Newbie here - Question with Mixer's Main out

• Members

Cheers!

Yesterday I was checking some equipment a friend and I bought to understand how it works, and we found an issue that I think is not a big deal, but we have no idea what to do.

We'll use the equipment next week so basically we will only need to connect a PC to the mixer and send the signal to the aural exciter and then to the power amp to the speakers. We hope it will be an easy test.

We connected an iPod to the CD IN so we could use the main volume of the mixer to control it. Then connected one cable from the R Main Out to the aural exciter's Input 1 and and another from the L Main Out to the Input 2, and here's the deal: Only the Right side was "working" (sending the signal to the aural exciter). We switched the cables from the Mixer's output and then only the Left side was working! Like some kind of PAN, althought at the speakers we listened the music without any problem! :confused:

We wanted to control the signal both sides (L and R, I'm not sure if that's stereo) from the mixer and when that happened, our minimal sound knowledge was kicked away.

As I told you before, we are newbies, and any documentation, help or tip will be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

• Members

Sounds like a bad cable. Try one cable from the board to the exciter. Then switch the connection from L to R. Do both work? Try with the other cable. Is it the sound from the board to the exciter or from the iPod to the board that is flakey?

• Members

Hey! Thanks for the fast answer...

Let's see, we switched cables from L to R as you specified and both exciter's channels work.

I just want to clarify that we are confused because we expected to work with both channels all the way from the Mixers Main Outs to the exciter to the power amp, but at the end, what we expected was using only one channel! not two! :p

• Members

1st thing is the standard for L/R stuff is L is CH1 and R is CH2, if someone other than you should look at the setup it could be a bit confusing reversed.

2nd thing: WTF? Aural exciter? Better used as a wheel chock than any audio purpose, unless you're at a gig and the van is parked on a hill. Snake oil...

So it does sound like a bad cable. If the iPod cable was an issue then input 1 on the Aphex wouldn't have worked anyway. Get a new cable a go for it.

p

Archived