the Bose stick system

• Members

Has anyone heard these things? Some ppl around hear are giving these things some good reviews.This one person told me they sound as good as the new JBL line aray system ,I find that way to hard to belive.

• Members

Has anyone heard these things? Some ppl around hear are giving these things some good reviews.This one person told me they sound as good as the new JBL line aray system ,I find that way to hard to belive.

I've played through one several times and would find that very hard to belive.

The Bose Stick is ok! Not great, just ok.

• Moderators

As well you should!

Apples and oranges, they're not even designed for the same function.

:wave:

Terry D.

• Members

so what was the venue? and what did you play thru it?

I play solo Chapman Stick for a number of events.

I've used the Bose on some restaurant gigs, a mall, outside and in a long narrow bar.

The system had two subs and once I even got to use two systems at the same time.

I thought that the bass was pretty weak. Maybe more subs?

The low strings on the Chapman Stick made the Bose crap out if hit a little hard.

It seemed a bit harsh to me on the highs. I just can't move the air that a regular PA can.

That being said, its designed to just be a "personal monitor".

• Members

Two bose systems can cause excessive phase cancellation is you're using the same signal through both "sticks." Their forums offer a lot of information about application. Because of their design they're very far from conventional, their usage is too.

My experience is "great idea, not for everyone."

Great for solo acoustic acts, low volume bands (like jazz, etc...) especially in larger venues, where they want a uniform low volume throughout a large room.

Not for loud rock/rap/country/metal/etc... also, really removes the sound guy... so not for sound guys.

• Members

Two bose systems can cause excessive phase cancellation is you're using the same signal through both "sticks." Their forums offer a lot of information about application. Because of their design they're very far from conventional, their usage is too.

The Chapman Stick is stereo! Left hand through one Bose right hand through the other.

• Members

Keep in mind they are designed for small, low volume groups or soloists in small venues. Asking a rock band, large group, or large venue to use the system is overtasking. You'll have probems with not enough volume, feedback, and problems with people not being able to hear themselves in the "monitor" mix. The example of a small jazz club above is a good one. Anything beyond that requires something else.

• Members

Acoustic guitar + vocals, both wireless. Live, no backup or other cheating. The reason I love the BOSE PAS for my application is:

- I plug and play. The setup is done in minutes.

- It sounds great. Add subs if you need more bass, as 1 sub is a bit weak. For me it is enough in medium venues.

- Virtually no tweaking. I hardly touch any knobs from gig to gig. EQ is flat. It might also have somehitng to do with great mic (dpa4088), guitar (Variax AC700) and wireless (Sabine SWM7000)

- It's easy to carry around, fits in the trunk of a small car.

• Members

How much volume can you actually get out of it?

I play in an acoustic group, two guitars, two vocals and some percussion.

Whilst the music is acoustic, we need the volume at a decent, dancing in a bar/club level.

Everyone on the Bose forum says it's fine for the application, but having tried one in a music store I have my doubts. Guess I'm looking for someone with experience gigging it to give their opinion.

Obviously I'd be looking at 2 sticks, and probably 3 bass boxes between the 2.

• Members

I've never used it in a gig context, but have messed around with one extensively in Guitar Center's drum room (they've got them scattered all over the place it seems). In my opinion, they'd be usable for an acoustic band at dance level ONLY if you don't need the floor-shaking bass that comes with having a live band and DJing. Many bands play small bars with speakers on a stick and no subs, and this will be a huge step beyond that... but there's not going to be a "thump" that people on the dance floor feel. If you're looking for that, I believe the PAS has outputs to go to a poweramp and subs... it decreases the portability quite a bit because now you're hauling subs and an amp or a rack, so at that point you've negated one of the key benefits of the Bose system.

Remember that each player is supposed to have their own "stick"... two guitars + two vocals + percussion = 5 sticks for optimal performance. Unless the guitarists are also the vocalists, that is!

• Members

Apples and oranges, they're not even designed for the same function.

:wave:

Terry D.

Ya not the same thing at all. I heard one of these systems being used for a bluegrass band (they had some pretty nice mics sm81s, Blue and 414s) and I must say that they sounded very nice and natural (they were onstage with them and they were using them as their monitors as well) but........

When the room filled up (about 150 people) we had to patch in our installed JBL house system to finish filling the room with sound.

I'd agree that if used in a very intimate environment at low levels (a single or duo acoustic act) they would be the hot ticket. It would sound almost like no speakers at all, just the acoustic sound only louder.

If I'm correct they're pretty expensive. For my money I'd try to buy something a little more versital (You never know what you'll be doing two years from now).

• Members

Ya not the same thing at all. I heard one of these systems being used for a bluegrass band (they had some pretty nice mics sm81s, Blue and 414s) and I must say that they sounded very nice and natural (they were onstage with them and they were using them as their monitors as well) but........

When the room filled up (about 150 people) we had to patch in our installed JBL house system to finish filling the room with sound.

I'd agree that if used in a very intimate environment at low levels (a single or duo acoustic act) they would be the hot ticket. It would sound almost like no speakers at all, just the acoustic sound only louder.

If I'm correct they're pretty expensive. For my money I'd try to buy something a little more versital (You never know what you'll be doing two years from now).

Ya I kinda suspected this,better stuff out there for the money,still havent heard one yet,but I cant see these sticks doing what GOOD box with a 12 or 15 and a horn will do either

• Members

I've been using one for almost a couple years now, and am basically pleased.

It IS very different, in what it is, and how a player's approach should be in using it. It has it's quirks, but also has great benefits.

I love it in larger venues, where we need to fill the room with sound, but not overcome people's ability to talk to each other. In small, or should I say, when the area for us is very small, it's more challenging, as if you are too on top of it, feedback can become an issue. They work best when you have a little breathing room. I've used it in larger, higher volume situations too, and it can crank. However, when I tried to use a single one, when my keyboard player & guitar players used two amps each, & the bass & drums were kickin, the lead vocals just couldn't compete. I'm still not sure if it was a setting issue, because the minimal soundcheck was done without the rest of the group anywhere near the volume they came out blasting with, on the dance set.

I would say that for a band that is mainly high-volume, most players need to use them, or be very amenable to paying closer attention to balance.

I definitely have found it a great way to avoid the "too loud in the front, in order to hit the back" dilemma I've faced in the past. Being too lazy to want to set up extra speakers midway out into the crowd, & not wanting to blast those in the front (or worse, have to lower the volume cause they complained, thus knowing those further back can forgettaboutit), this is a great solution.

In most of the outdoor, concert/festival type gigs, I've just gone along with whatever sound system is used, and let their soundman get the sound as best they can. I use my own submix for all my own instruments & vocal mic anyway, so I needn't worry about levels & EQ. I suppose if I were to do those kinds of gigs more regularly, I'd take along the Bose for my own sound & personal monitor, let the house system just mic it from the stage.

Which brings me to the #1 irritatingly frustrating feature of this system. For some inexplicable reason, they decided not to have any summed outs.

This means you can't make a simple, direct recording of a night's music, (w/o having to place a mic in front of it, thus requiring insuring the level's just right, which is one more thing to be worrying about & messing with), nor can you give a feed to run the sound to another room, upstairs, or outside, when playing a club or restaurant. This is a royal pain in the butt, and why Bose did this I do not know. They say it's because you wouldn't be getting the "real sound" that their unique speakers provide, but then you don't get that when taking a summed out from ANY mixer anyway!

Also I long ago returned the Bose bass module, buying instead a small one for little places (altho, most of the time don't even need it), and a larger, powered sub (which unlike the Bose can be adjusted for volume & frequency), for the price of the single Bose.

Anyone can get a 45 day trial, and I would recommend checking it out, cause like with any speaker system, it's all up to individual preference, no matter what ANYBODY says.....;)

Archived