Anyone may post but this one is for Al Poulin

• Members

Hey Al thanks alot for your help lately I am just 17 and very curious about pro audio. I just want to clarify something of the previous thread you posted about how ohms work in Power amps and speakers. Lets say for example i want to connect 2 4ohm speakers in a single channel of a power amp, that would make that a 2ohm load and the way to connect it would be since each speaker has two jacks for 1/4 inch and/or two jacks for Neutrik(Speakon), connecting a neutrik cable from the power amp into one jack of one of the speakers, connect another cable from that speaker into the other leaving that one jack free from that last speaker connected. Now I think thats parallel (Correct me if am wrong). If I did that to both channels of the amplifier that would be 2ohms and should work fine (of course if it is 2 ohm stable). With that all said and hopefully correct, How do you connect it in series and are there other ways of connecting speaker besides the simplistic one speaker per channel? Thanks.

• Members

Hey Al thanks alot for your help lately I am just 17 and very curious about pro audio. I just want to clarify something of the previous thread you posted about how ohms work in Power amps and speakers. Lets say for example i want to connect 2 4ohm speakers in a single channel of a power amp, that would make that a 2ohm load and the way to connect it would be since each speaker has two jacks for 1/4 inch and/or two jacks for Neutrik(Speakon), connecting a neutrik cable from the power amp into one jack of one of the speakers, connect another cable from that speaker into the other leaving that one jack free from that last speaker connected. Now I think thats parallel (Correct me if am wrong). If I did that to both channels of the amplifier that would be 2ohms and should work fine (of course if it is 2 ohm stable). With that all said and hopefully correct, How do you connect it in series and are there other ways of connecting speaker besides the simplistic one speaker per channel? Thanks.

You would have a 2 ohm load by connecting two 4ohm cabs on one channel. With you speakon from your amp to the first speaker and a jumper cable (short 1/4'' to 1/4'') to the other cabinet. I used to use a total of 4 NX350s on my Yamaha P5000 and this is how I connected them, 2 per channel. I believe this to be parallel. I have never connected speakers in series but I believe you need a special connection and there are probably reasons why you should or shouldn't do it - advantages and disadvantages. Someone who has done it would be better to explain it however. Cool! A thread with my name in it. :thu: You made my day. There are many here however who have much more experience than myself in the technical department. Agedhorse would come to mind as one of the most knowledgeable, or Dboomer or Craig V or..... so much knowledge on this forum. Al

• Members

. If I did that to both channels of the amplifier that would be 2ohms and should work fine (of course if it is 2 ohm stable). With that all said and hopefully correct, How do you connect it in series and are there other ways of connecting speaker besides the simplistic one speaker per channel? Thanks.

you cant hook up 4 ,four ohm speakers that way,if that is what you ment,you ohmage would be to low (direct short)

Here is a great link to a great company that will give you very good and easy to understand advice on this,

http://www.yorkville.com/default.asp?p1=6&p2=0&p_id=17

• Members

The biggest problem with series connections is (aside from the bizzar non-standard connectors and wiring (which is a sizeable problem of it's own)) that it works like the old christmas tree lites (if one goes out they all go out).

In other words if there's a break anywhere in your wiring (this includes an open voice coil in many cases) everything connected to that amp channel will go down. This makes troubleshooting on the fly a lot more problematic.

Archived