Horn Throat opening, is this noticeable ?

• Members

I have been looking at a few new PA cabs to use with my new band, we mainly just run a vocal only PA and sometimes we will be adding my subs when we are in rooms that are big enough to mic a kick drum:D

Here is what I have been considering:

RCF 325i - http://www.rcfaudio.com/vediMacro.phtml/lang/EN/IDMacro/2253/menuAttivo/2115/m1/3/m2/7/m3/3_7_3/Speakers/ART-iSeriesART325-i/product.htm

Yorkville E152 - http://www.yorkville.com/products.asp?type=29&cat=2&id=220

Now if I remember correctly the RCF cab use a 1.4" throat opening on the horn and the Yorkville uses a 2" throat opening, would there be a noticeable sound difference? would the Yorkville outperform the RCF for vocal clarity?

And the big question, is it worth the extra weight of the cab to go with the Yorkville if it sounds significantly better?

Thanks!

• Members

In general, a 1-1/2" exit driver with a 3" diaphram & VC will allow for lower x-over frequency and better directivity in the midrange.

The possible tradeoff is a less extended HF response and a little more midrange bark without careful eq.

I would expect the Yorkville to be a "better" performing speaker but at a significant weight differential.

You need to compare both speakers for YOUR application.

• Members

I think they both will work well for my application...I am just trying to decide if the weight of the Yorkville is really worth the extra strain on my back!

Either of these cabs will be replacing a pair of Yamaha S115V cabs which have worked and performed great and we have no issues with these......I just want something better, but I also want something that is going to be a noticeable improvement over what we currently have.

Archived