You May Want To Avoid This Company . . .

• Members

Howdy! I didn't know which forum to post this, but I feel that I should give everyone a heads up.

I wrote to this company, Sound Speaker Repair , in Tuscon, Arizona, for info on repairing an old TOA speaker.

[link removed by moderator]

WARNING: PROFANITY

Not very friendly, huh?

A bit of quick backround: I called them yesterday to ask if returning customers got a break on price, and was told that I shouldn't be calling, they were mainly an internet business, and that it costs them money to answer the phone and take my order. shock.gif I was then told that taking the time to answer the phone and deal with me takes time away from repairing speakers! Needless to say, I won't be giving them any of my business anymore.

I grabbed their email address from one of my previous orders so that I could write a complaint email. But I got it mixed up with the TOA speaker question that I intended to send to Orange County Speaker Repair , who were happy to talk to me and take my order.

Just a word of caution.

• Members

OK, I'll bite .... so why 2 phone numbers prominently displayed on their website, one of which is an 800 number? They are hoping, encouraging even, that you call.

Sounds like someone should give Paul Harvey a call.

• Members

OK, I'll bite .... so why 2 phone numbers prominently displayed on their website, one of which is an 800 number? They are hoping, encouraging even, that you call.

Sounds like someone should give Paul Harvey a call.

Don't forget the fact that it's always possible Synthaholic staged it because the company pissed him off. Not that I'm accusing him of that, but I've seen crazier things.

I'd be curious to hear what that company thinks about it.

• Members

Zeromus-X, you are correct, this customer is a little upset.

The customer called because he had blown the JBL 2416 diaphragm we sold to him on 6-27-06 and wanted us to replace it under warranty. We explained to him that we do have a 30-day return policy. This policy is clearly stated on our website, eBay auctions and sales receipt. The customer was not happy with this policy. After awhile of not getting anywhere with this customer on the phone, we said that we are very busy and can no longer spend any more time with him about this subject.

We then received an e-mail from this same customer. Yes, profanity was sent in the reply of his e-mail. The customer then sent a complaint e-mail about the e-mail he received. The employee that sent the e-mail was reprimanded but will not be fired; he is a very good reconer but does have poor people skills and will no longer be answering the phone or replying to e-mails. Apparently, this was not good enough for the customer and he has posted this comment that we are replying to.

As for your Meyer MS15, whoever told you this should have said that the parts are no longer available from Meyer. There are plenty of aftermarket parts available to repair your speaker. Just like the JBL D130, the original parts are no longer available for this speaker either. If you have JBL recone your D130, they will use a K130 kit that has an M-roll cloth surround that will produce a different sound. We can recone the D130 with a paper surround. We again offer the 30-day warranty for this recone. If you do not like the repair, just send us back the parts, and we will send you a refund. If you call Orange County Speaker Repair, I am sure they will tell you the same thing.

abzurd, yes we do encourage you to call, but keep in mind that anytime you call anyone, that person does not want there time wasted any more then you would want your time wasted.

• Members

Good to hear from you (much better when both parties give their side of the story!). I'm assuming someone told you about the thread. Also very impressed that you lived up to the fact that the employee did indeed send that email instead of denying it happened. Hopefully the appropriate actions will really be taken because I know damn well I wouldn't deal with a company that sent me anything like that, and I'd be telling as many people as possible about it!

I've already sold that Meyer speaker and replaced it with an Eminence Kappa Pro LF, which I believe is giving me great results (though admittedly I never heard the Meyers before they blew; bought it screwed-up... "heh"). I didn't even know there were aftermarket parts available though I'll definitely keep that (and you guys) in mind now.

• CMS Author

Someone "reported" the original post in this thread, complaining about profanity. I don't see this, and neither the HC user name nor the email address are valid in the email notification I received. If you've reported this post, please PM me with the reasons and I'll address as needed.

• CMS Author

Okay, after receiving a second report with a clearer explanation, from the same person, I'm taking the following action:

The link to the email with the offensive picture is removed.

I have removed SSR's last paragraph, which unfortunately falls under advertising by a commercial user. Advertising by companies is not permitted within the forums.

Posting about problems with a specific company is always touchy, and doing so while the issue is still 'hot' is more so. Please wait until the heat of the moment is gone before considering posting about issues. Nothing in this thread is really useful, as I see equal cases of poor judgement on both sides.

• Members

Good to hear from you (much better when both parties give their side of the story!). I'm assuming someone told you about the thread. Also very impressed that you lived up to the fact that the employee did indeed send that email instead of denying it happened. Hopefully the appropriate actions will really be taken because I know damn well I wouldn't deal with a company that sent me anything like that, and I'd be telling as many people as possible about it!

Well, exactly. And that's all I'm doing - letting as many people know about it as possible.. I'm not mad, I never was mad. I asked if the blown diaphram was still under warranty from last June - it wasn't. I asked if returning customers pay less, since eBay listing charges don't apply. That's when he told me that they were an internet company and it costs money to answer the phone. Right then, I knew I wasn't going to give him my business - not after his email. I got it from speakerrepair.com for $4 cheaper, and they were happy to talk to me, so it's all good.

• Members

Okay, after receiving a second report with a clearer explanation, from the same person, I'm taking the following action:

The link to the email with the offensive picture is removed.

I understand your actions, Moderator Craig. I guess, in hindsight, I could have described the photo. But I thought the warning I gave was sufficient warning.

Posting about problems with a specific company is always touchy, and doing so while the issue is still 'hot' is more so. Please wait until the heat of the moment is gone before considering posting about issues. Nothing in this thread is really useful, as I see equal cases of poor judgement on both sides.

I agree, although I believe the opening post is even in tone, and not rankerous. I just stated my experience as a customer, in a forum where musicians exchange information. I would never start a thread because some business was rude to me on the phone, or someone sold me a bum piece of gear! I felt the photo was so over the line as to how a company should act toward a customer, I chose to share.

• Members

I got it from speakerrepair.com for $4 cheaper, and they were happy to talk to me, so it's all good.

It will be interesting to see if speakerrepair is equally as enthusastic about your return business if in a few months:

1) You blow up your speakerrepair replacement diaphragm

2) You contact them asking about warranty replacement of the diaphragm months after the warranty expires.

3) When they say no to the freebee replacement, you ask them for a price break 'cause you're a good customer.

I personally believe it's a disservice to my truly good customers to be overly accomodating of truly bad customers... since the cost of accomodating truly bad customers must be passed on to my good customers, and I have a duty to my good customers to not make them pay for bad customers. This is a judgement call I make every day, but I make it on behalf of my good customers.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from.:)

• Members

abzurd, yes we do encourage you to call, but keep in mind that anytime you call anyone, that person does not want there time wasted any more then you would want your time wasted.

He sounds pre-disposed to viewing phone calls as a nuisance.

I didn't start this thread to complain about his rudeness on the phone, or my bad experience as a customer. It was to show what he sent me in an email, which he admitted to, to his credit. You condone that? You want to do business with him? Have fun. I won't.

• Members

Ahhhh, repeat diaphram failures just warms my heart. And funny, it's always a "defective" part and never seems to be the result of continued poor judgement by the user.

Funny, I always thought of the user as an integral part of the overall system. That specific part goes defective on occasion ;)

V.

• CMS Author

Personally I can't believe the original link was removed. It's no problem if I say "{censored} you!" in the forums, yet a link to an image of it is removed?

Not cool, IMO.

The image was offensive and unneccessary to the thread because the vendor admitted that his company sent it.

To clarify, writing "FU" in the forums *is* a problem depending upon context and forum. For a specific example, it's not okay in this forum when used against another forumite. Every forum has it's own 'culture', and this one's has always been more conservative. It's not my intent to police language here, and I hope it doesn't come to that. Let's just self-moderate...I've got a life too. Really.:D

• Members

So you did not attempt to claim some sort of warranty satisfaction?

No, I didn't. I used my receipt from June as my reference for the part #, instead of opening up my cabinet. I then said "It looks like I bought this in June - it's not still under warranty, is it?" to which he said no. That was it: no argument, no getting mad, just a question. But again, this thread is about the way he chose to respond to my email, not how he chose to respond to my phone call.

• Members

The image was offensive and unneccessary to the thread because the vendor admitted that his company sent it.

To someone just coming into the thread, without knowing what the email said, it might have said something like "Oh bugger! Please stop calling us, we're quite busy today." Or it might have said "Call us again and we're going to rape your mother and {censored} on your chest." Know what I mean?

Either way, I'm done here, continue on.

• Members

To someone just coming into the thread, without knowing what the email said, it might have said something like "Call us again and we're going to {censored} on your chest."

Now that's funny!

That's great customer service!

:lol:

Archived