Monitor wedge with kick and bass

• Members

Hey I am just wondering how others set up their monitor EQ's to handle some kick drum and bass guitar in them. What frequencies do you generally decrease to protect the speaker from getting damaged, yet still get an adequate ammount of volume and clarity from the wedge? I am using monitors with 15" and horn.

• Members

Hey I am just wondering how others set up their monitor EQ's to handle some kick drum and bass guitar in them. What frequencies do you generally decrease to protect the speaker from getting damaged, yet still get an adequate ammount of volume and clarity from the wedge? I am using monitors with 15" and horn.

Are you running accoustic (not electronic drums)? Does you bass player have a an amp/cabinet? I have never needed additional bass/kick in the monitors beyond what I'm hearing on stage.

• Members

Depends greatly on the wedge. I use older Peavey 115ti's with an audiopile 1541 (JBL 2226) and a 22XT comp driver run passive. It's in a sealed box and handles bass and kick pretty well. All the wedges are HPF'd at 75hz and once rung out have no issues putting kick and bass loudly thru them. They don't reproduce 50hz real well, it does sound loud but not huge like having a sub would. You may want to consider a 2x15 +1" drum fill if thats the case.

p

• Members

I am currently using the Yorkville YX15P monitors. I dont personally need kick or bass when i play, but when i do sound for other groups sometimes it is requested by the drummer to get a little kick and/or bass in their mix. I'll probably just cut frequencies below 75hz so it doesnt have to try and produce the real low stuff.

Its all acoustic drums, and as a drummer i can understand why they would want a little kick when stage volumes get up to high volume levels, so i would just like to be able to put a little in there without hurting my speakers.

Archived