New PA Help

• Members

I would some advice on setting up my PA.

Background,

38, married with 6 kids, Plant Manager at a metal stamping company. Have some friends that play in a "Weekend Warrior" type classic rock band and with the Praise Team at church.

Goals,

Play small party's with friends, outdoor functions with church where a band is required. NOT TO MAKE ANY MONEY WITH THIS, IT IS STRICTLY RECREATION FOR ME. And sound decent, don't need to make people deaf, just tight and somewhat full sounding.

I have attached a pdf and I hope it works, it has what I already own, and what I have budgeted.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Jeff

• Members

Background,

38, married with 6 kids, Plant Manager at a metal stamping company. Have some friends that play in a "Weekend Warrior" type classic rock band and with the Praise Team at church.

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice.

Jeff

Stop having kids. :)

• Members

The plan looks very good but I do have one suggestion. I'd look at replacing the EQ and crossover with a Driverack (PA or better yet 260). I find them much more versatile and once you figure out how to set them up, you will have many tools available to help your sound.

• Members

Looks good. If you are not afraid of ebay, I have gotten a couple of crossovers and other rack stuff there pretty reasonable. Of course there always is risk on ebay. You sould be able to find a 2 or 3 way mono x-over that should suit you just fine for a good price.

Peavey mains and sub seem good for what you're going for. There's some other stuff, like Yorkville cabinets, that people seem to really like too. Some of them seem fairly cost effective also. Might be worth a look even if you decide to go w/ the Peavey...I have some Yorkville amps myself, and they're tanks...15 years and still kicking butt. :thu:

We run a DBX eq on our mains and a Peavey Qf131 (feedback locator deal) on our monitors. Neither are high end, but the DBX seems to work fine and the peavey is good if you're running the monitors from the FOH board.

I'd say you're on the right track.

Don't forget to budget for Cables/DI's/Cases/Snake?/etc...

• Members

Personally, I'd use two of the peavys as monitors and two as mains (if they are adequate as mains that is) if your band is small enough...since you're bi-amp capable out of the pv1500 without an additional crossover. If the band is too big, monitors can be found cheaply as well (not that there's anything wrong with buying sp2s.) Then you only need an eq and a sub. We got our subs off ebay...sortof. After the auction expired they showed up on craigslist nearby. Our band is a five piece with two guitars, bass drummer and percussion, other stringed guy (me). We use three monitors with some creative sharing. We got two 118 hc subs for 250 bucks...just an example. Regardless of what you do...used is great. Also consider your true power requirements for the spaces you play...you might save by not buying an amp. My experience with outdoor church functions is that they simply don't want the volume you need tons of power for. They want to be able to back up out of the area and talk while still hearing the tunes.

God bless!

-Ron

• Members

Everything looks pretty good on your setup, but 2400 watts bridged from a QSC RMX-2450 might be a bit much for the Peavey SP-218... if it was me, I would switch the PV-1500 and the RMX-2450 around so that the sub gets a more reasonable amount of power and the mains get 500 watts in stereo off that amp, which would make them much louder and clearer... then when you eventually get a second sub, bi-amp your SP-2 mains and with the RMX-2450 on lows and the PV-1500 on highs, and get a bigger amp that can handle 2 of the SP-218 subs in stereo... then you'd have one kick-ass system!

Just some thoughts... good luck! :thu:

• Members

I didn't see the sub amp was bridged, I assumed 1 sub per channel and buying just one sub at first.

I was only guessing since the RMX-2450 is 2400 watts bridged @ 4 ohms, and the SP-218 is 2400 watts program power @ 4 ohms...

:confused:

• CMS Author

I was only guessing since the RMX-2450 is 2400 watts bridged @ 4 ohms, and the SP-218 is 2400 watts program power @ 4 ohms...

:confused:

Peavey seems to be pretty confident that powering with their program ratings is okay. If limiting can be set correctly and due caution is exercised, it'll work.

I wouldn't;)

• Members

Hmm, If it was me I wouldn't think twice at throwing 2400W at that SP218.

Even if you figure low and it has 2 600W speakers, which makes sense, you shoud be just fine at 2400 if you don't abuse your lows a lot. This is still assuming you're pushing only one cab with the one amp bridged. Problem may be, down the road, if you want to add another sub and you like the way it sounds pushing it with that much power, you're gonna be stuck getting another amp to push it too. :)

Even tho the 1500 has the built in X-over, I might think the qsc is a tad stouter and personally (opinion) would rather push the lows with that. Snapping up a basic 2 way x-over shouldn't be a big problem, and it still keeps it simple.

Something to think about...what about a peavey cs4080 for power instead of the qsc? it puts out like 2000@4 ohm/channel. that way if you get 2 sp218's you will be able to push both with decent power. Ive borrowed one to push my dual 18 cabinets and they did fine.

Just a thought...dunno if you are considering two low cab's.

• Members

Thanks for the advice.

Agedhorse is correct with not planning on bridging any amps.

I was wondering about the driverack system but not real sure about the learning curve.

I was also wondering about bi-amping the sp2, can you run one side of the amp for the loer frequency turned to max and the other side turned down to run the high frequency? or do i need another amp?

the monitors are not real strong, the ate old peavey stadia models, 12 inch drivers and a horn, onl about 130 watts. I got them cheap from church, they are white molded boxes.

BTW I live near Holland MI

Thanks

Jeff

• Members

I was also wondering about bi-amping the sp2, can you run one side of the amp for the loer frequency turned to max and the other side turned down to run the high frequency? or do i need another amp?

If you bi-amp the sp2, first, your prolly looking at (least) a 3 way mono x-over to accomidate the sub(s).

I think you can run it just like you say, one cranked, and the other side up just a little, or you can possibly run both sides up and adjust the level on the X-over itself. Guess it depends on the crossover and what amp your using. Someone will prolly chime in on what is the best for what your doing.

Are you planning on using only one sub or just getting one at first and later adding one?

A simple plan might be to look at a basic two way x-over, powering the sub(s) with the qsc (or whatever, I'm really thinking that cs4080 may be worth looking at.), then running the peavey 1500 stereo, pushing one channel per sp2, using the passive x-over. Cs800 on the monitors. Done.

I was wondering about the driverack system but not real sure about the learning curve.

Driverack has a lot of neat stuff packed in there, but if you want real simple and less things to worry about, I'd go pick up a used 2 way crossover like an EV XEQ-2 (or whatever), get those sp2's, then run em full range with that 1500. All you need then is your sp218(s) and an amp to push em. Then go rock and roll.

• Members

Biamping the SP-2's is another option, but the performance increase for your application may not be worth the added hassle.

Personally, I would use an RMX-2450 in "stereo" with a crossover. One channel for the sub and the other channel for the SP-2's. When you wantto add another sub, you could buy another RMX-2450 and run one sub box per channel on one of the amps and one of the sp-2's per channel on the other sub box. Crossover would not change.

Sonic Violence may not have problems putting that much power into a 218 cabinet, but I make a pretty good living reconing speakers ruined by folks doing just that. This includes Peavey speakers too.

• CMS Author

You really should have another amp with less power for the HF. There's no way to effectively 'turn down' a power amp....the attenuators are not a volume control in that a hot enough signal into the amp can still drive it to full power or beyond even with the attenuators set just under 'infinity'. Something like runaway feedback is an example of a 'hot enough' signal.

Peavey has an amp that's a perfect match to the SP-2's...the "Bi-Pack". Well worth considering.

One channel of the RMX2450 is a good enough match to the SP218 for now. Or you could rewire the speaker to permit you to run one driver per channel, but that's a lot of work for not a lot of reward.

• Members

If your heart (or budget) isn't set on getting one sp218, how about the sp118? At under $500 a pop, would two sp118's be unreasonable instead of one sp218?

That way, you have a sub on each side and you're able to pole mount both the sp2's to it's own sub. Run the QSC in stereo and drive one sub/channel. Keep everything else like you plan...1500 in stereo pushing both sp2's full range, cs800 for monitor duty.

Plus you would be sending 450W into a 600W SP118, rather than 650W into a 1200W SP218. Maybe a little better performance? Thoughts?

Just an Idea...

• Members

I had considered 2 single 18's, and I know they are easier to move, but wouldn't 2 single 18's stacked on top of each other give very similar performance to 1 double eighteen? $2000 for 4 singles or $1430 for 2 doubles leaves almost enough to pay for an amp. That was my theory anyway. Again, I am not looking to bridge anything.

Thanks for the input!

Archived