Does anybody know about PAS speakers?

• Members

yes... depending on your perspective.

WHY do you ask?

Ah, a taker. Thanks.

So, I'm trying to put together a basic, cheap PA rig for a basic, cheap Rock band. Maybe a coupla 12's mains on sticks, coupla monitors, a sub. Basic. Used. We do this for fun, we aren't out to "make it", it's okay if we sound "Garage" or whatever. We're kinda loud, I run a 50 watt Bassman through the original 2*12 cab at about 7 if that gives you some indication.

I've been pricing gear, checking pawn shops, craigslist, etc. I've found a set of 2 PAS mains, 12"s, and 2 15" subs. I think I could probably bring it all home for ~$500 or so. From the looks of the equipment, it looks old, maybe 1980s, but extremely rugged. I think it says its from their Target series. The website seems to indicate they're a California company that specializes in equipping large venues. I haven't heard the speakers in question. I was just curious if anybody on here knew anything about their relative quality, if they might or might not be worth a second look/might fit the bill, etc.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

• Members

I used to have 4 of the PAS Target 12" 2 way boxes. I used them for "speaker on a stick" type vocal/acoustic work. They sounded pretty good and were light weight. They don't do bass at all so a sub will be necessary for full range duty.

They get plenty loud for acoustic work and soft rock work, but if you have a loud band, you may find them lacking (or you could just turn it down a couple of notches).

• Members

They make a real killer little 10" lightweight monitor cab. PAS has been around since the late 70's for sure. That's when I first recall seeing the brand locally. There is a local sound company that went from JBL 4719/4732 cabs to similar config PAS cabs and was happy with the results. No idea what the models were.

• Members

I used to have 4 of the PAS Target 12" 2 way boxes. I used them for "speaker on a stick" type vocal/acoustic work. They sounded pretty good and were light weight. They don't do bass at all so a sub will be necessary for full range duty.

They get plenty loud for acoustic work and soft rock work, but if you have a loud band, you may find them lacking (or you could just turn it down a couple of notches).

Thanks for the input. Do you happen to recall how much wattage they claimed to handle? The one's I'm seeing look old, carpet covered, and look very heavy. Maybe if you know what wattage yours were I can go back and compare and see if we're talking about the same animal.

Thanks again.

• Members

They make a real killer little 10" lightweight monitor cab. PAS has been around since the late 70's for sure. That's when I first recall seeing the brand locally. There is a local sound company that went from JBL 4719/4732 cabs to similar config PAS cabs and was happy with the results. No idea what the models were.

Ah, just the guy I was looking for. I tried to PM you to ask you about these several weeks ago but your inbox was full. I respect your opinions about this stuff. So, sounds like they may be worth looking into then. Usually, I know if you think something sucks you are quick to say so...

Thanks for the info.

• Members

There is a local sound company that went from JBL 4719/4732 cabs to similar config PAS cabs and was happy with the results. No idea what the models were.

Actually, I believe the sound company you're referencing... went with a PAS line array about 1 1/2 years ago... if it's who I think you're thinking of (cause I believe I might have sold them the road trunks to house their new PAS speakers).:D

• Members
Actually, I believe the sound company you're referencing... went with a PAS line array about 1 1/2 years ago... if it's who I think you're thinking of (cause I believe I might have sold them the road trunks to house their new PAS speakers).
:D

From Sioux Falls?

• Members

Thanks for the input. Do you happen to recall how much wattage they claimed to handle? The one's I'm seeing look old, carpet covered, and look very heavy. Maybe if you know what wattage yours were I can go back and compare and see if we're talking about the same animal.

Thanks again.

The boxes I had look like one of their current boxes, the T1220B shown here:

http://pas-toc.com/pdf/Target.pdf

The differences being that mine were covered in gray carpet, were 200 watt boxes, were definitly NOT 3/4" in plywood and therefore did not weigh 62lbs (I would say high 30's at best).

HTH

• Members

I used some PAS 15" monitor wedges in the 80s (they had a time aligned 1" horn sticking out from the center of the monitor (sorta like the Altec 604s but a conical horn)). I liked them. They were a little light on the bottom end but I think that's because there was less woofer cone surface area due to the horn. They were built well and sounded quite good. By buddy's runs sound at a metal club for the last 5 yrs and uses 2ea PAS 18" folded horns for subs. They've never blown up and they seem to thump pretty good. They're not EAW but like I said I like them. Sorry I don't know any of the model numbers.

Archived