Upholstered VS Plastic Cabs

• Members

Just comparing my old upholsterd PV's against our singers JBL EONs and with a couple swipes of the vacuum, mine would look like the day I brought them home while the EONs are a complete mess. I don't suppose there's anyway to recondition the plastic cabs is there?

• Members

IMO cloth cases protect only looks, they offer very little in the way of reducing shock (the real damage). Although looks go a long way towards making people think your stuff is in pristine condition. Second on the plastic spray paint, you may want to try a heavy sandpaper to reduce the displaced plastic and then a really fine sandpaper to smooth it down, although this may cause bad discoloration. you could try buffing it as well.

• Members

IMO cloth cases protect only looks, they offer very little in the way of reducing shock (the real damage). Although looks go a long way towards making people think your stuff is in pristine condition. Second on the plastic spray paint, you may want to try a heavy sandpaper to reduce the displaced plastic and then a really fine sandpaper to smooth it down, although this may cause bad discoloration. you could try buffing it as well.

I think it's called "Black Gold" and it's sold in auto parts stores. It's sort of a low-gloss Armor-All; seems to restore the deep black color and luster. I've used it with pretty good results to restore some dull, faded cabinets. Be warned that a lot of these kinds of products contain silicone. If you ever plan to paint the box, all traces of silicone need to be removed first.

• Members

I think it's called "Black Gold" and it's sold in auto parts stores. It's sort of a low-gloss Armor-All; seems to restore the deep black color and luster. I've used it with pretty good results to restore some dull, faded cabinets. Be warned that a lot of these kinds of products contain silicone. If you ever plan to paint the box, all traces of silicone need to be removed first.

Mother's "Back to Black" maybe? I use that all the time on my car.. Works great for getting marks off the trim of my car.

• Members

The zippers on the original EON cases didn't last very long. We've been toting them around naked for a couple seasons now. Aside from the restoration question, the other point I was trying to make was that you just don't see upholstered cabinets very much these days but it still seems like a good yet perhaps not modern enough idea.

• Members

The zippers on the original EON cases didn't last very long. We've been toting them around naked for a couple seasons now. Aside from the restoration question, the other point I was trying to make was that you just don't see upholstered cabinets very much these days but it still seems like a good yet perhaps not modern enough idea.

Right - the zippers on my EON bags partially went out on me after about 3.5 yrs., then finally broke completely on one bag a few mos. later - and the other bag had holes in the bottom of it, so I got the new bags.

The new EON bags have nicely placed holes where the actual EON spkr. handles can protrude - they're much easier to carry that way then with the long bag handles themselves, though they are occasionally handy as well.

Archived