Signal loss?

• Members

Okay why is one side of my PA louder then the other I have a bare bones set up for small gigs here's what I got.

Peavey PV10 mixer>DBX215 EQ>Crown 602XLS amp>2 PR15's

I use Mark's EWI balanced cables and EWI speaker cables all cables were tested using a Rolls cable tester no issues were found. I set my amps attenuator all the way up for full signal. I run 2 mics,1 guitar POD,and 1 Bass POD ran into the mono channels of the mixer. I run a set of Roland V-Drums into the stereo channel of the mixer and pan dead center left side is louder then right side WTF? is going on any ideals or suggestion greatly appreciated. Thanks

• Members

I'm hoping you've already done this but I'd start with swapping things from left to right and vice versa. Swap just speakers and retest, then just speaker cables, amp outputs, EQ outs, mixer outs, all cables. This may lead you a single component if it really is louder. Or at least you can know that everything by itself is ok. Last time I had this happen to me someone changed the gain on one side of my EQ and I simply overlooked it.

Also I'd be curious as to listening to each channel by itself to see how they sound by themselves.

If that doesn't get anywhere, then I'd recommend a large blunt object and start swinging. Your sound is sure to change and give you a new challenge.

• Members

Do the level meters on your mixer light up equally on each side when signal is going through? Is the system still louder on one side if you take the EQ completely out of the signal path? Plug a CD player directly into the amp to see if the amp might be a problem. My Mackie FR1400 did this to me once at a gig where one side of the amp was putting out more sound than the other, for about 2 minutes, then it was ok :confused: . Is it possible you have a piece of food stuck inside one of your ears? :D Hey, you never know... Al

• Members

Are you deaf in one ear??

That's quite a serious question. I've had people say one side or the other of a pa is louder and I've had one person sure that the horns in the wedges weren't working purely because of hearing (permanent or temporary) loss.

• Members

No deafness I get yearly check ups. Just tried it without the EQ in line still got the same problem. So guess I'll do this next gig in mono I'll just daisy chain the 2 PR's into the amp's strong side. Which really we don't need alot of SPL because we just above a loud conversation. Looks like it time shop for a new amp. Go figure the warranty just expired Murphy's law I can't escape guess I'll have to bitch slap his old lady so I can get some satisfaction.:lol:

• Members

an obvious question but are there walls/boundries on one side and not the other? There are a couple repeat gigs I do where at first I swore the PA was acting up. Walls can act as support, as opposed to free standing speakers

• Members

No walls I got this set up in my garage as of now and it's the amp for some strange reason the left side cranks out plenty of SPL but the right side is about half, were talking bare bones set up amp mixer and speakers nothing else in line. I checked the meters on the mixer which light's up even, as Al suggested. Thanks Al for your input. I took the mixer into my spare room studio and routed it out to check it both main L/R channel work like they should and all the other channel strip works like they should. Checked all the cables with a tester and swap sides. Every freaking thing you guys mentioned I've tried to no avail so I assuming that my Crown amp turned into a lemon I mean running it mono not a problem but when your used to small venues with lite SPL you can actually hear the stereo image of the V-drums and occasion keyboard guest we have set in from time to time. Guess I'll take it to the shop and see WTF? is going on with the amp find out if it's worth saving or not.

• Members

Are there barrier strip inputs also on the amp? If so, check for an input jumper unbalancing one of the inputs. A connection between pin 1 & 2 or 1 & 3 will cause a 6dB difference.

No barrier strips, it's a Crown XLS 602 with Speakon outs I check the pins as you suggest might be the problem.:idea:

• Members

Once again, too many details hidden in a user-hostile operator interface. Just be happy that it wasn't something like a x10 switch for crossover frequency!!! Horn drivers don't particularly care for that kind of accident.

yea no kidding.....

• Members

Your a absolute genius that solved the dilemma thanks for the help really appreciate it.
:thu::):D

I am smarter then I look (.... I know ... I know... nobody is THAT dumb! ).

Just a quick check here though, .. you don't have any wild eq settings do you?

• Members

Is the system still louder on one side if you take the EQ completely out of the signal path? Al

I guess you didn't try this when I suggested it in my first post. :)

I wouldn't have thought about the 6/12DB switch however since this is pretty hard to think of when you don't see the actual EQ. Good job Kevinnem. :thu:

Archived