AKG, AUDIX Vs Shure sm58

• Members

I just need some quick opinions from someone who knows about mics. I was gonna get an sm58 with a firepod, but this dealer has only AKG and AUDIX. He says those are better than Shure mics, of course. I need a mic to record guitar cabinets, vocals and eventually use it live. Are there any akg or audix mics that are comparable in terms of quality of recording to the sm58 and in the same price range? I was looking at the audix om-5 or 6 and some akg like the D880. I am not sure how they compare, they have different frequencies. Reading some reviews people say it is better than the sm58. Do shure cost more just because of the name?

• Members

The shure SM 58 is indeed a standard mic, and well known. It is by no means "the best" mic out there, but it is usually "good enough", and it is durable. Both Audix and AKG have mics that are no doubt just as "good", and you will no doubt find those who like their mics better. For a first mic, I do recommend a SM 58, just so you will have one and be familiar with it. Then the next time this conversation comes up, you could participate in it with knowledge. Again, the SM 58 will almost always be "good enough", even if it is not the best.

• Members

The Shure SM57 is more of the "standard" guitar amp mic and is more than adaquate on vocals. The Audix i5 was designed to compete and be an imprrovement over the SM57. Most non-advertisement reports (many from preople I respect) say they succeded. If the vocal use is occassional and the mic is primarily for instruments, I'd get the i5. It SHOULD be $90-100 USD, which is what you can get it for on eBay and internet sales.

I'm only familiar with the various AKG drum mics.

Boomerweps

• Members

Most non-advertisement reports (many from people I respect) say they succeeded. If the vocal use is occasional and the mic is primarily for instruments, I'd get the i5.

I would say get the i5 as well. I haven't had the chance to directly compare the two, but in my trials the i5 has given great guitar tones and has served me very well thus far.

If you plan on using it for vocals, it'd be a good idea to use a pop filter if you're recording, and a windscreen live. There's not really a built-in windscreen/pop filter like on dedicated vocal mics so you'll be getting a lot of pops and wind noise, as well as a pronounced proximity effect.

• Members

The soundco I work for uses almost exclusively audix mics. Everyone else has already said it, but if you're recording guitar cabs, the ideal mic you'd want is the SM57, and as already said, their new competitor is Audix's i5. The frequency range and response is very comparable/similar to that of a 57. I've used both rather extensively and would entrust my gig to either mic. I've been more impressed with the pickup of the i5. I had it over a cocktail of foreign hand drums and other auxiliary percussion, but it sounded like they were close miked, and I had to do a double take to see if somebody had moved my mics to right over the drum head. The om-5 and 6 are both good mics too. I wouldn't go so far to say they're "better" or "worse" than a 58, because it can depend on the person's voice you're pitting the mic against.

• Members

If its for recording, I love the Studio Projects C1 condenser mic for the price. No live sound application at all beyond mic'ing a performance, but the quality just cannot be beat for a while further up the price scale. That being said, it is very, very flat. Your voice will sound exactly like your voice sounds, no bumps and no disguises, which can be a bad thing, but its what you want for tremendous post-production control. It is fantastic for a studio, and has tons of applications: vocals, acoustic instruments, and as a general drum mic (if you find the sweet spot you can get a great recording of a kit with this, an audix d6 on the kick, and an sm57 on the snare cocked and kinda getting the hi-hat). That can get you a pretty tremendous drum sound for about $400 in microphones.

For live sound, I swear by 58s. I have the d6 for kick and two 57s i picked up really cheap on craigslist, but for everything that isnt a kick or snare drum it gets a 58. And they are pretty much free to use (Well, besides inflation and interest), because if you buy them used on ebay you can always just sell them again for whatever you paid.

• Members

If you want a mic that sounds decent on cabs, and will work as a live vocal mic in any situation, get a used or demo OM7 from eBay or Ratsound.com

If you want a studio only mic that will sound great on cabs and vocals, search for a deal on an AT4050 or an AE5400.

• Members

thanks for all your advices. after a lot of reading I am down to the sm58 and the akg perception 200. NOW, I know they are different, but for what I will be doing the akg is flexible and the sm58 is also flexible. i think sm58 will be better on amps than the akg, but the akg has a pad. so which one do you advice? the akg can also be found used for very cheap and new for around $110.

• Members

The SM58 is still one of my favorite all-time mics as it is very rugged and can be used for more than vocal applications. My experience with AKG has not been good. The AKG tri power series microphone I purchased a few years ago was the worst 150$ I have ever spent. The dealer said it was better than the SM58 which is what I was originally intending to purchase but I soon discovered otherwise. Still very angry at myself for not bringing it back right away. It doesn't sound bad in a studio but in live sound apps it is a feedback magnet. Very very little gain before feedback. Good luck, Al

Archived