Live sound advice

• Members

I need live sound help!

I am using some random equiptment I've come across for free to run my pa and monitor to play live shows. It sounds decent but I'm not sure if I'm setting it up correctly for the best sound from this gear or if I need to add something to it.

I am using a Peavey 1002-8 RQ 8-channel mixer. I run my mics, guitar and bass amps through the mixer. I send mics and amps through the monitor output on the mixer so my drummer can hear what's going on. I mute the amps on the main send, and only send the vocals to an old Peavey amp head (right output into the high gain input, left output into the low gain input), which my speakers are connected to.

I can't get the sound level high enough on the vocals without getting feedback or losing clarity. The vocals also have a ton of low end I can't seem to get rid of. My guess is that the amp head I'm using for power is the problem. I know nothing of audio equiptment, aside from what I've learned from this gear.

Do I need to buy a pa head for power?

Is the order of setup correct? (amps/mics -> mixer -> amp -> speakers)

Help me please!!!!!!!!!

-bob

• CMS Author

The Peavey amp head you mention sounds like a guitar or bass amp head, and it probably has some preamp EQ applied that's causing the bass-heavy mix. A 2-channel rackmount power amp would not add EQ or tone shaping at all.

You should get a 31-band graphic EQ (dbx, Peavey and DOD make decent models at reasonable prices) to ring-out the system to reduce feedback, and a power amp appropriate for the speakers. If you can give details on the speakers we might be able to recommend an appropriate amp.

Archived