Instrument cable as speaker cable???

• Members

:confused:

What happens if I use a guitar cable as a speaker cable??

I want to try my new powered mixer, but I dont have speaker cables :cry:

BTW, its one of those Soundtech PMX10SD (450w x 2, plus 200w x 1 for monitors) powered mixers Music123 was blowing out for $199:cool:

• Members

It will work at low volume, it may even work at high volume, but due to the sheer amount of power running through the instrument cable the cable can heat up / short out / cause other undesirable effects that may hurt your amp, speaker or both.

Get a speaker cable.

• Members

Some power amplifiers do not like the additional capacitave load that most instrument cables present. Depending on the length and construction, some amplifiers can oscillate and then fail. Additionally, the gauge is generally too small.

If you plan on building your own cables, be sure to construct them properly. Poorly constructed cables can destroy an amp as well.

• Members

Mains electric flex can work fine in some PA loudspeaker applications, and be much cheaper than hi-fi or in-car speaker cables. Not lighting cable, but the sort of flex you'd use on power tools should be fine. And this can come in a good thick insulating sleeve, which hi-fi, car-fi cables often do not.

Or am I wrong?

• Members

Mains electric flex can work fine in some PA loudspeaker applications, and be much cheaper than hi-fi or in-car speaker cables. Not lighting cable, but the sort of flex you'd use on power tools should be fine. And this can come in a good thick insulating sleeve, which hi-fi, car-fi cables often do not.

Or am I wrong?

That may work as well.

Note that the gauges you guys across the pond from us use tend to be pretty small though since you are 230/240 volt.

• Members

Gary, what wire guage works?

I have some 18guage home audio speaker cable, I wonder if I can just solder 1/4" at the ends and use that??

I'm wondering if that Soundtech PMX10SD has 1/4" speaker outputs, or is it strictly Speakon speaker outputs? I think it probably does have 1/4" speaker outputs, possibly right below the Speakon jacks. I suspect you've already checked, but I'm just bringing this up in-case you haven't received the mixer yet.

• Members

It's a simple case of Gauge:

Need 10 - 16 for speaker cable and most instrument cable is 20. The amount of current and voltage is much higher for a speaker cable than an instrument cable and this why a larger gauge is needed..

• Members

That may work as well.

Note that the gauges you guys across the pond from us use tend to be pretty small though since you are 230/240 volt.

I'm currently using power cable of an old electric lawn mower (only two strand power cable I could get hold of - and it's a lot of length), it's thicker wire than any of the actual speaker cable i see around and that's on 240 volt.

Archived