15vdc vs 48vdc phantom power.

• Members

Hi, I'm not sure I would ever used condenser mics with a powered mixer, but I'm now looking into the yamaha EMX512SC and I have found out it supplies phantom power at 15 vdc. Could anyone explain if this could be a potential problem powering certain mics. or is it really an non-issue. It just seems strange to me they would choose that voltage considering my zoom h4 recorder gets that (phantom power) from two 9 volt batteries. Thanks for any advice in advance.

• Members

Almost all condenser microphones likely to be used live where a powered mixer is likely to be used will work just fine on 15 volts. It's primarily the externally biased condensers that need the additional voltage, though the current is no greater.

I use the 15 volt standard on virtually all of the performance based products I design and it's rarely a concern (other than the occasional desire for somebody wanting to use a very inappropriate recording type mic in a live application where the basic performance isn't even reasonable for reinforcement).

• Members

There are a few preamps like the Baggs that do need the additional VA available from the 48 volt standard. Many are fine with 15 volts.

I disagree with the reduced headroom on the mics though, the pre-polarized/biased (electret type) regulate the 48 volts down to around 6 volts to power the impedance translator FET preamp that draws micro-amps and only operates with swings below 1/2 volt. For a practical example, look at all the wireless condenser mics like the Beta 87 that operate on 9 volts or less at concert levels without any headroom problems (otherthan that of the wireless link itself).

Archived