Pro Co stage snake?

• Members

I'm in the market for a 16 x 4 100' stage snake, and I came across this brand on ebay for a killer price. Is Pro Co any good? I've been using an 8 x 4 50' OSP snake, and although it's never given me any trouble I need to upgrade. I found a 100' Hosa 16 x 4 snake for about $220 on ebay, and I debated buying that one, but if the Pro Co is acceptable I would rather go with it (it hasn't even reached $200 yet). What do you think?

• Members

Pro Co is a great company. I doubt if they would put their name on anything that didn't have a good quality to it. I would say that more of their reputaiton is about quality and inovation than about low cost. I know nothing of the particular snake of course, or even of their snakes in general. But if I had to reach into a bag and grab something... if I came out with something that said "Pro Co" on it, I would be glad.

• CMS Author

I'm in the market for a 16 x 4 100' stage snake, and I came across this brand on ebay for a killer price. Is Pro Co any good? I've been using an 8 x 4 50' OSP snake, and although it's never given me any trouble I need to upgrade. I found a 100' Hosa 16 x 4 snake for about $220 on ebay, and I debated buying that one, but if the Pro Co is acceptable I would rather go with it (it hasn't even reached $200 yet). What do you think?

ProCo isn't bad. Definitely better than the crap I see on eBay all the time. If it stays at $200 it's probably a good deal.

Have a look here: www.audiopile.net. These are known good snakes for a fair price, and you'll get good service from Mark. Compare the ProCo features to what the EWI snakes offer to help you decide whether or not to buy.

I would seriously consider two things...get a longer snake, and get one with 8 returns. It's more to carry and more money, but it's a real bitch to wind up 20 feet or two channels short.

• Members

In the cabling hierarchy, IMHO Proco is just barely under Whirlwind. They also make various DI type/sized items including a "cough drop" floor mic cut off switch. I have a 6x50 Proco Helix snake that I bought used off eBay. Looks well worn, all original and never a problem. Unlike my Whirlwind Medusas, both of which were VERY old, VERY used and required repairs. That said, they were well worth repairing and are my main snakes. ;>)

There were a few import snakes sold under the Proco name that had molded strain reliefs. The better ones (USA made) have the Kellums type (interbraided steel mesh) strain relief.

Boomerweps

Archived