What amp for highs on a biamp'd system?

• Members

What is a light weight, high quality amplifier that has power appropriate for the high freq. driver for a cabinet?

I notice most amps have way more power than necessary. Most horns are happy with 100W - 200W but most amps in series that I like are more power than that (unless they're multi channel, which isn't really what I'm looking for).

What would you recommend?

• Members

Budget?

I'm using a Crown XTi and it seems like the 1000 would be perfect for highs.

275W - 8 ohm Stereo (per channel)

500W - 4 ohm Stereo (per channel)

700W - 2 ohm Stereo (per channel)

1,000W - 8 ohm Bridge-Mono

1,400W - 4 ohm Bridge-Mono

Runs about $500 bucks and weighs 16 pounds or so. Do note that there's a discussion thread about this exact amp going on right now with regards to the on-screen DSP settings, internal crossover, etc.

• Members
What is a light weight, high quality amplifier that has power appropriate for the high freq. driver for a cabinet?

I notice most amps have way more power than necessary. Most horns are happy with 100W - 200W but most amps in series that I like are more power than that (unless they're multi channel, which isn't really what I'm looking for).

What would you recommend?

Depends on the horn and the rest of the cab. 1", 2" exit? Just one horn per amp channel? The little single space ART power amps might be worth a look.

Archived