I Can Afford The Peavey SP5's.....

• Members

The SP5's will sound good but if you want to run bass and kick you will need a sub. The first pair of speakers I bought were SP5's and they filled the need very well, for the price you can't go wrong. If you can afford it though go for the SP2's.

• Members

I'm on a low budget, as you already know, and I can get what I think is a good deal on the Peavey SP5's from GC....

Should I??

Thanks Guys1 And thank for all your help in the past
:thu:

I'll bet a powered SP5.5s will outperform a passive SP2. Unlike the regular SP5, the SP5.5 features a BW woofer with 4'' voice coil (instead of a scorpion woofer). They also feature 1000 watts of onboard peak power and all of the pre-equalization and complex limiting features that make the most of the speaker's capability - giving it superb dynamics and excellent driver protection. I'd say go for it Vilo, and please give us a review....:D You know I would love to be in your shoes! :thu: Al

• Members

I'll bet a powered SP5.5s will outperform a passive SP2. Unlike the regular SP5, the SP5.5 features a BW woofer with 4'' voice coil (instead of a scorpion woofer). They also feature 1000 watts of onboard peak power and all of the pre-equalization and complex limiting features that make the most of the speaker's capability - giving it superb dynamics and excellent driver protection. I'd say go for it Vilo, and please give us a review....
:D
You know I would love to be in your shoes!
Al

Well, it'll be a month or so before I can get them, I'll love to go for the SP5.5's but I'm guessing they are havier/ and I know they are more expensive, and I'm not getting any younger :D.

They offer me the PR15 plastic one, but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Thanks guys!

• Members

Well, it'll be a month or so before I can get them, I'll love to go for the SP5.5's but I'm guessing they are havier/ and I know they are more expensive, and I'm not getting any younger

Thanks guys!

The PR 15's are light weight.. That's about all I can suggest about them. I have a pair of older Peavey SG-5's and run my entire five piece show band through them, drums, bass, keyboards, five vocals, guitar, etc. and they just work perfectly. I recently had a pair of PR15's to use for comparison and did not care much for the speakers.

The PR speakers are quite "honky" compared to the full sound of the SG-5's (mine have Scorpions) and require much more EQ and won't handle anywhere near the power.. I used them in a permanent install and they work just fine for general PA use in a small room...but I would not recommend them for a band running full sound.

• Members

I'd pass on the PR15's. I've tried them in a few stores and ran a few events where they were supplied or owned by the event organizer and in every case I was very disapointed. Not even close to the quality of my BR15's, let alone an SP2.

• Members

ViLo,

I've got the SP5's for use in a full band situation, and they do just fine. We've got kick (high-end), vocals, keys, and a little lead and bass guitar in them and they do a great job letting everyone hear everyone else.

You definitely want a sub of some kind if you want to push any low end (the kick and bass go to the sub in my setup), but if you just need to get vocals over a screaming rock band, they do a great job.

Mike

• Members

Well, it'll be a month or so before I can get them, I'll love to go for the SP5.5's but I'm guessing they are havier/ and I know they are more expensive, and I'm not getting any younger

Thanks guys!

Sorry, I misread your initial post. SP5 and not SP5.5! The SP5 is still a very good sounding box. I think I was kinda hoping someone would have a chance to try out the new SP5.5s. They look awesome. The SP5 is still a better choice than the PR cabinets. Light weight is great but from what I've read they have had some reliability issues - mostly with the horns but I've also read about many blown woofers. I'd say go for the better quality SP5 that has beefier components and has a long history of reliable performance. I've heard a few SP5s in the last year and they have impressed me. Al

• Members

HOw will the SP5's compare to the MAckie C300?

Thanks

I've never heard them side by side... but from the specs it appears a Peavey SP-5 would kill a Mackie C300z... 133dB Max SPL vs. 126dB Max SPL... that's more than twice the output, rite?

• Members

I've never heard them side by side... but from the specs it appears a Peavey SP-5 would kill a Mackie C300z... 133dB Max SPL vs. 126dB Max SPL... that's more than twice the output, rite?

Not sure where you got the max SPL figure on the SP5, but if you calculate 800 watts (program) at 99 DB efficiency, you're at approx. 128 DB for the SP5 which is indeed more than the C300 can produce but will not actually blow it away or be twice as loud. It should be noticeably louder if fed the program power however. It should be noted the SP5 has a 15'' woofer while the C300 has a 12''. The C300 does have a 1.75'' HF driver and 12'' woofer with 3'' voice coil. Both speakers are good performers with the Peavey having more output capability because of higher power handling. Al

• Members

Thanks,

12"spkrs. on the MAckies[that's what I have rigth now] vs. a 15" on the SP5's...

• Members

Not sure where you got the max SPL figure on the SP5, but if you calculate 800 watts (program) at 99 DB efficiency, you're at approx. 128 DB for the SP5 which is indeed more than the C300 can produce but will not actually blow it away or be twice as loud.

O I'm sorry... I meant 131 dB peak output on the SP-5... not 133dB... and that spec is easily calculatable (with 1600 watts peak power - which is how Mackie calculates their specs, so it is only fair to use the same power ratings) and that spec is posted on their website... the 133dB number seemed a little high and it was becuz i accidentally copied it wrong... my appolegies... anyway, 131dB is still approx. double the output of the C300z... if you use the program power ratings of the speakers, the Mackie comes in at 123dB and the Peavey still wins with a whopping 128dB! :thu:

• Members

the Mackie comes in at 123dB and the Peavey still wins with a whopping 128dB!

That seems fair. I really wouldn't recommend anyone put 1600 watts into a 15'' Scorpion loaded speaker......those peak ratings :rolleyes: ..... Yes the SP5 will have more output but will not be two times louder. It takes about 10X more applied power (given equal sensitivity for 2 speakers)for one speaker to seem twice as loud as another. The SP5 will certainly outperform the 300 though. :thu: Al

• Members

Yes the SP5 will have more output but will not be two times louder. It takes about 10DBs more output for something to seem twice as loud. It will certainly outperform the 300 though.
Al

ooooo... I always thought the output was doubled with a 6dB SPL increase... i must be mistaken... sorry for the mistaken info...

• Members

I just found online the quote: "approximately 6 dB increase for every factor 2"... I am now confused... when does the output double... +6 dB? +10 dB? More? Less? I always thought that a +6dB gain was = to 4x the power? 4x the power = double the output (or so I have been told)... Could someone correct me... :confused:

• Members

I just found online the quote: "approximately 6 dB increase for every factor 2"... I am now confused... when does the output double... +6 dB? +10 dB? More? Less? I always thought that a +6dB gain was = to 4x the power? 4x the power = double the output (or so I have been told)... Could someone correct me...
:confused:

A doubling of applied power gives a 3DB increase resulting in a 20-30% increase in perceived loudness (depending on who you ask). You actually have to apply ten times more power to a given enclosure to double it's apparent output IIRC. :eek:

• Members

Let's take a pair of SP2s for example. If you applied 100 watts of power to one, you would have to apply approx. 1000 watts to the other one for it to sound twice as loud as the other.

100 watts into an efficient cabinet is actually really loud! I tried it the other day and was quite amazed! Al

• Members

Let's take a pair of SP2s for example. If you applied 100 watts of power to one, you would have to apply approx. 1000 watts to the other one for it to sound twice as loud as the other. Al

Al,I bet those are your new speakers you are hanging with.Lookin' Good:thu:

• Members

Al,I bet those are your new speakers you are hanging with.Lookin' Good:thu:

Yep. Those are my new Yorkville YX15Ps on top of my LS700P powered sub. Because the speakers are black (dark) and the backround is so bright, the camera has trouble making them look as good as they do when they are right in front of you. They are really great looking cabs. They look just like the Elite line cabinets actually...they are so new and shiny...I almost don't want to take them out! :D

• Members

Similarly, a factor of 2 in amplitude gain corresponds to a 6 dB boost:

img1899.png

and

img1900.png

Doesn't this show a doubling of output since it is a factor of 2 increase? :confused:

(Al, I just want to let you know that I am not doubting you here, just trying to get the facts straight in my head for reference... I value your input very much!)

• Members

(Al, I just want to let you know that I am not doubting you here, just trying to get the facts straight in my head for reference... I value your input very much!)

I am certainly not an expert on the matter or in math in general. ;)

Here is some interesting reading from Yorkville's audio guide :

SOUND PRESSURE (spl)

Sound pressure is measured in decibels (dB) and represents the real end product of everything covered thus far. In basic terms, sound-pressure level or SPL is loudness. Here are some SPL facts:

SPL dissipates -6dB each time you double your distance from the source.

SPL varies by +3dB if you double the applied power to a given enclosure.

SPL varies by +10dB if you increase applied power by a factor of ten to a given enclosure.

SPL varies by +3dB if you double the number of similar, close-coupled, in-phase, equally-powered enclosures. ("Close-coupled" means close together, either side-by-side or stacked vertically). The following is a chart of sound pressure levels as you double the number of similar, close-coupled, in-phase enclosures and the total applied power. Note; efficiency is assumed to be 100dB at 1 watt at 1 meter.

The average ear interprets a 3dB SPL variation as roughly a +30% or - 20% variation in perceived loudness.

The average ear interprets a 10dB SPL variation as roughly a +100% or - 50% variation in perceived loudness.

MULTIPLE ENCLOSURES

SPL varies by +3dB if you double the number of similar, close-coupled, in-phase, equally-powered enclosures. ("Close-coupled" means close together, either side-by-side or stacked vertically). The following is a chart of sound pressure levels as you double the number of similar, close-coupled, in-phase enclosures and the total applied power. Note; efficiency is assumed to be 100dB at 1 watt at 1 meter.

NO. OF ENCLOSURES @ TOTAL APPLIED POWER (WATTS) = RESULTING SPL @ 1METER (theoretically)

1 @ 1w = 100dB, 2 @ 2w = 103dB, 4 @ 4w = 106dB, 8 @ 8w = 109dB, 16 @ 16w = 112dB

1 @ 10w = 110dB, 2 @ 20w = 113dB, 4 @ 40w = 116dB, 8 @ 80w = 119dB, 16 @ 160w = 122dB

1 @ 100w = 120dB, 2 @ 200w = 123dB, 4 @ 400w = 126dB, 8 @ 800w = 129B, 16 @ 1600w = 132dB

{ TIP - It is interesting to note that the difference in sound pressure between one enclosure with 100 watts applied and sixteen enclosures with a total of 1600 watts applied is only 12db! In other words, the average ear would hear slightlymore than a 100% increase in percieved loudness if the two systems were compared in a blindfold listening test at a distance of one meter.

However, the difference in SPL at a greater distance would be more noticeable. This is because the acoustic output of the sixteen, close-coupled enclosures would combine over distance to reinforce the SPL so that the difference between one enclosure and sixteen would be greater than 12dB at a distance from the source. This reinforcement effect helps to keep the PA audible.

Archived