What brand is best for Snakes?

• Members

What is the best brand that will last long, thats not cheap material, etc?

My recommendation is for the Whirlwind Medusa product:

http://www.whirlwindusa.com/snake02.html

The Ramtech folks are also a first cabin outfit:

http://www.ramtech.net/

Radial is another outstanding snake mfg:

http://www.radialeng.com/rcs/index.htm

There's a few other's that I'd consider to be among "the best", along with the above listed mfgs... without getting into the botique league. So... are you looking for the best pro snake cabling products (thousands of dollars), or the arguably best botique snake cabling products(10's to hundreds of thousands of dollars)?

• Members

Do you really want the "the best" or are you looking for solid performance at a good price point? IMO, at the level of gear you own, unless you're starting an all around upgrade, the snake shouldn't be the most expensive thing in the truck. A $500 snake hooked to a $300 mixer seems kinda silly to me.

Anyway - another vote for EWI. It's not "the best", but they are a great value and likely all the quality you'll need.

• Members

Do you really want the "the best" or are you looking for solid performance at a good price point? IMO, at the level of gear you own, unless you're starting an all around upgrade, the snake shouldn't be the most expensive thing in the truck. A $500 snake hooked to a $300 mixer seems kinda silly to me.

Anyway - another vote for EWI. It's not "the best", but they are a great value and likely all the quality you'll need.

+ 1 ...I own and EWI reel snake (24 X 150') a very good value!

• Members

IMO I hate proco snakes, especially the cheap ones with the plastic strain relief. I think the group im in is about to go destroy thier second in 6 years.

On the other hand I just replaced the fanout and connectors on two whirwind medusa 8&3 stamped with the serial numbers 301 and 302. The cable has been chugging along for a while (15 years+ i think) without any apparent issues. If I had the money and was using my snake 300 times a year I would probablly go with one of these.

For the casual user, everything I buy from audiopile/ewi has been gold. from what I hear about thier snakes I will buy one the instant our proco pos goes down the tube, probablly well before that happens actually.

• Members

"you get what you pay for"

My Proco snake is not the cheap one.

Well that was just an example, I've dealt with 2 or 3 of the more expensive models and they just don't seem to be as quality as all the whirlwind ones ive worked with.

• Members

ProCo, Whirlwind, Rapco, Horizon all make good quality snakes that will hold up long term. Snakes and cables are something you can use for whatever size system it is so get the good ones 1st. That said I buy most snakes from Audiopile because I feel the quality is very close to the mid and lower lines from ProCo etc. The value is great on these and the cables themselves are intuative. I do buy XLR parts, raw cables and other things as well and all have held up very well (and been treated well). Only problem I've had is the 24 hole mic case: 2 of the feet have punched thru the bottom.

oh well...

p

• Members

He (she?) said "the best". I take that to mean "the best". I am aware of snakes that approach $50K in price that are arguably "the best". I'm curious though what "the best" is? I doubt I could build the world's best snake for anything less than $100K, and I can see how it could cost $300K - $400K to build undeniably "the best" snake (under 128 channels).

Obviously, when someone wants "the best", price vs. performance isn't an issue... they just want "the best".

First place is first place. Second place is worth... what? 10%? I don't remember who came in second place for The Tour deFrance last year... does anybody else? I'd suspect the second place finisher's endorsement offers didn't come close to being 10% of the first place finisher's endorsement offers.

So who was the second man to walk on the moon?

I do believe I have seen (and held) the best cribbage board in the world. The asking price at the time was somewhere around $2.3M.

• Members

Sometimes I say "the best". But when I think of "the best" snakes, I think of EWI. They are great quality, more than enough for my needs, and a great price. FOR ME, that makes them "the best".
:)

Thanks!

But it is fun to try and visualize "the best" (without qualifications). I've been thinking about it all day.:D

• Members

That would be "Buzz" Aldrin, IIRC.

IIRC, I believe you are probably correct... now that you mention it.

But: I KNOW Neil Armstrong was the first.:)

There's something about being: The First, or The Best. Even if it's for an instant... 'cause they can never take that away from you. It's something to strive for IMO.

• Members

Well sure, I understand what best means and that was the question asked. I also understand the dude has a Behringer mixer and Yammie Club speakers. I was looking for more qualification what he meant. To me it seemed obvious he ain't lookin' for "the best".

Of course 20 posts in and no input from the thread starter, I suppose we are now free to hijack the thread.

So Mark, how did you happen upon the best cribbage board? Any pics?

• Members

I suppose we are now free to hijack the thread.

So Mark, how did you happen upon the best cribbage board? Any pics?

I believe I have a picture or two of it tucked away somewhere.

John Rush, an artist I met in Ellmar, AK made it. AIR (As I Recall): The cribbage board was made out of... I think it was a Mastodon tusk... that he found washed up on the beach near possibly Barrow, AK. Anyway, this ivory tusk was carbon dated at somewhere around 10K years old... and in perfect condition. This cribbage board/ivory tusk was covered in scrimshaw... I think John called the type of scrimshaw: "Stipple", or possibly "dipple"... anyway... it had the portraits of 12 Indian chiefs (Chief Joseph, Crazy Horse, etc...)... all done in this "Stipple" scrimshaw. The "stipple" is basically similar to tattoo work, only it's done by drilling extremely small holes and then filling the holes with ink. Anyway, AIR, John said he had worked for something like 3 years solid... 60 - 100 hrs. per week on this piece. It was one of 5 masterpieces he had laid out as his life work. John didn't know if his eyes, health, and hands were gonna hold out to complete all 5 pieces. The cribbage board was his third piece.

Archived