In Ear help- Hard wired options?

• Members

Hello All,

I am playing drums and I need some ideas on what I should be looking at as far as In Ear units. I got molded and have Ultimate ears on the way. I dont need any buds. I do need a unit to run my mix and it must have a limiter- for safety reasons. I dont want anyone to hit a lead boost and break my eardrums. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Will a Shure PSM600 hardwire unit do the trick?

Any other options?

Being a drummer- I'd rather it not be wireless

For cost reasons as well.

Thanks all!

• CMS Author

Hello All,

I am playing drums and I need some ideas on what I should be looking at as far as In Ear units. I got molded and have Ultimate ears on the way. I dont need any buds. I do need a unit to run my mix and it must have a limiter- for safety reasons. I dont want anyone to hit a lead boost and break my eardrums. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Will a Shure PSM600 hardwire unit do the trick?

Any other options?

Being a drummer- I'd rather it not be wireless

For cost reasons as well.

Thanks all!

All of the Shure PSM range have limiters. The 200 is mono, the 400, 600 and 700 are 2-channel, supporting either a stereo mix or two discrete mixes per transmitter. The 700 does not have a wired option...no input jack on the bodypack.

• CMS Author

The output of many compressors (and mixers, CD players, etc.) will drive the buds just fine. Just make up an adapter cable and give it a try.

Of the devices you mention, only a compressor has the possibility of having a limiter, which is an absolute must for IEM's. And that assumes the user has a clue of how to set up the limiting to actually protect their hearing.

cqc6,

No matter what you try, be certain it has a working limiter. Live music has dynamic peaks that can damage hearing, and an accident such as feedback can absolutely damage it. Commercial IEM systems have limiting built-in that does not have to be adjusted to the input level.

• Members

Hey,

Thanks for the help!

I guess the easiest thing to do is go with a PSM600 hardwired system- since it has a built in limiter. My next question is where can I get one-???

I dont need the ear buds. I have Ultimate Ears being made. UE7's

I see the Shure PSM600 pack everywhere- but it comes with buds.

Thanks again! I appreciate the help!

• CMS Author

Hey,

Thanks for the help!

I guess the easiest thing to do is go with a PSM600 hardwired system- since it has a built in limiter. My next question is where can I get one-???

I dont need the ear buds. I have Ultimate Ears being made. UE7's

I see the Shure PSM600 pack everywhere- but it comes with buds.

Thanks again! I appreciate the help!

Just look for a P6HW wired beltpack.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-P6HW-Hardwired-Personal-Monitor-Bodypack?sku=243611

Note that the 600 and 400 series hardwire system beltpacks are NOT convertible to wireless like the 200 series, so if you want to upgrade, you're starting out at Square 1.

• Members

Hey,

Thanks for the help!

Wow- $499.00 + a $900.00 set of buds= pretty pricey.

The buds are being made right now and I should have em in a few days.

I guess Its all worth it to get my mix right. Thanks!

• Members

I just sold a Shure 400 wired unit a few months ago. Perfect for a drummer that doesn't mind being tethered in place. The 400 has the limiter as well.

I don't see the benefits of buying the 600 wired pack vs. the 400 wired pack. The 600 has a metal case, but if you take care of your equipment- the 400 is just fine for less cash.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-P4HW-Hardwired-Bodypack-for-PSM-400-Systems?sku=243606

I bought a 5-pin Neutrik XLR and spliced into the wired leads. That way you can simply disconnect the belt pack if you need to get up and move around without having to take off the beltpack. :)

• Members

Hey,

Thanks! I just ordered the PSM600HW from Nothern Sound.

They had a great price for it, blew Musicians friend out of the water!

Thanks for the help all! I hope this rig sounds killer! It was expensive!

:thu:

• Members

Hey,

I am glad I purchased this stuff-

The more people I talk to about say its the only way to go. It'll prtect my hearing- 25db isolation and the belt pack has a limiter. The audioligist said its the best investment any musician can make. He said if I didnt get these I'd be back for hearing aid eventually. He said just dont over do it since it should sound amazing. Better then any floorwedge can ever sound- at a safe leval also.

I hope it doesnt take long to get use to the Ultimate Ears.

Archived