newbie production question

• Members

hi guys,

i would really like to learn how to produce but i dont think im capable of doing it as i find it very hard to understand and i always get lost and confused as to where to start. i have a sonar 5 demo and a cakewalk demo and dont have a clue as to what to do with them. im taking piano lessons soon so i can get some musical knowledge so im going to get a keyboard that has a midi function but i just dont know what i need to make a track. i also have the full version of ableton 6,i have tried to mix in it but i cant seem to get the warp markers lined up. used to have reason 3 and again i only knew the basics of it. would love to be able to know how to get my own sounds into one programme and arrange it into a track but dont know where to start.

is it a keyboard and one programme that i would need to start or maybe a multi track recorder(again im not too sure what these do) i hope someone can help,im asking a lot of questions but really wanna learn.

thanks guys

• Members

This isn't quite the right forum, but I'll quickly say that you don't seem to be hurting for tools. That is, your software sequencers are just fine to start, and there are plenty of free softsynths out there for getting your own sounds.

What I really think that you need to do is to find someone in your area that actually does what you want to do, and spend as much time watching and learning as possible. What you're wanting to do requires knowledge of music and recording, and there's no magic box for that.

• Members

it seemed like the right forum,i seen the production thread and i thought i would ask for help. theres no-one in my area that could teach me. the closest thing i can get to tuition is the piano lessons. what else should i do if this isnt the right place?

• Members

it seemed like the right forum,i seen the production thread and i thought i would ask for help. theres no-one in my area that could teach me. the closest thing i can get to tuition is the piano lessons. what else should i do if this isnt the right place?

there are different interpetations of "production" this area is for live productions, like concerts, and stuff like that. You may also want to visit the recording forum.

Haveing said that - we would love to help you out!

I am a little bit unsure about what you really want to do though. Do yoiu have your own songs that you want to record? do you want to be the recording guy? you you want to compose songs?

the reason I ask this is just cause I don't want you to get to over welmed. EAch one of these tasks can take a lot of effort to make them work, and so I guess my question is - what do you ahve now (in tems of songs that are writen / insterments you can play ect...) and what do you want in the end?

Kev.

• Members

I think what Danny is saying is that your question is more geared towards recording and that sort of thing. This is primarily a live sound forum, and the expertise of the people here is more in the vein of concert sound reinforcement and giging. There are a couple of good recording forums on the site though. Check out Andertons board on the front page.

• Members

there are different interpetations of "production" this area is for live productions, like concerts, and stuff like that. You may also want to visit the recording forum.

Haveing said that - we would love to help you out!

I am a little bit unsure about what you really want to do though. Do yoiu have your own songs that you want to record? do you want to be the recording guy? you you want to compose songs?

the reason I ask this is just cause I don't want you to get to over welmed. EAch one of these tasks can take a lot of effort to make them work, and so I guess my question is - what do you ahve now (in tems of songs that are writen / insterments you can play ect...) and what do you want in the end?

Kev.

i would like to learn how to produce dance music on my pc,its a decent spec. i like trance but just to be able to know how to make any music would be great. i have a couple of programmes cakewalk and sonar and dont have a clue where to start on them. im taking up piano lessons soon to get a better understanding of music as i say and will get a keyboard with midi capability.

its just im worried when i get it i simply just wont know what to do. basically i want to learn how to create my own sounds and arrange them in a programme to make a track,easier said than done indeed

thanks for the replies

Archived