Have Crown XLS 602 Amplifier. Looking for Cabs under $400.

• Members

I got a Crown XLS 602 Power Amp cheap.

I'm thinking about getting a pair of:

JBL JRX115 15' 2-Way Speaker Cabinets

or

Yamaha S115V Club Series V Speakers.

or

other?

This is for a practice PA. Might also use for small shows.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Better gear of course could always be dreamed about, but my budget is limited to this price range.

• Members

Both cabinets have very similar specs and should provide comparable output. The Yamaha Club 15s are a good all around cab with good components and are very popular as general purpose PA cabs. They sound decent and can get loud. I haven't heard the JRX115s but I believe most people prefer the sound of the Clubs. I've used the Yamahas a couple of times and thought they sounded OK - I liked their sound better at higher volumes but I had trouble getting the horn/mid-high frequencies to sound like I wanted. They do require some EQing to sound their best and are somewhat heavy - probably not unlike the JBLs. Al

• Members

Thanks, guys. I went with the Yamaha tops. Got 'em on eBay for $500/pair w/free shipping.

I'm hoping to build an expandable system. We had been using an old Fender powered mixer w/cabs.

To start we'll be using the PA for rehearsals with mostly vocals as inputs. 3 vocalists in a 4-piece PowerPop band ( 2 guitars, bass, drums ). Our practice/small club gear is a Marshall JCM 800 & 900 combos, Vox AC30CC1, Peavey Pro, and Yamaha drums. At bigger shows we'll play Orange AD30TCs, Genz Benz, & DWs. We'll mostly play shows with a provided PA, but we do see the need to provide sound once in a while, and I guess we might add to our components as need arises.

This is what I now have to start with:

Mackie 1402-VLZ PRO Compact Mixer

Crown XLS 602D Power Amplifier

2 Yamaha S115V Club Series V Speakers

Monster Power PowerCenter PRO 900

I suppose we might add a couple of subs, monitors, additional amp down the road. Any other suggestions for down the line purchases, or items to keep our eyes open for? Driveracks, crossovers, etc.?

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

• Members

Thanks, guys. I went with the Yamaha tops. Got 'em on eBay for $500/pair w/free shipping.

I'm hoping to build an expandable system. We had been using an old Fender powered mixer w/cabs.

To start we'll be using the PA for rehearsals with mostly vocals as inputs. 3 vocalists in a 4-piece PowerPop band ( 2 guitars, bass, drums ). Our practice/small club gear is a Marshall JCM 800 & 900 combos, Vox AC30CC1, Peavey Pro, and Yamaha drums. At bigger shows we'll play Orange AD30TCs, Genz Benz, & DWs. We'll mostly play shows with a provided PA, but we do see the need to provide sound once in a while, and I guess we might add to our components as need arises.

This is what I now have to start with:

Mackie 1402-VLZ PRO Compact Mixer

Crown XLS 602D Power Amplifier

2 Yamaha S115V Club Series V Speakers

Monster Power PowerCenter PRO 900

I suppose we might add a couple of subs, monitors, additional amp down the road. Any other suggestions for down the line purchases, or items to keep our eyes open for? Driveracks, crossovers, etc.?

Thanks. I appreciate the help.

I see no EQ. You definitely need that for FOH and any monitor system.

• Members

My personal thoughts are that for those just breaking into doing the sound thing, the basic separate components are easier to use and are also good tools for learning. Once you have a good feel for what each one can do and how to manipulate it for best results, then the Driverack can be a good choice. When used with knowledge, the Driverack is a great tool. When used poorly, it can be a nightmare.

• Members

My personal thoughts are that for those just breaking into doing the sound thing, the basic separate components are easier to use and are also good tools for learning. Once you have a good feel for what each one can do and how to manipulate it for best results, then the Driverack can be a good choice. When used with knowledge, the Driverack is a great tool. When used poorly, it can be a nightmare.

• Members

Any EQ suggestions. Should I get an all in one like the dbx Driverack, or get a seperate EQ, crossover, etc.?

A Driverack would be overkill, especially since it doesn't have your speaker settings in it (nor readily available), you don't have subs, and it's a lot to learn right out of the gate for a first PA. Besides, the DRPA has it's graphic EQ linked between the two channels, it CANNOT be used well as two separate signal paths, like mono main/single monitor or dual monitors.

All you really need is nice EQ like a dbx 231 and then add a crossover like the dbx223XL later. Keep it simple and easy to use so you can spend more time & mental effort on performing ;>)

Do you have a soundman or is this strictly for running sound from the stage for now? ANOTHER reason NOT to use a digital processor that makes you thumb through menus for feedback control. I have a digital EQ (Behringer, but not bad) that I used to have on the 2 monitor mixes. I yanked that and put a dbx231 in its place. I do use a DRPA for FOH duties but it has several limitations I have to work within. AFTER you get the hang of your "simpler" PA, then consider a better DSP than the DRPA.

Speaking of which, a Peavey dual 31 band EQ with the FLS is great when starting out. Super dependable and the FLS lights up over the strongest signal, assumed to be feedback. MUCH better than an Automatic feedback suppressor, you can decide whether it's intentional, like a guitar, or not. Many of the feedback detector/destroyers can really take over, expanding and adding significant cuts and really crap up a system's sound if you don't have strict controls over them. Not a great place to start learning PA gear, either.

Once you gets subs with a power amp to match and a crossover, time to consider full micing of the band. Not going to list mics right now but I strongly suggest an appropriate sized (channels & length) subsnake for the drums with maybe a couple extra channels for other close performers to use. I'm up to FOUR subsnakes and I pick the channels & lengths needed and usually use one on each side of the drums, often with the guitar amps using some channels on one side and keys using a couple on the other side. Subsnakes keep the stage looking nice and saves on rolling up a lot of mic cables.

Boomerweps

• Members

Thanks guys. Those are some of the answers I was looking for. I'll look into the dbx231, and Peavey first as you mentioned. I'll add a crossover as we start to add more to the system.

I had a soundman and gear that we used with my old band ( the gear was dispersed to it's different owners ), but I have a new band now and we're just starting out. I also like learning to do this on my own so I can better communicate with the different soundmen we'll be working with.

Thanks again. This advice is appreciated.

Archived