Sonic Subs: yay or nay?

• Members

Alrite, there is a guy who lives about an hour from me who is selling a pair of Sonic subs... when I talked to him on his cell, he didn't have the model #'s on hand becuz he was outta town, but he said that I could come check them out when he got back in town... from the picture he sent me, they appear to be the upper-most Sonic subs in this picture (the one stacked on the other sub):

subs-1.gif

His pic:

01010101020601040520070607e4f925eb9aa5df

Are the Sonic's good subwoofers? I know tlbonehead backs up the E-scoops all the time, but what about these? The guy I'm buying them from said he used to live near the headquarters and bought these specific subs because they were the best sounding... What do ya guys think... Are they worth $500/pr?

If they are I'm gonna jump on the offer I think...

All help is appreciated! Thanks guys! :thu:

• Members

Are you out to make money as a DJ?

If you want to make money, get a brand that everyone has heard of like JBL.

If some one decides to book you becasue of your speakers, they are more likely to do it based on brand than on anything else.

• Members

Are you out to make money as a DJ?

If you want to make money, get a brand that everyone has heard of like JBL.

If some one decides to book you becasue of your speakers, they are more likely to do it based on brand than on anything else.

I'm more concerned about sound quality and performance than on brand name... for all I care I'll take the name tags off the front of the subs... my tops all flash the Yamaha tag in big gold letters, so most of my customers realize I have quality equipment already... but most of my customers this far haven't even looked at my equipment, but rather evaluated me on my performance and effectiveness as a DJ... this is how I would rather it be than to be chosen or brought back because of my equipment... hell thus far I have rented subs that flashed a big white tag on the front that reads "FSM" which stands for "Full Score Music", the place where I rent them from because they are home-made subs... and none of my customers cared at all... they just cared if I did a good job or not and if I was better than the last guy who DJed there... so really all I care about is the performance of my equipment, not brand names...

So on that note, do these subs look like a good deal?

I can't find any info on them tho... does anyone know the model # of those top subs?

• Members

I guess their site does not have that particular sub featured right now.

I found that all the others have this driver though.

http://www.sonicspeaker.com/18inch.htm

Appears to be a good driver.

I have always heard good things about Sonic stuff. Good performance~!

I have some EV subs for sale that are similiar in construction, and they sound very good.

Worth a listen...go hook 'em up and push them a bit, and you will know if you want them or not.

• Members

I guess their site does not have that particular sub featured right now.

I found that all the others have this driver though.

Appears to be a good driver.

I have always heard good things about Sonic stuff. Good performance~!

I have some EV subs for sale that are similiar in construction, and they sound very good.

Thanks for that link! And that's good to know others have similar subs and are happy with them!

Worth a listen...go hook 'em up and push them a bit, and you will know if you want them or not!

And this is what I think I will do!

Thanks for the advice!

• Members
I'm more concerned about sound quality and performance than on brand name... for all I care I'll take the name tags off the front of the subs... my tops all flash the Yamaha tag in big gold letters, so most of my customers realize I have quality equipment already... but most of my customers this far haven't even looked at my equipment, but rather evaluated me on my performance and effectiveness as a DJ... this is how I would rather it be than to be chosen or brought back because of my equipment... hell thus far I have rented subs that flashed a big white tag on the front that reads "FSM" which stands for "Full Score Music", the place where I rent them from because they are home-made subs... and none of my customers cared at all... they just cared if I did a good job or not and if I was better than the last guy who DJed there... so really all I care about is the performance of my equipment, not brand names...

So on that note, do these subs look like a good deal?

I can't find any info on them tho... does anyone know the model # of those top subs?

Is it the DJX1800? (The vent is horn-loaded) They are similar to the Yorkie LS800 and are near copies of the early E-V T18. I had those before I got my 18-e boxes. Pretty decent in multiples of two or more/side, but there was a definite difference when going to my e-scoops. Sonic does make a super solid box. The 1800s and my current ones are all baltic birch,.

• Members

Is it the DJX1800? (The vent is horn-loaded) They are similar to the Yorkie LS800 and are near copies of the early E-V T18. I had those before I got my 18-e boxes. Pretty decent in multiples of two or more/side, but there was a definite difference when going to my e-scoops. Sonic does make a super solid box. The 1800s and my current ones are all baltic birch,.

Alrite I just talked to the guy and here is the info he gave me about the subs:

Model: DJX1510 (15" Woofer)

Installed Woofer: SCF400 (15" 4ohm driver)

Do these sound like good subs to you guys?

Thanks guys for all your help!

• Members

Also, based on the new info about the Sonic subs, which option sound like a better deal:

1) The 2 Sonic DJX-1510 Subs @ $500/pr

2) 1 JBL M-Pro 418 Subwoofer @ $450/each

There are 2 different guys around me selling those subs, and I don't know which would be better, especially now that I know the Sonics are probably pretty good boxes...

Which sounds better?

• Members

I can tell you for sure the JBLMpro 418 is a very good subwoofer.

Really good kick etc.

We use a pair of them with our rock band.

This is exactly the kind of feed-back I need! Thanks for sharing your experience! :thu:

What are you planning on using to power the subs you get.

We power them with a QSC RMX 1450 bridged - 1400 watts

Well, I have a RMX-2450 amplifier, so for smaller shows I will probably run 2 of my Yamaha Club 15's off of channel 1 and the the sub(s) off of channel 2... Although the Sonic subs do have built in crossovers in them, so I might just run the system in stereo with 1 top and 1 sub per channel... which is a better option? ... And for bigger shows I'll run all 4 of my Yamaha Club 15's off of my RMX-2450 and use a RMX-1450 for sub duty...

Does that sound good?

• Members

Even though the Sonic subs are only 15" subs, I am liking them because they have high efficiency, 4 ohm woofers, and are pretty small and compact compared to the 18" subs...

I think I am definately going to have to go hear these!

• Members

If I remember correctly, the MP-418 is about 2x2x2.5, about 65lb. It has the JBL 2241G 4-ohm driver, which is the same as used in the SR4718X. They sold new for about $650.

Thanks for the info Craig! But were all of the MP-418 subs 4 ohm drivers? I thought JBL made both 8 ohm and 4 ohm versions of the MP-418, but I'm not sure...

• Members

Which option sound like a better deal:

There are 2 different guys around me selling those subs, and I don't know which would be better, especially now that I know the Sonics are probably pretty good boxes...

Which sounds better?

• Members
Which option sound like a better deal:

Which sounds better?

Unless those Sonics are just like new that price is a little steep.

• Members
Oh really? How much did those subs cost originally? I don't want to overpay...

Depends on their age. The last ones made could have probably been bought for about $350-375. My 18e subs cost me $447 each. The 18" version of the one you are looking at was about $399 at that time. I had some of the 18" model and I paid $900 for four of them. I sold them for $200 each when I bought my 18e subs.

• CMS Author

Thanks for the info Craig! But were all of the MP-418 subs 4 ohm drivers? I thought JBL made both 8 ohm and 4 ohm versions of the MP-418, but I'm not sure...

Far as I know, there's only one model #, MP-418S, and it's a 4-ohm guy.

FWIW, now that TLB's chimed in about the price on the Sonics, IMO both are too pricey. I'd be hard-pressed to pay more than half of retail for a used, out-of-production sub. They're a bitch to sell, so offer him half and see how that goes.

• Members

Far as I know, there's only one model #, MP-418S, and it's a 4-ohm guy.

FWIW, now that TLB's chimed in about the price on the Sonics, IMO both are too pricey. I'd be hard-pressed to pay more than half of retail for a used, out-of-production sub. They're a bitch to sell, so offer him half and see how that goes.

That's what I think I am going to do... the guy with the 2 Sonic subs seems like he is willing to bargain because he is trying to get rid of them... but the guy with the JBL has stated that he is firm with his asking price of $450, and that if he does not get that locally, he is going to put the sub on eBay for that amount... idk but it seems like I may have better luck with the Sonic guy...

Archived