A question for Mark (Audiopile)

• Members

Have you thought about a Neodynium (sp?) line of speakers? 12" and 15" neo speakers with the same specs as your current line? I have heard that the price of neodynium is offset by the reduced shipping charges from the lighter weight. I don't know if that is true, or maybe not applicable in your case?

If you did have some of these, I would for sure buy them.

Just curious,

Les Webb

• Members

Mark quit the forum try emailing his web over at Audiopile is was a tragic loss truly a great professional for us aspiring SE's
:cry:

I could be mistaken, but I think he's posting as W.M.Hellinger.

I could be wrong. :confused:

• Members

Have you thought about a Neodynium (sp?) I have heard that the price of neodynium is offset by the reduced shipping charges from the lighter weight ...

Nd is still a considerable more expensive than ferrite (at the same magentic strength). Shipping cost (by container) is mostly by volume not by weight, so a neo driver doesn't offer any cost savings.

• Members

I've been working on developing a line of Nd drivers, but I don't have a combination that I consider to be "right" yet.

Yes... I used to post under the handle of Audiopile. When I first signed up with HC... some odd years ago, I seem to remember HC required an alis... hence "Audiopile". I prefer just using my name... since that's what it's for.

• Members

I've been working on developing a line of Nd drivers, but I don't have a combination that I consider to be "right" yet.

Yes... I used to post under the handle of Audiopile. When I first signed up with HC... some odd years ago, I seem to remember HC required an alis... hence "Audiopile". I prefer just using my name... since that's what it's for.

Using your real name makes you really cool. :thu: Al Poulin

LOOK, I'm giving you the thumbs up in my picture! Welcome back!

• Members

I'm ready for another story...

AS

Ok, here's a "you ever been this tired?" story:

I was thrashing wheat, on The Columbia Plateau. The thrashing crew had been running for about a month... 5:00am to approx 10:00pm. 7 days a week. So... we shut down one night... greased and fueled... truck drivers took off, then Greg and I... the two combine operators piled in a pick-up and headed for the cook shed. Greg's wife made omlets and hashbrowns for dinner. Greg and I ate dinner, thanked the cook, sat on the back porch, put on our boots and piled in the pickup. Drove to the field, fired up the combines and tied into the cut. About 20 minutes later we're wondering where the truck drivers are (bulk tanks are full)... and "why isn't the sun coming up?" See... We were used to the sun coming up about a bulk tank after breakfast... and nothing was making sense.

About 20 minutes later, Greg's wife showed up... and convinced us it was time to go to bed, NOT time to "hit it" for another day.

• Members

Woo Hoo! Mark is back!
:thu:

It is a happy day... Being the sentimental person I am, I am sad to see anyone not enjoying this forum or even worse deciding to leave. I am very happy Mark is back. Also, thank you CraigV for moderating. I like your new avatar. That scary dude you had at the begining scared the crap out of me and really didn't suit your personality... Anyway, This forum is almost like a third family to me.... :cry: Okay, I know, we're men, macho pro audio men, we don't talk about feelings and stuff.... but thanks to everyone for being so great and for being so nice to me and for being such nice people in general. I know sometimes I may go off topic and seem like I don't want to shut up but...thanks for asking my opinion and giving me the chance participate... And have you seen the price of gas lately? It's crazy! And there was this guy in my backyard today, trying to steal carrots from my garden, so I yelled at him and he told me about this recipe for carrot soup that would make you.........:D Al

• CMS Author

That scary dude you had at the begining scared the crap out of me and really didn't suit your personality...

Bug-eyed Earl?? Aw, he's harmless, and just a little creepy. Just like me:D

Red Meat is a somewhat scary but really funny comic you won't find in any newspaper.

• Members

Yep ... I agree with Boseman and in fact the cost of Neo magnets has risen faster than conventional magnets recently.

btw ... Peavey has just released a line on Neo equiped Black Widow drivers. Because of the smaller size of the magnets, our engineers have been able to add a special cooling system to the magnet structure that increases the power handling of the speakers by 300% to 400% with no other changes. So anyone with BW speakers can buy just the new magnet assembly and bolt it on to their current speakers and get the improvement. It raises the power handling from 500W continuous to 650 to 700W depending on the model.

We will be doing the same with the scorpion line soon so SP5 users will be able to do the same.

• Members

Don's example shows how an increase in one parameter does not necessicarily translate into an increase across the board in the final assembly. That's about a 30% net increase, I would assume due to mechanical limitations. a 400% increase from 500 watts continuous would be roughly 2000 watts, putting the current of an 8 ohm nominal load at 23 amps or past the fusing point of the VC wire. Then there's the suspension issues.

Speaker design is the result of balancing a lot of very interdependant and complex variables, not simply the matter of changing the magic magnet material.

Archived