What speaker is this?

• Members

Thanks soul-x

Yep...that looks to be the one. I think it is the "L" version, which I think means it's meant for guitar and not bass (the "B" version). As such, I believe it rolls off fairly precipitously at about 60hz or so, so it might not be the best bass cab speaker.

• Members

It's the older version of the EVM-15L. Good speaker, limited power for bass guitar due to the short VC winding height. Powered in a well tuned cabinet up to about 250-300 watts RMS MAX should be ok, but don't expect really deep low end.

• Members

Thanks soul-x

Yep...that looks to be the one. I think it is the "L" version, which I think means it's meant for guitar and not bass (the "B" version). As such, I believe it rolls off fairly precipitously at about 60hz or so, so it might not be the best bass cab speaker.

The EV 15(L and B alike), are favorites among bassists. The SRO is an OEM version. Not much in the way of power handling, but the efficiency makes up for it. I think it can be reconed into either config.

• Members

The Electrovoice EVM Series (10, 12, 15), in either B or L were rated 200, 400, 800 watts. 800 Watts being Peak, and, 400 watts Program Power.

The L stood for Lead Guitar, and, the B stands for Bass Guitar. :thu:

They are classed as loudspeakers not woofers.

I use the 15 Bs and feed them on a QSC PL 6.0 (From 120 Hz - 1.5 Khz) BUT use the power for head room. Before the PL 6.0, I had them on an old QSC EX 4000 but, I found I would trigger the clip light at times so, I upgraded.

The EX 4000 puts out 1200 watts per channel @ 4 ohms. So, that's 600 watts per driver. Now, they have 2000 watts per channel of headroom (1000 watts per driver) with no complaints.

I know many may think they won't last long. But, I've been running them on the EX 4000 for 7 years and, the PL 6.0 for 3 years. If you know when to back off it is possible :thu:

For bass use, I wouldn't give them more than 250 watts due to their 3mm excursion and, high fs (43 Hz) figure. The EVM is most efficent in the Low Mid - Mid High Frequencies and, that's were they excel the best.

• Members

I agree.

I've lent amplifiers to guys and, their response were pretty much the same.

"The amp played good but it killed my woofers"

From my experience, I've found using more boxes keeps you further away from blowing up things when going beyond the program ratings of the speakers.

Incidently, I would never try such a thing with my subs. Music is just going lower and lower these days. Excursion limits are being reached much faster than ever before.

And I never lend out my speakers to anyone either :)

Archived