ATTN: Will this help my sound on the PMP5000

• Members

I am starting a new thread to see if I am heading in the right direction.

As all who have read about my volume issue with my Berhinger PMP 5000 800watt powered mixer, I am going to try the suggestions from all that gave me input on the other thread.

The speakers I have used are Behringer 12's with a 93 dB Sensitivity and some said that was my main problem and not a faulty mixer.

So I borrowed a pair of Yamaha BR15 and the specs are:

15" (38cm) High Power Woofer

1" (25mm) Titanium Compression Driver

98 dB Sensitivity

Strong Steel Handle

Stand/pole socket

400 Watt Program/ 800 Watt Peak Power Handling

Now since I am a complete newbie but will moving from 93 to 98 a big difference. It does not look like that would be very much but I don't completely understand how db works.

Someone compaired a Peavey with 97db and said at 200 watts that my volume should double. That really don't make sense to me but it probably does to all you pros.

My observation is Friday night we are going to practice and I will use the borrowed Yamaha speakers for a test.

I could not see buying a new set of speakers and chance that not being the problem.

If by chance this does make a huge difference and I buy some new speakers.

I am on a limited budget but don't want to waste my money either.

Here are some of the speakers I am looking at that I could manage in my budget.

Yamaha BR12 or BR15

Peavey PR15N Neo PA Speaker Cabinet

Peavey PV115 PA Speaker Cabinet (15 Inch, 2 Way)

JBL JRX115 PA Speaker Cabinet with Tripod Speaker Stand (15 Inch, 250 watt

Yamaha S112V Club V PA Speaker Cabinet

And finally these which would put me over my budget

JBL EON 1500 PA Speaker Cabinet with Tripod Speaker Stand (15 Inch

Without hearing any of these I am leaning toward the Yamaha BR15 or the JBL JRX 115, but would like suggestions on any off the issues I have mentioned.

much thanks in advance,

fisherman

• Members

How about Yamaha club 15s. They are a popular choice and a good overall PA speaker. They also have 99DB/w/m efficiency which should be a very noticeable increase in volume compared to the 93DB efficient. As with my YX15 example, the Club 15s would only need 60 watts to produce the sound level you are getting with 200 watts into the Behringers. Actually, the YX15s would also be a good choice, not quite as performing as the Club 15s, but a very good sounding speaker at a great price. The Peavey PR15 and PV115 are essentially the same, except for the PV115 being much heavier (wooden box) - they sound OK for their price. The JRXs are not liked by most on this forum so there are probably better choices. The BR15 is OK, less aggressive than the Clubs and with less maximum output capability. Al

• CMS Author

Of the speakers listed, the Yamaha Club are the best choice IMO. But instead of the S112V, get the SM12V, which has identical drivers in a floor wedge/pole mountable box. More flexibility in use, as it'll pole mount, freestand, or be a floor wedge. Same price.

The difference from 93dB to 97dB will be significant....assuming the ratings are based on similar testing. That part is extremely doubtful, but it could go the other way too....the 93 could be optimistic, the 97, conservative, resulting in a really big difference.

Proof of the pudding is in the eating, so go to it!

Archived