My answer to the powered Behringer speakers!

• Members

A couple of weeks ago I asked had anyone tried the Behringer B215A powered PA speakers and as you know well the response I got from just mentioning the "B" word here.

The last post was why don't I waste my money and buy them and then give a review.

Well I am not a big "B" person either but have found some of their equipment to be suffient.

With that being said I was not brave enough to purchase 2 but only bought one.

I used it last night and was I in for a surprise. It blowed away my Yamaha B 15's and also my Yamaha Club V15's. It has amazing power not like the overrated power on the powered mixers.

It also can be adjusted for good bass or even good highs with a EQ system on the rear.

The pink noise was a little high but in range with the Yamaha's.

All I can say is I am ordering another today and at $249 for a 15" 400 watt powered speaker that is a very good buy for a new band on a budget. They can be turned sideways and used as monitors also.

I am going to use them for our FOH speakers.

Now I will say this they are no way as strongly built as the yamaha's but they only weigh 47 pounds versus 65 pounds. So the verdict is in on how well they hold up.

However, they come with a two year full warrenty.

Well there is my review I was asked to give!

I am no sound engineer but have played in bands for over 25 years so I trust my ears. Does anyone want to buy a pair of Yamaha B15's ?LOL

thanks,

fisherman

• Members

We have a single b215 we got at the musicians friend warehouse for 38 dollars. I answered a trivia question and got a steep discount...anyway, it's crytalclear and extremely punchy. Good speaker...likely the same as yours without the amp. It totally cranks clean sound at very high spls. I personally have pondered the b215a to go with my keyboard amp, since I'd have the mixer, 700 watts and true stereo if I wanted it. The keyboard amp isn't bi-amped, but it sounds very sweet too. Perfect for little coffee houses. I'd use the whole setup for bigger coffee houses, small churches, etc.

Thanks for the review..takes guts in the face of the potential onslaught.

God bless!

-Ron

God bless!

-Ron

• Members

I am the first to admit that Behringer does have some things that are not that great. But what company don't??

I just thought I would give my review on the powered B215. It is unbiased and my ears were the only measurement. The power of these are amazing and very clear. I have to say I was not expecting this.

These speakers compare very close to a friends Mackies that are 500watt powered. I believe the Behringer is somewhat louder but both very close in sound quality. The B215 does have a little more pink noise than the mackie however. But compare the price of the two with the B215A only $249.

These would work as FOH speakers, monitors or just a small portable PA. The possibilites are endless.

Yes, I know I will get crucified for posting this but I am happy with my purchase. Money was not a issue with me . I could have purchased any powered speaker I wanted.

I just wanted to see what a $249 powered speaker could do and give a honest review. I know back years ago when we were starting out and barely had any money these would have got us up an going without hijacking a bank to pay for some equipment.

I am tough skinned so if you need to vent on me for my honesty go ahead.

I just ordered another one a few minutes ago. Did not really need it but since one sounded so good I thought it should have a partner.

thanks,

fisherman

• CMS Author

Yes, I know I will get crucified for posting this but I am happy with my purchase.

I don't know why you say this. As has been discussed here ad-nauseum, the issues with Behringer are their business practices, warranty support, product performance, and quality. You've ignored the first issue, which is your personal choice, haven't had to deal with the second, are happy with the third, and time will tell on the fourth.

Nobody will begrudge your purchase. That is entirely different from recommending it. I'm glad you're happy with your new speaker, and I hope it continues to work for you.

• Members

OK, I agree I have no idea how it will hold up and I did mention that.

But at $249, How many could I buy before I reached the price of a $500 watt 15" Mackie? I think the Mackie would have some problems before I ever reached the difference.

So I look at it as if I get two years out of it without problems, then I just chunk it and replace it. Sorta like a fridge when the compresser goes it is cheaper to replace than repair.

Now if my living was music (which it is a hobby) I would buy the Mackie because of quality. However, I have never been a "what is the popular brand type of person) but someone who likes a product for how it performs no matter if it is a BMW or a Chevy.

Just wanted to give a review on first thoughts but I will also be fair and give a honest review if I have problems which a lot of you seem to think I will.

And just a note to defend Behringer..............I purchased a 880S powered mixer from AMS on the internet and it lasted 60 days and just died.

AMS would not replace it because it was over their 45 day return. I called Behringer customer support and told them I did not want another one but could use the Euro 2500 amp but did not want to wait weeks to get it.

They sent me to a local retail store and they gave me a new amp and I left them the broken mixer. No charge and I did not even buy anything from that store. I call that better than average in customer service. Especially when the amp was more than the mixer. Would you not agree?

• Members

So I look at it as if I get two years out of it without problems, then I just chunk it and replace it. Sorta like a fridge when the compresser goes it is cheaper to replace than repair.

And add more plastic junk to our already burdened landfills?

This is the attitude that rewards manufactures (in general) for producing cheap, unreliable crap. Look at the lifecycle cost of a product and you may find that the cheap junk is pretty expensive by comparison.

• CMS Author

Behringer equipment has always come with a one year warranty. I don`t believe this has changed. Al

If the many reports of spotty warranty service are any indication of reality, it doesn't matter if it's a ten-year warranty.

At any rate, I looked closely at the warranty:

http://www.behringerdownload.de/warranty/Garantiebedingungen_ENG_Rev_B.pdf

It is indeed one(1) year, not two.

Read the details. That's one sweet deal, that warranty....:rolleyes:

• Members

When you buy from American Musical Supply you get a extended two year full warranty with most of Behringher stuff! Here is a joke for me that you all will like.

I guess if you are stupid enough to buy "B" products they feel sorry for you and give you a additional year.:thu:

Anyway, I guess we have beat this one to death.

I love the speaker right now and promise to re-post in about six months or in the case of a problem earlier.

If it keeps on like last night I will be more than happy and extra money to buy that new American Tele I been looking at.Yea:)

• Members

AMS would not replace it because it was over their 45 day return. I called Behringer customer support and told them I did not want another one but could use the Euro 2500 amp but did not want to wait weeks to get it.

They sent me to a local retail store and they gave me a new amp and I left them the broken mixer. No charge and I did not even buy anything from that store. I call that better than average in customer service. Especially when the amp was more than the mixer. Would you not agree?

I think that is better than any warranty or service I have ever received on any product. This was all done with one phone call and happened the same day. They called the store in my area who I have never done business with and I took the 880S mixer (broke) into the retail store and walked out with a Euro 2500 amp that was $39 more than the mixer and it did not cost me anything but my time and gas. What is your take on that??

fisherman

• CMS Author

I think that is better than any warranty or service I have ever received on any product. This was all done with one phone call and happened the same day. They called the store in my area who I have never done business with and I took the 880S mixer (broke) into the retail store and walked out with a Euro 2500 amp that was $39 more than the mixer and it did not cost me anything but my time and gas. What is your take on that??

fisherman

That's excellent service. It's also the only incidence I've heard like this regarding Behringer. Let's hope it's an indication of better things from them in the future.

• Members
That's excellent service. It's also the only incidence I've heard like this regarding Behringer. Let's hope it's an indication of better things from them in the future.

Behr sent me a new mixer..........after the forth time in for repairs within a year...................and it took numerous phones calls to the US warranty department and over 3 months to have them send the new one out. So I was stuck w/o that mixer for well over 3 months. Fortunately, I had a backup. As soon as I finally got the new mixer, it went on Ebay.

• CMS Author

Behr sent me a new mixer..........after the forth time in for repairs within a year...................and it took numerous phones calls to the US warranty department and over 3 months to have them send the new one out. So I was stuck w/o that mixer for well over 3 months. Fortunately, I had a backup. As soon as I finally got the new mixer, it went on Ebay.

This sounds a lot more like what I hear time and again.

There's always hope.:thu::D

• Members

I too had also heard all the horror stories of sending your stuff off for repair and still be waiting 6 months.

I can truly say it was the easiest exchange I have ever made. I must have got lucky and the right person answered the phone. But I do know they went beyond what was expected and made it happen that day and even at a Retail Music store I had never been through the doors before.

I knew the amp was about $30 more and also I know it costs money to ship the broke mixer back but I just walked in and he told me to pick out what I needed and he got the serial number from the box and I was on my way.

Next time might be a dog of another color however, my hats off to Behringer customer service for the fastest turnaround time I have ever experienced.

I wish some of the "latest Big Name people" will treat me the same way when I purchase some of their equipment.

I do know I had a experience with Yamaha several years ago and the problem was never resolved. I said I would never buy anything from them again.

However, several people on this forum convinced me to buy 2 Yamaha Club V's 15" and they were $349 each. I keep them 3 days and traded with a friend of mine for a set of BR-15's and boot. I actually liked the BR-15's better than the clubs. Most likely the reason is I probably did not have enough power to run them at the best level. The Euro 2500 amp is rated in 2 ohms and when you eventually break it down to the 8 ohm speakers you loss watts fast.

I did a run on the system a few minutes ago with the 2 br-15's hooked up to the amp and run the 1 Behringer out of the mon jack. The one Behringer speaker blew the two Yamaha's away. Both in SPL and quality.

This was a big surprise for me.

I don't know how much SPL is coming out of the "B" speaker but at unity it was all I could stand in a 24' X 24' building and I still had probably 30 percent more headroom on the speaker before clipping.

thanks,

fisherman

• Members

300 watts per Club is certainly fine, but it depends on how the watts are really rated. Maybe it was the amp that was not doing the speakers justice? The Club V's are probably the best bang for the buck performer on the market, or at least a close second.

• Members

It is important to remember all off the processing in a powered speaker. Factory pre-eq'ing gives it excellent sound out of the box without much (if any) additionnal EQ needed. Most passive PA cabs will naturally sound dull in comparison (if you are feeding it the same signal) Al

• Members

It is important to remember all of the processing in a powered speaker. Factory pre-eq'ing gives it excellent sound out of the box without much (if any) additionnal EQ needed. Most passive PA cabs will naturally sound dull in comparison (if you are feeding it the same signal) Al

This is one reason why (good) powered speakers for casual users can be a much better ooption.

• Members

Fisherpard..go to www.synthzone.com and give them your feedback. Gigging keyboard musicians over there are sharing their experience with behringer gear, and every other imaginable brand as well. They will appreciate your inputs and have some for you as well, based on current and recent experience. www.studiotrax.net would be interested as well. Neither of these forums are into the high end pro audio scene...average joes like me go there. Also, check your PM.

God bless!

-Ron

• Members

Couple things..

I had a Behringer Feedback Destroyer unit that had worked for about six months. During a massive power surge that popped all my protection in my live sound rack, the power supply failed in the Behringer unit.

Still under warranty, I sent it to the nearest warranty repair facility and had it back in seven days. No questions asked.

And there is a local music retailer around here that carries Behringer gear and they run sound at local festivals, fairs, outdoor markets, etc.

They use a 100% Behringer system. Mixers, amps, EQ, and all the speakers.

They have been using the same system for a couple of years with no failures and I had to admit the system sounded darn good.

They also carry Peavey, Yamaha and Mackie so they could put together a system from any of those brands just as easily, but because of cost decided to try out Behringer and have been totally pleased with the results.

It is hard to seperate the truth about Behringer gear from the politics of their corporate ethics so frequently a person looking for gear is getting unreliable mixed messages.

• Members

In a world where excellence is now expected..even at rock bottom cost (trash service, for example)...Few people spread the good news about products that work, or services that do a great job at low cost (trash service, for example). On the other hand, because excellence is expected...an unsatisfied customer WILL tell everyone within earshot (the world wide web makes this even more effective..eyeshot, I guess) and may even launch a personal smear campaign against the offending company (trash service for example). I have experienced this first hand, having owned my own trash service for over 10 years. It doesn't matter if "word of mouth is the best advertizing" used to be true or not...this is the year 2007, and I guarantee you it is no lnger the best advertising to the degree it is the worst advertising. "What have you done for me lately" is also not as important as it used to be, since competitive pricing by everyone often levels the field enough for many people to not worry about price once the grudge is in place. Grudges lasting 10 years or more are frequently referenced in all kinds of internet forums regarding products from dog foods to motorcycles...people "swearing off" buying a product from a certain manufacturer is a fact of life in every area of consumer buying. Current, consumer reports are the only way to compile "research" on a product, and the internet often skews the true story in one direction...the negative. I always suggest finding real people to talk to. I know people who have sworn off buying Peavey, JBL, Altec-Lansing (is this still a company?), radio shack, of course...it runs the gamut. You get what you pay for is even an inaccurate indicator of quality, as new companies enter markets vying for market share (trash service comes to mind again) . In the end..."wisdom" is often far more silent than foolishness. Experience is the best teacher...I'll buy that one, if the experience actually reflects current product lines. All to often it doesnt, and all too often, it isn't interested in teaching you...unless it's your own experience.

God bless!

-Ron

Archived