Gig went great!

• Members

Hello everyone! After a 12 hour work shift, I got in the shower saturday morning (after 1/2 hour of fever paced truck loading) and headed over to the lead guitarist's house. When the drummer arrived with his kit stuffed into his car, we headed out to the gig (remember, it's 8 am). Everything went well, load-in was truly uneventful (9:30-10:45 for load and setup, sound check was done at 11:00). The schedule of the morning turned out to be...um.. a little different than what we were told...Pizza arrived at 11:30. SO we broke sooner than expected and for longer than we wanted. It was okay, though. The kids at the "facility" really appreciated the whole thing. The Christian Motorcycle Association holds this function at the "facility" (privacy act prevents disclosure of exactly what this is and what it's called...we can't even let the kids in the pictures). They want us back as the regular band. Apparently they have decided to have a business meeting to vote on actually paying us! Please remember we are a Christian band and don't charge for this ministry, so this is very cool and unexpected. As you might guess from the pics, we are saving all proceeds toward a trailer :lol: . The mix was pretty challenging...especially getting vocal clarity in there. In addition, both guitarists had new pedals, and hadn't really tweaked their lead channel volumes to give correct increase over the rhythm channels, so I had to ride faders while playing congas, more so than usual. The drummer loved the keyboard amp as a monitor...now he's spoiled and wants it all the time (no big deal). All in all, it was great...good volume at pretty low settings, good participation by the audience...free pizza and sodas...good gig!

Here's my little pickup and the subs and my congas...pretty much all it will hold except for a bag of stands.

preconcertload7am004.jpg

Here's my son's passport with some of the more delicate gear

preconcertload7am009.jpg

Here is the band oogling my subs...marveling at the size of them, or is it the lack of space in my pickup?

preconcertload7am010.jpg

Let's see where does this wire go? (that's me, so I get to make fun of the guy).

preconcertload7am024.jpg

almost ready..

preconcertload7am014.jpg

Awesome!

preconcertload7am025.jpg

Total time without sleep...26 hours....gig results...priceless.

God bless!

-Ron

• Members

ron

no amps!! I love it!! I'm assuming bass guitar has his own monitor with bass/vocals?? guitar players monitors with guitars/vocals? PA takes the rest of the load....if you could please clarify...thanks!! And congrats on a great gig!!

• CMS Author

I'm glad the gig went well for you....gyms absolutely suck acoustically, and it's obvious this one had no treatment whatsoever.

BTW....tell the guys to play to the audience, not their feet, fretboard, or snarehead!!:D (I know...it's the toughest thing to get over when you're new)

• Members

Glad to hear everything went so good!

What kind of microphone stand are you using in the final picture? Looks like a boom with a little bend in it. Kinda cool, I'd like to pick up a few for random situations, they might be useful to have in the toolbox.

• Members

The bass player has his little 10 inch monitor (kustom, actually) and it has guitar and vocals only. Our subs absolutely rock and he has no problem whatsoever hearing himself. Yesterday he was a little overwhelmed by guitar and vocals, since we don't have a separate monitor mix for him yet (need one more amp). The guitarists share the behringer b215, and it cranks, too. Those two monitors flood the stage with enough volume for me to use them too. The monitor mix only contains guitar/vocals. The drummer uses a house mix fed by the control room out to a keyboard amp. He can eq it to his own liking for more guitar, etc. We may add the bass player's monitor to that signal path. Congas are mixed with just a little sub, and mains. Bass is mostly sub, just a little mains...drums are about half and half subs/mains (see overhead condensor mike). Everything is line in to the mixer off the guitar pedals. The bass player uses a compression pedal and some other thing he likes the sound of. Lead guitar is line 6 pod pro xt live...if that's the right name..it's the bigone. Second lead guitar is using digitech rp80. They switch off on rhythm and lead, as well as lead and backround vocals. I sing background vocals except on my own material, where I sing lead and play either an acoustic or electric guitar. I play mandolin on other acoustic numbers and congas/percussion toys on any where I don't play one of those other three things. Our drummer sings one lead vocal and a couple of background ones for a four part harmony.

All the stands are normal...must be a camera angle....but a gooseneck would do what you're referring to.

The kids were seated on the floor and on mats in front of us during the majority of the concert. We all play with heads dropped when one of us is singing a solo section (it's a humility thing, possibly a little different than the standard Christian rock fare)...Chris is on mic in that pic....he's looking at the kids. During instrumentals is where we all go nuts. I'll try to find some pics of us singing the three part stuff, or doing an instrumental breakdown. It's pretty common for the lead guitarist to be over by me while we jam out (we might need a little training on photographing the band, since we don't do it..LOL...thanks for the input). These aren't my pics so they are a little scattered around and hard to find.

On a few of our songs, I just clap over my head to stir up the crowd...our photographer (bass player's wife) might get a little carried away clapping instead of snapping.

Thanks for the replies...Craigv, the band is newly formed (about 1 1/2 months in this new group configuration) and does have a problem with the music stand issue. It is being rigorously addresses addressed and should be weeded out by the 30th. I don't use music anymore...The guitarists are memorizing the current set (our second set of 18 songs in only 1 1/2 months). My stand holds my mixer to submix my percussion setup. It does seem like a lot of pics are like that...Do you think the music stands cause this? I do, and have raised the issue to a higher level so they'll work on it. The energy is usually pretty good, but I agree...we need to work on this big time. A picture IS worth a thousand words. Thanks for the observation.

God bless!

-Ron

Archived