newbie live sound advice

• Members

im a studio cat, but i just got a gig as the sound man for a local act. so far im learning by trial and error, but does anyone have any advice, or mistakes that you made when you were starting out?

my last mistake was unplugging a wall wart from a power strip that was unrelated to any sound equipment, but the p.a. speakers were plugged in to the same strip and it caused the speakers to pop like you wouldnt believe...whoops. i still dont understand why that happened though...

• Members

my last mistake was unplugging a wall wart from a power strip that was unrelated to any sound equipment, but the p.a. speakers were plugged in to the same strip and it caused the speakers to pop like you wouldnt believe...whoops. i still dont understand why that happened though...

So you wouldn't say that the PA speakers are related to any sound equipment?:D Just giving you a hard time.

When you say you're a studio cat, is that as an engineer, producer, or talent? If you've done some studio engineering in the past I guess I'd say that in the live sound field there's a LOT more compromise needed to get the job done (unless you're working in the top .001% of the field where budgets don't matter much). The biggest compromise is probably acoustics (reflected sound is often much more than half of what we hear). Live sound can be a lot of fun or a lot of anxiety depending on how you approach it.

Have Fun.

• Members

hehe yeah, the p.a. speakers are definetely sound equipment. but the thing that i had plugged in to the power strip was the power source for a wireless mic receiver. we then discovered the singer left the mics batteries to the mic at home, so back out it came, but at the time of the pop the power source was not connected to the receiver, or anything else. just the plug end in the strip and nothing but air on the other side, and BOOM all eyes on me. fortunately for me, i still have the gig. must have been something else that was screwy, just making sure i didnt sleep through Power Strips and Live Audio 101.

so far i've only been engineering recordings. ever since i saw Snoop Dogg chew out his sound crew when he was getting feedback (maybe had something to do with his diamond studded mic?!?), I figured that was a position I wouldn't want to be in. But here I am I guess. If i run in to any more humorous blunders, i'll let you guys know.

Archived