Behringer MX8000???

• Members

Ok, so the only reason I am even bothering to ask about this desk is that I can get a really good deal on one. REALLY GOOD. I know all of the horror stories about Behringer stuff but from what I have read, this is an exception. Anybody have any thoughts on this mixer??? I have a chance to get one in good condition for $300. Dude is going to have all of the pots and faders cleaned and have the board inspected before purchase. Like I said, any info would be appreciated....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If it works, it is a great deal for $300. Behringer basically copied the Mackie 8 bus board and for an eight bus, it isn't bad. I believe Mackie sued Behringer over that particular board and lost the suit, but it is an almost exact copy.

The EQ is pretty weak, but if you are using it to record with, simply don't use the EQ. Other than that, they are decent and fairly quiet and would make a good board for a home studio. The mic preamps aren't terrible, at least on a par with Mackie, Yamaha, Samson, etc. pre's and the routing flexibility is quite impressive.

Make sure you get the meter bridge.

• Members

Cleaning the pots and faders is a good way to completely ruin the console, for what it's worth. The pots may not be cleanable on that board though which will at least prevent their damage. Spraying stuff into faders is plain stupid. It's what the inexperienced folks do before they have to bring a console in for a real fader service (now a replacement).

• Members

I'll GIVE you tree-fiddy to throw it in the trash.

Feel free to go ahead and put the check in the mail. On second thought, I would prefer a money order or a cashiers check.

P.s. Aged,

If he takes it to who I think ihe's going to, this guys isn't going to be spraying stuff in the faders and pots. He's very thorough. Everything is removed/loosened and cleaned with isopropyl and cloth. No pouring or spraying.

• Members

P.s. Aged,

If he takes it to who I think ihe's going to, this guys isn't going to be spraying stuff in the faders and pots. He's very thorough. Everything is removed/loosened and cleaned with isopropyl and cloth. No pouring or spraying.

He's not going to get that kind of service and be able to seel it for $350. The important info is between the lines.

• Members

He's not going to get that kind of service and be able to seel it for $350. The important info is between the lines.

I see your point. Just saying that if this particular tech checks out the board, I know it will be accurate. Really just wondering about the reliability of the equipment itself... I have always steered clear of their boards.

• Members

that's the whole point I am getting at. Is this board even worth touching if it were new. As a whole, is a reliable board. Was it laden with problems from the get go?? Did the manufacturer put human feces inside rather than wiring??? If you crack it open, is it full of candy like a pinata?? Not getting into the politics of whether my 300 dollars should go towards this board.

All I want to know is was it a decent model or was it just another Behringer???

• Members

The only reason anyone buys a Behr*****r is because it's cheap. That's it. No other reason. If that's your goal, go ahead and risk your (easily replaced?) money.

tree-fiddy = $3.50. That's all it's worth.

• Members

Cool, appreciate it. That's what I was figuring, but wondered if this one might be different. For 300 I figured I might grab it and use it as a rental piece for bands around town. But, I don't feel like messing with the repairs on it.

• Members

It IS a reliable board. Don't let the politics of Behringer get into the discussion of the validity of the equipment.

They are reliable and well worth the $300 you are paying.

And I have been cleaning faders and pots with spray cleaners for years and years with no ill effects. I have an MX 8000 I bought new when they first came out. Paid something like $1,600 for it. It has never failed and works as well today as it did when brand new. It is a great live sound board and like I said, as long as you don't rely on the EQ for recording...since it's EQ is the weak link...it is clean and quiet.

But the politics of Behringer always gets in the way of reviews of the actual equipment. I have six Behringer boards and never had one fail...ever. I also have Soundcraft, Yamaha, Mackie and Samson boards and only the Mackie has had a failure.

• Members

Don't let the politics of Behringer get into the discussion of the validity of the equipment.

Politics? It's purely technical. It's cheap gear for many reasons, none of which are politics.

• Members

Don't let the politics of Behringer get into the discussion of the validity of the equipment.

Politics has nothing to do with the ills of Behringer.

You neglect to mention substandard components, poor design, poor quality, poor warranty repair service, retailers that quit carrying Behringers, repair shops that quit repairing Behringers, equalizers that don't, compressors that don't, preamplifiers that don't, power amplifiers that don't, deceptive statements like "We have Roland's blessing to make these Boss knockoffs", getting slapped with million dollar FCC fines for ignoring compliance of EMI standards...

• CMS Author

IMO it is indeed both a "political" and technical issue. One can't be told to just ignore something that bothers them about a product or the company that sells it.

If you wish to buy a given product, that is of course your option. If you've had good luck with a given company's products, that too is information worth sharing. But it is just as important to allow people who have had bad experiences share them. If there happen to be a lot of people with similar experiences, that doesn't mean people are piling-on just to 'bash' the product or company. One would hope that a company observing such issues discussed about them would take measures to improve their products and image.

• Members

GZsound - you are clearly qualifying your technical experience. Cleaning faders by spraying anything into them will ruin them. There are none that I know of that will survive long term with that kind of treatment. Perhaps your experience is more limited than you realize?

To clarify, if you choose to "repair" customer's equipment that way, you are doing a dis-service to them in that not only will they be paying for inferior service, but the chemicals can make future service more costly and less reliable once it contaminates the PCBs and serves to attract additional dirt, dust and muck. Suggesting that other people do this to their equipment is not very responsible IMO. (If you do this to your equipment, that's your business and all the power to yo and your method.)

• Members

GZsound - you are clearly qualifying your technical experience. Cleaning faders by spraying anything into them will ruin them. There are none that I know of that will survive long term with that kind of treatment. Perhaps your experience is more limited than you realize?

To clarify, if you choose to "repair" customer's equipment that way, you are doing a dis-service to them in that not only will they be paying for inferior service, but the chemicals can make future service more costly and less reliable once it contaminates the PCBs and serves to attract additional dirt, dust and muck. Suggesting that other people do this to their equipment is not very responsible IMO. (If you do this to your equipment, that's your business and all the power to yo and your method.)

Well... perhaps I should qualify my technical experience.

Four years as a US Navy Electronics Technician and thirty five years working on electronic equipment.

When I clean faders, I take them off the board or open them to access the wiper and the conducter. I use spray to clean out any built up residue, dust, etc. and then wipe and lubricate the interior of the fader. It has worked well for me for many years and I have mixers that are twenty years old and still work just fine.

The chemical spray I use does not come into any contact with any PCB's and is only used on the interior of the faders. It is spray designed for electronic audio and video equipment and is safe on all plastics and PCB material.

Since you did not ask or specify what spray or technique I use, I can only assume you have jumped to a wrong conclusion.

• Members

Any manufacturer who wants to make cheap crap can make cheap crap.

Behringer just specializes in making stuff for cheap.

I have a mackie DFX12. Worst board ever. Channels 1 and 2 are dead. The switch that lets the graphic EQ work for either the monitor mix or the main mix causes stuff to cut in or out. The faders feel cheap.

I have 4 behringer boards. Across them, the only problem I have is on a MX802 a pot for the last stereo channels high eq is scratchy.

I think older behringer equipment was built better than the current stuff.

I think any manufacturer can make cheap crap.

Quality cost money. Advertising cost money. Every body is out to make money.

Getting back to the origional question:

I have a eurodesk MX3282A. The MX8000 is from the same time when the MX3282A was made. I think the MX3282A is reliable and I will keep it until it dies. It has worked without a single problem for the last 4 years. If the MX8000 has been well cared for, I think it would be worth getting. It is not going to sound like an A&H board, but it will get a big job done well.

• Members

Imwithpepe - Just beware of failing switches on the MX-400's. Just did a rebuild where I replaced 96 switches (with real ITE parts) because the originals suffered from massive failure. The replacements must be done by someone very experienced with servicing this stuff (not your average hack tech) because they can ruin the entire console very easily. The basic console is very good and well built but they had a large run of poor quality switches.

• Members

Well... perhaps I should qualify my technical experience.

Four years as a US Navy Electronics Technician and thirty five years working on electronic equipment.

When I clean faders, I take them off the board or open them to access the wiper and the conducter. I use spray to clean out any built up residue, dust, etc. and then wipe and lubricate the interior of the fader. It has worked well for me for many years and I have mixers that are twenty years old and still work just fine.

The chemical spray I use does not come into any contact with any PCB's and is only used on the interior of the faders. It is spray designed for electronic audio and video equipment and is safe on all plastics and PCB material.

Since you did not ask or specify what spray or technique I use, I can only assume you have jumped to a wrong conclusion.

I concluded what any REASONABLE person who expected faders and pots to be cleaned and serviced on a $350 console would expect. Really now, for $350 (INCLUDING THE CONSOLE) would you clean all the faders and pots that way? First of all, I do not think the pots are even disasssemble-able, and even if the were, every pot would have to be removed from the pcbs to do so. Then you have a whole bunch of faders to do that to. A totally unrealistic expectation and your comment would lead some folks to assume it was ok to spray that magic {censored} into their faders and ruin their otherwise working console. How about being a little more thorough with your recomendations if you don't want to be criticized for providing (otherwise) poor advice?

• Members

I concluded what any REASONABLE person who expected faders and pots to be cleaned and serviced on a $350 console would expect. Really now, for $350 (INCLUDING THE CONSOLE) would you clean all the faders and pots that way? First of all, I do not think the pots are even disasssemble-able, and even if the were, every pot would have to be removed from the pcbs to do so. Then you have a whole bunch of faders to do that to. A totally unrealistic expectation and your comment would lead some folks to assume it was ok to spray that magic {censored} into their faders and ruin their otherwise working console. How about being a little more thorough with your recomendations if you don't want to be criticized for providing (otherwise) poor advice?

Ahh... now you change the criteria to fit your discussion points. Pretty neat trick.

We were discussing cleaning faders with spray.

Now suddenly you are discussing the COST of having someone else cleaning faders. Since I do my mixer maintenance myself, there is no cost..but nice try. And the fader pots do not need to be removed from the PCB to be cleaned. I would have thought you would have known that.

And since I didn't expect to be challenged on the use of spray cleaners, there was no way I could have been more thorough with my recommendations. The simple answer is that spray cleaners can work. As I said.

I think your protestations are a little overblown and I cannot imagine why. It sounds like you have all the answers and very little patience with those who may use different methods. Fine... Enjoy.

Archived