Vocal Enhancer

• Members

Don't take this wrong (a couple guys accused me of being "difficult" here lately), but let me suggest that you spend the money you would spend on an "enhancer and instead spend it on some vocal lessons, learn some technique and also how to hold pitch and listen and breathe and phrase etc.

This is something, along with practicing what you learn, that will really make you a better singer and this will last longer and work better than any processor of similar cost.

• CMS Author

+1 on getting lessons. It works. You'll be amazed how your voice can improve with good coaching and appropriate practice.

Vocal effects like doubling will only create a 'fatter' version of an off-key pitch....you don't want that.

Vocal pitch correction can work for recorded work, as it can be applied correctly in the studio post-performance. It rarely works well live, as it has some latency, it usually has to be told what key you're in for each song, and if it 'misses' the pitch you were trying for, it'll "correct" to the next step.....BIG UGLY......

• Members

A good voice teacher can really help. A voice teacher can help you with your pitch and tone. A lot of pitch problems stem from lack of breath support. I've witnessed a voice teacher take a good singer to an excellent singer. And another person who couldn't sing at all to one who now sings well.

the other thing, is you need to practice.

• Members

I took 6 lessons, and she focused on my breathing & tongue placement among a few other things, but I'm still not happy and feel like I'm flat sometimes. She listened to some the live recordings I have of the band and thought it was not necessarily a pitch problem but more that I wasn't happy with the 'color' of the tone - whatever that means. I've tried to work on skipping over some of consonants and focusing on the vowels. I still have trouble trying to hit high notes. I'd like to try some Journey but doubt I'll ever hit Steve Perry's high notes.

I saw this on Ebay - -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ARTQ%3AUS%3A1&viewitem=&item=150115304658&rd=1

I guess this won't help. Thx

• Members

Even the best singers in the world have vocal coaches. The singer in my band also has done some vocal teaching and is probably the pickiest person I know in terms of vocal quality and technique. One way he keeps evaluating himself is to make recordings and then immediately listen to them so he knows what he thought vs. what actually transpired. He can hear it accurately when singing (most people don't hear their true voice since their voice and ears are in the same head and thus distort it) but still picks up subtle things on a recording to work on.

• Members

You can increase your range somewhat if you really work at it.

There's nothing wrong with transposing a song. I've played in cover bands for the past 40+ and have transcribed numerous songs. I've found songs covered by different artists in very different keys and yet they all sounded good. Transpose the song to what's comfortable for your voice and rework the arrangement to fit the new key.

Often, even though you might be transposing a song down, if it's high in your range it doesn't sound like you're singing low or muddy. The tessitura of your voice can sound like the tessitura of a person with a higher pitch range.

There's often more than one right way to do something, especially singing songs.

Archived