I sold all my big gear Im so happy and life is better

• Members

Aw! Life is good! Sold all my power amps, subs, mixer,comp,ect..

I now go to gigs with my yorkville mp8DX (powered mixer 8 channel) my rane e.q. two elite 408s on stands and small roland monitors that mount on mic stands,and it all sounds great! only takes minutes to set up compared to a hour befor with all the other gear. So cool!

• Members
I wish I could do that, but in the places I end up running sound in they would kill me if that's all I showed up with, LOL.[/

QUOTE]

you play in the band as well? if we play a bigger gig the bass player has bigger gear that we use but that powered mixer is only 400 watts for the front end and it kicks butt!! and loud as hell I know it has alot to do with the elite speakers

• Members

I'm not in a band right now ( I do however play guitar and sing ). I've been mostly a hired gun soundman. The PA I bring is pretty big for most of the rooms I'm in, but I rather have more than I need for when the club gets really loud and the manager says I need to turn it up.

Including the mains and monitor amps it's 10,200 watts. enormus, but o so fun.

• Members

I'm not in a band right now ( I do however play guitar and sing ). I've been mostly a hired gun soundman. The PA I bring is pretty big for most of the rooms I'm in, but I rather have more than I need for when the club gets really loud and the manager says I need to turn it up.

Including the mains and monitor amps it's 10,200 watts. enormus, but o so fun.

Yep been there,thats all I can say,just got tired of doing all that,

• Members

I now go to gigs with my yorkville mp8DX (powered mixer 8 channel) my rane e.q. two elite 408s on stands and small roland monitors that mount on mic stands,and it all sounds great! only takes minutes to set up compared to a hour befor with all the other gear. So cool!

dude. you ARE NOT happy, you only THINK you are happy.

You need to go back to an AH mixwiz, You need to be micing your whole drum kit and running 4 monitor mixes. (plus, you want seperate components so you'll be able to easily expand when you go big time)

and don't tell me your drummer is loud enough from the stage to fill the room. If thats the case, he needs to play quieter. It doesn't matter if it feels good on stage or not. Its not about feeling the music in your bones, it about keeping your stage volume really really low so your sound guy has complete control of what the audience hears. And speaking of that, you need that snake so you can run the board to the back of the room where your sound guy is gonna sit, cause you make PLENTLY of money every night to pay him and the roadie thats required to set up your IEMs. Speaking of which...

You need to run IEMs like all real bands do. Don't worry about the isolation problems with IEMs, just look at Dave Matthews, he uses IEMs and they just set up a bunch of ambient mics and lapel mics so they can talk on stage. It only takes an extra 20 minutes a night to set it up. You've got the time!

You need to run powered tops so you get the extra umph from biamping. And running the extra power cable isnt a bother. You need to run a signal cable to the cabinet either way, and who cares where the power plugs are in the room! Bring some extension cords and run em! Buy the big orange or green extension cables from home depot. You've got plently of time to set it up every night.

and speaking of tops, you've got to run subs dude! come on! who cares if its a 125 lb box. Your back is strong, and you need the sub so you can thump everyone in the room with the kick. You also need to run the subs off an aux, so the mixwiz mentioned above is required. Just don't work any other way.

you are NOT happy. Your listeners are NOT happy. It does NOT sound good, it is NOT cool! You only think that!

;)

• Members

dude. you ARE NOT happy, you only THINK you are happy.

You need to go back to an AH mixwiz, You need to be micing your whole drum kit and running 4 monitor mixes. (plus, you want seperate components so you'll be able to easily expand when you go big time)

and don't tell me your drummer is loud enough from the stage to fill the room. If thats the case, he needs to play quieter. It doesn't matter if it feels good on stage or not. Its not about feeling the music in your bones, it about keeping your stage volume really really low so your sound guy has complete control of what the audience hears. And speaking of that, you need that snake so you can run the board to the back of the room where your sound guy is gonna sit, cause you make PLENTLY of money every night to pay him and the roadie thats required to set up your IEMs. Speaking of which...

You need to run IEMs like all real bands do. Don't worry about the isolation problems with IEMs, just look at Dave Matthews, he uses IEMs and they just set up a bunch of ambient mics and lapel mics so they can talk on stage. It only takes an extra 20 minutes a night to set it up. You've got the time!

You need to run powered tops so you get the extra umph from biamping. And running the extra power cable isnt a bother. You need to run a signal cable to the cabinet either way, and who cares where the power plugs are in the room! Bring some extension cords and run em! Buy the big orange or green extension cables from home depot. You've got plently of time to set it up every night.

and speaking of tops, you've got to run subs dude! come on! who cares if its a 125 lb box. Your back is strong, and you need the sub so you can thump everyone in the room with the kick. You also need to run the subs off an aux, so the mixwiz mentioned above is required. Just don't work any other way.

you are NOT happy. Your listeners are NOT happy. It does NOT sound good, it is NOT cool! You only think that!

;)

You have made my day,as its allways good to start a day with a good laugh,I like all the YOU NEED and YOU NEED TOO ,you dont have a clue what I do .I play small clubs like about 100 to 200 max and also the bass player has all the big gear we bring for large gigs. LOL thanks anyway and my back is not strong. LOL!

• Members

You have made my day,as its allways good to start a day with a good laugh,I like all the YOU NEED and YOU NEED TOO ,you dont have a clue what I do .I play small clubs like about 100 to 200 max and also the bass player has all the big gear we bring for large gigs. LOL thanks anyway and my back is not strong. LOL!

you do realize don't you? that my post was COMPLETELY sarcastic. it was dripping with sarcasm.

I just bought a yamaha EMX512SC powered "lunchbox" mixer yesterday, because 1. it's only 22 lbs. and 2. half the places we play, we don't need anything more than a speaker on a stick and one floor monitor, micing only the vocals and the sax.

i am totally WITH you.

:thu:

• CMS Author

you do realize don't you? that my post was COMPLETELY sarcastic. it was dripping with sarcasm.

I just bought a yamaha EMX512SC powered "lunchbox" mixer yesterday, because 1. it's only 22 lbs. and 2. half the places we play, we don't need anything more than a speaker on a stick and one floor monitor, micing only the vocals and the sax.

i am totally WITH you.

How are you handling the other half? Is the Yamaha a "B" system? There's a lot to be said for having a flexible 'inventory' of gear to use depending upon the venue.

• Members

Did you consider the Bose PAS system?

yes I did but I had all of this gear so all i did was downscale so I didnt have to buy anything only thing now is a powered sub would be nice

• Members

i am totally WITH you.

well to tell the truth I wasnt sure if you were being sarcastic or not,I was thinking whats this guy trying to say LOL! anyway all is good

Peace and happness!!

• Members

How are you handling the other half? Is the Yamaha a "B" system? There's a lot to be said for having a flexible 'inventory' of gear to use depending upon the venue.

Yes - the Yamaha emx512 is a B system.

I've also got:

(2) JBL 418s

(2) JBL SRX712M

(2) FBT Maxx4a

(2) Cerwin Vega PSX-122 for floor monitors

and a few other wedges that work ok if the drummer just wants to hear some vocals.

(1) QSC PLXII 1804

(1) QSC PLXII 3102

(1) Yamaha MG16/6fx

(1) Shure PSM200 system

(1) Shure P4M

(1) Shure PSM400 system

(1) pair UE-7 ambients earbuds

(1) pair Westone UM1 earbuds

(1) pair Shure E2 earbuds

For the shows where we need to provide sound (up to 300 peeps), we've got all we need. Bigger shows we'll mic the kick and do one overhead (just to keep the drums bright to the back of the room).We always run sound from stage and keep things simple. I sometimes use IEMs, everyone else is happy with a few wedges across the front.

I DO like to take the sub and run the (upright) bass and kick through it. but I'm not sure anyone in the audience appreciates it as much as I.

I dislike powered speakers because it's often not as simple to run power to them as people like to think.

I have a love/hate relationship with IEMs.

It's ALL good if the music is good!!!

• Members

Na dude your just old.:lol: Hang it up and go play in a coffe shop and play American Pie and other folk tunes.:evil: I just turned 45 still love a tandem axle trailer with a 15-20k$ full rig that pays only 250$ tops here in my area. Doubt I'll ever go back to the old back seat rig you got. Even when they wheel chair my ass up to the stage and all my money goes to a roadie for wheel chairing my ass up on the stage, I love the almost collapse a lung sub hitting my chest still rejuvinates my ass.:wave:

• Members

Na dude your just old.
:lol:
Hang it up and go play in a coffe shop and play American Pie and other folk tunes.
:evil:
I just turned 45 still love a tandem axle trailer with a 15-20k$ full rig that pays only 250$ tops here in my area. Doubt I'll ever go back to the old back seat rig you got. Even when they wheel chair my ass up to the stage and all my money goes to a roadie for wheel chairing my ass up on the stage, I love the almost collapse a lung sub hitting my chest still rejuvinates my ass.
:wave:

Well some get smarter with age ,and some ,well you said it all LOL!

By the way there is nothing wrong with American Pie and its not a Folk song ,as far as a back seat rig,ive been looking at the new bose stick system that fits in the back seat and sounds great! so as far as (dude your too old) It may be , your to old minded

• Members

Well some get smarter with age ,and some ,well you said it all LOL!

By the way there is nothing wrong with American Pie and its not a Folk song ,as far as a back seat rig,ive been looking at the new bose stick system that fits in the back seat and sounds great! so as far as (dude your too old) It may be , your to old minded

No offence to ya Hamer about the age :o I'm still a kid at heart, I don't look or act my age. I got late start didn't make decent money until my late 30's just making up lost time, and yea your probably right about some folks getting smarter with age and I'm old minded lol :lol: but I haven't hit that age yet our last drummer was 57 and still pounding new songs like Chevelle and Drowning Pool. Sounds like the system your interested in would work out fine and BTW I actually love the song American Pie and I miss the old back seat rig sometimes but doing Enter Sandman by Metallica at a coffe house wouldn't go over to good but then again if I could still sing Margaritaville in a coffee house I would in a heart beat. But strip my vocal chords out beyond repair (X Lead Singers Disease) because of way to loud stage volume and under sized PA system finally got seriuos on the bass about 3 years ago after goofing around with the bass for a decade finally learned timing which was the hardest thing for me to learn at such a late start, but anyway Hamer enjoy your new system and peace out my fellow musician. :wave:

• Members

No offence to ya Hamer about the age
:o
I'm still a kid at heart, I don't look or act my age. I got late start didn't make decent money until my late 30's just making up lost time, and yea your probably right about some folks getting smarter with age and I'm old minded lol
:lol:
but I haven't hit that age yet our last drummer was 57 and still pounding new songs like Chevelle and Drowning Pool. Sounds like the system your interested in would work out fine and BTW I actually love the song American Pie and I miss the old back seat rig sometimes but doing Enter Sandman by Metallica at a coffe house wouldn't go over to good but then again if I could still sing Margaritaville in a coffee house I would in a heart beat. But strip my vocal chords out beyond repair (X Lead Singers Disease) because of way to loud stage volume and under sized PA system finally got seriuos on the bass about 3 years ago after goofing around with the bass for a decade finally learned timing which was the hardest thing for me to learn at such a late start, but anyway Hamer enjoy your new system and peace out my fellow musician.
:wave:

Hey thanks man,all is good,and your statement about Margaritaville we start every gig with it,you hit that one right on the button!

also if I said anything you might have got offended with,Sorry!

Archived