants too sell me 3 NX350s for $500.00 Ive seen that you had or still have these,whats your scoop on them?

Thanks man!

• Members

Hey Al, This guy wants too sell me 3 NX350s for $500.00 Ive seen that you had or still have these,whats your scoop on them?

Thanks man!

500$ canadian for 3 NX350s is very good if they are in good shape. Do you need 3? I`d try to negotiate a pair for 325$ maybe? I had 4 of them for about 2 years and they were good little boxes that got very loud and had a good smooth response overall. Only 29lbs each! As would be expected, low frequency reproduction is not their strong point - still - 4 of them could deliver pretty satisfying thump together....They have a B&C woofer with 2.5'' voice coil and an Eighteen sound HF 1'' driver. The only drawback to such light weight is they need to be tied down or very snug when transporting them in your vehicle - if not they'll just fall all over the place, unlike a bigger, heavier wooden box.... Al

• Members

Be sure to get a receipt and some ID so if they turn out to be stolen, you MAY have some recourse.

Na Andy not stolen gear he bought them from a online store he's got receipt and warranty info. I've known this guy for years I doubt very seriously he would sell me stolen gear. Besides he's so dam henpecked he can't take a {censored} without wife approval if you know what I mean. He told her that how much he paid for them new and that's why I buying them for 200$ if she only knew the actual price she would have thrown a hissy. She also controls the money and how much visiting time he can spend with me she claims I'm bad influence because I'm an old hippie rocker. Also he helps me on my side jobs (remolding houses) I have to tell her a little white lie about what I pay him so he has a few extra dollars so he can buy his toys . I did help this guy out once, he had a blown Behringer amp and we used my Crown amp but I just can't remember what they sounded like.

• Members

500$ canadian for 3 NX350s is very good if they are in good shape. Do you need 3? I`d try to negotiate a pair for 325$ maybe? I had 4 of them for about 2 years and they were good little boxes that got very loud and had a good smooth response overall. Only 29lbs each! As would be expected, low frequency reproduction is not their strong point - still - 4 of them could deliver pretty satisfying thump together....They have a B&C woofer with 2.5'' voice coil and an Eighteen sound HF 1'' driver. The only drawback to such light weight is they need to be tied down or very snug when transporting them in your vehicle - if not they'll just fall all over the place, unlike a bigger, heavier wooden box.... Al

he wants to sell all three one of them was broken on the coner but he said it has been fixed,sure would be lighter than my elites,maybe i should buy them just for resale,i thinking of maybe monitors.my wife is going to kill me,i just sold a bunch of gear. LOL!

• Members

Na Andy not stolen gear he bought them from a online store he's got receipt and warranty info.

Do you need them? What are you running currently?

Good deal or not, if they don't have a place in your system, they're just another thing to sit around as a storage hassle. Personally, I'm currently dealing with weeding through my "stuff that was a great deal" pile.

• Members

he wants to sell all three one of them was broken on the coner but he said it has been fixed,sure would be lighter than my elites,maybe i should buy them just for resale,i thinking of maybe monitors.my wife is going to kill me,i just sold a bunch of gear. LOL!

Buying new gear is so much fun.... Even if you don`t need it sometimes. It`s fun to just try new stuff and compare with what you've used in the past... My wife almost killed me more than a few times. It comes with the territory when you're a musician I think. :D

• Members

Buying new gear is so much fun.... Even if you don`t need it sometimes. It`s fun to just try new stuff and compare with what you've used in the past... My wife almost killed me more than a few times. It comes with the territory when you're a musician I think.

Al you a musician? for some reason i thought you were just doing a d.j. thing?

• Members

Al you a musician? for some reason i thought you were just doing a d.j. thing?

I'm a DJ on weekends - mostly for weddings, anniversaries etc... I don't scratch vinyl or funky stuff like that. I do sound occasionally, mostly for my brother's band when he needs a PA for smaller bars. I do play drums as well as keyboard and do vocals + harmonies on occasion. I have a CD of French children's songs coming out in May or June on which I wrote all the songs, played all the instruments (drum machine + many many instruments on my keyboard) did vocals and also did the recording for as well. I've been doing the DJ thing for over 15 years and really enjoy a good sounding system at decent levels with no distortion of any kind present. Good sound has always been important to me and is probably the reason I have purchased so many kinds of speakers in my life. Al

• Members

:lol:
Why's it so funky?

I'm more of a sit down, hit play and pause kind of guy that really concentrates on creating a good mix of music to make everybody dance. Weddings and other such occasions make good money around here (average 500$ a night all to myself) while scratching records for teens pays much less and requires more effort and the fact that you have to deal with annoying, disrespectful ''play my song next'' teenagers. Being the DJ at teen dances was fun when I was a teenager and looking for a girlfriend, but nowadays it's just not something I enjoy...

Hey Al, that is so awesome! Good Luck man! Are you going to sell that?

The CD is going to be marketed and sold mostly to school boards/schools in Ontario and parents of course (who visit my French bookstore)since most of the songs are based on themes children learn about in junior and senior kindergarden. dinosaures, clowns etc...

That's awesome too!
:thu:

Good sound is fun. Buying products that produce good sound is also fun. Paying the price for products that make making good sound possible is not quite as much fun. My poor poor Mastercard. :D

• Members

Just to clarify.... by funky, I don't mean old gym shoes funky - I mean play that funky music white boy funky. :D I think I'm just a little lazier than I was when I started out... I've never really tried scratching, which I would probably be good at since my timing is excellent, being a drummer... maybe when I'm old and bored and digital turntables are available at Just a buck. :) Al

• Members

Just to clarify.... by funky, I don't mean old gym shoes funky - I mean play that funky music white boy funky.
I think I'm just a little lazier than I was when I started out... I've never really tried scratching, which I would probably be good at since my timing is excellent, being a drummer... maybe when I'm old and bored and digital turntables are available at Just a buck.
:)
Al

Well that's good that you meant that "funky"! Scratching is quite complicated, I mean I am not a turntablist or scratcher by any means, but I have used digital CD players with built in scratch wheels before (American Audio CDI-500, Pioneer CDJ-800, etc) and it is quite complicated to match the beats and line everything up with out a visual representation (i.e. just using your ears), it takes much practice! It is much easier with software (Virtual DJ, Traktor, CUE, etc) to line everything up since you can "see" the music and line the beats up. And the built in scratch wheels in the software let you scratch your music with the click and pull of your mouse, it's pretty amazing! Enthusiasts can now scratch at home with some software w/o dropping thousands on good turntables and a mixer! But, it's just not the same w/o the turntables in front of you on the table. Also, the beauty of the new software out there is that you can store 3 or more Cue points per song so that you can just "click and play" later on from the perfect spot. Much of the new software also has built in effects that help you make you music sound better or remix a little on the spot! And searching through your huge music collection is easier with the click of a few keys... anyway you should just dl a sample of something like Virtual DJ and try it out, it is quite fun and amusing!

I one day want to get either the Rane Serato Scratch Live software/sound card system or the Stanton Final Scratch 2 software/sound card system and a set of the Technics SL-1200/1210 turntables and a good mixer and really get into scratching and remixing. I've got friends asking me if I do mixtapes, cuz they wanna hear what I can do. I think it would be pretty sweet to get into that stuff! I just need about $2000 and a better computer first, hmmm...

You should give it a try next time you have a little bit of downtime!

Your fellow DJ buddy, Adam.

• Members

Well that's good that you meant that "funky"! Scratching is quite complicated, I mean I am not a turntablist or scratcher by any means, but I have used digital CD players with built in scratch wheels before (American Audio CDI-500, Pioneer CDJ-800, etc) and it is quite complicated to match the beats and line everything up with out a visual representation (i.e. just using your ears), it takes much practice! It is much easier with software (Virtual DJ, Traktor, CUE, etc) to line everything up since you can "see" the music and line the beats up. And the built in scratch wheels in the software let you scratch your music with the click and pull of your mouse, it's pretty amazing! Enthusiasts can now scratch at home with some software w/o dropping thousands on good turntables and a mixer! But, it's just not the same w/o the turntables in front of you on the table. Also, the beauty of the new software out there is that you can store 3 or more Cue points per song so that you can just "click and play" later on from the perfect spot. Much of the new software also has built in effects that help you make you music sound better or remix a little on the spot! And searching through your huge music collection is easier with the click of a few keys... anyway you should just dl a sample of something like Virtual DJ and try it out, it is quite fun and amusing!

I one day want to get either the Rane Serato Scratch Live software/sound card system or the Stanton Final Scratch 2 software/sound card system and a set of the Technics SL-1200/1210 turntables and a good mixer and really get into scratching and remixing. I've got friends asking me if I do mixtapes, cuz they wanna hear what I can do. I think it would be pretty sweet to get into that stuff! I just need about $2000 and a better computer first, hmmm...

You should give it a try next time you have a little bit of downtime!

Your fellow DJ buddy, Adam.

Ahhh mixed tapes. I was popular for that when I was in my teens. I had all the latest music on CD and everyone knew me from the teendances...At one point word got around that I had done a mixed tape for one girl and next thing I know more girls are asking me for tapes.... I really didn't mind if they were cute. :love: Anyway, yeah it does look cool to mix music. I imagine it's easier beat matching with a computer since the computer can probably do it automatically for you.... I'll have to check it out some time. It's good to finally know your name DJ Swydez. I mean Adam. ''I can call you Adam, Adam when you call me, you can call me Al''. (it's a Paul Simon tune - just in case you're not familiar with it) :D Your Pal Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Got a chance to buy a pair of Peavey PR15's for 200$ w/stands (onstage speaker stands) slightly used no wear and tear my bud's upgrading to the SP's just would like your opinions on them. I've tried them before but can't remember how good they sounded only thing I can remember about them they were super light which was freaking awesome for an old hippie rocker like myself. I know they can't rock out a huge crowd if memory serves me well
:o
they program at 400 watts which might be good for vox and maybe guitar. Wouldn't expect they would be great running a triggered kit but then again 200$ w/stands is a pretty sweet deal dunno yet, like input before buying one of those buy now deals.

Do you mean this ones?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_peavey_pr_15_loudspeaker?full_sku=104006200

I think he's stealing from you..:cry:

I can get them at GC for $145.00 ea.;)

But I'm getting the SP5's ;)

• Members

Hamer,

If those nx350's are in good shape sonically - BUT THEM!

I've owned two of those for about 3 years now - served as both mains and monitors for me with absolutely no issues. EXCELLENT monitors for vocals, horns, acoustics, guitars etc..... and what a breeze to move!

I bought mine new from Audioeast in '04 for ~$300 each USD. They are still going very strong.

• Members
Hamer,

Well thanks for the advice, Dont get me wrong I love sex and have tried a few things in my life .I think BUTTING speakers is a little to kinky for me ! LOL! LOL!

• Members

Do you mean this ones?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_peavey_pr_15_loudspeaker?full_sku=104006200

I think he's stealing from you..
:cry:

I can get them at GC for $145.00 ea.
;)

But I'm getting the SP5's
;)

Yep those be the ones with a pair of on stage stands to boot I gonna buy them Saturday 200$ and stands is just to hard to resist even though our band uses JBL's always could use them for backwoods BBQ parties with our favorite Cd's never thought I would be a DJ but what the heck gotta be a first time for every thing :cool:

• Members

Hamer,

Well thanks for the advice, Dont get me wrong I love sex and have tried a few things in my life .I think BUTTING speakers is a little to kinky for me ! LOL! LOL!

LOL! Uhh...yeah.. I meant BUY them...

Archived