Got my MRX/PRX stuff today

• Members

Wow. I am impressed. We went from a system that was 2 EON15G2s and 2 JRX118s to 2 PRX512Ms and 2 MRX518s. What a difference. Everything is much clearer and much louder (just for the test). The subs are incredible with a Crown K1. You feel it in your chest and in your feet (and I was on a concrete floor). The PRXs are much cleaner in the mids and a lot more powerful that I thought they would be. I'll probably keep the EONs for sidefills if we ever need them. I'm very happy. Thinking about adding some more PRX512s to the mix.....

• Members

Thanks for the thoughts.

I've narrowed my sub search down to the MRX-series 18 inch sub or the LS800P. Problem is, I can probably only go a single sub right now due to budget. So I'm stuck due to financial considerations either buying the MRX-series and an amp and waiting to buy the second or picking up a single LS800P. I'm glad you have had good experiences with the MRX 18-inch unit. How much power does the K1 put into them to get that great sound (Google, Crown's site, etc... all just say that the model is discontinued)? Do you put bass directly into the PA?

How is the weight on these to carry? Are they bulky? I love that the LS800P comes with casters and handles. Anyway, I'd love to hear some reports from a gig with bass & kick put into them. basicly my choices are two MRX-series subs for $1200 with a used RMX-series amp to bridge into them, a single MRX-series sub and a suitable amp to eventually run in stereo (PLX probably) but it would be one-MRX for a while, or a single LS800P for around $1100. Any other suggestions in the $1000-1500 range would be awesome. The tops will sometimes be Yorkie Elite 15s and sometimes Mackie SRM450s, and I use a Peavey 23XO active in 2-way stereo mode to externally cross-over my main signal. Usual bar band gigs sometimes, but mainly sorority/fraternity parties (lots of unis where i live).

Sorry to hijack your thread a bit with my question, but I'd love to hear more about your experience with the MRX subs whenever you get a chance.

Best,

John

• Members

Thanks for the thoughts.

I've narrowed my sub search down to the MRX-series 18 inch sub or the LS800P. Problem is, I can probably only go a single sub right now due to budget. So I'm stuck due to financial considerations either buying the MRX-series and an amp and waiting to buy the second or picking up a single LS800P. I'm glad you have had good experiences with the MRX 18-inch unit. How much power does the K1 put into them to get that great sound (Google, Crown's site, etc... all just say that the model is discontinued)? Do you put bass directly into the PA?

How is the weight on these to carry? Are they bulky? I love that the LS800P comes with casters and handles. Anyway, I'd love to hear some reports from a gig with bass & kick put into them. basicly my choices are two MRX-series subs for $1200 with a used RMX-series amp to bridge into them, a single MRX-series sub and a suitable amp to eventually run in stereo (PLX probably) but it would be one-MRX for a while, or a single LS800P for around $1100. Any other suggestions in the $1000-1500 range would be awesome. The tops will sometimes be Yorkie Elite 15s and sometimes Mackie SRM450s, and I use a Peavey 23XO active in 2-way stereo mode to externally cross-over my main signal. Usual bar band gigs sometimes, but mainly sorority/fraternity parties (lots of unis where i live).

Sorry to hijack your thread a bit with my question, but I'd love to hear more about your experience with the MRX subs whenever you get a chance.

Best,

John

John

The Yorkville ls800p with the built in amp will reach 134db's for its peak output.

The MRX sub will give you 133db's with (Gulp) 2000 watt input. At a respectable 500 watt input it will give you 127db's. There is a 7 db difference between the subs. The Ls800p is a complete system with the right limiting and power for the driver/enclosure to get the max power from the enclosure.

Now in no way shape or form and I saying to run either box to max every night but if you are starting out with just one and want the best output with less worry about the amp/crossover/limiting etc. look at the ls800p. It has a great track record.

The only other contender would be the QSC HPR181i but it looks like they are not shipping until August now.......

Dookietwo

• Members

The LS800P is definitely the performer here. I use it for my personal system, and get great results. Just one, very loud, very reliable.

There are other factors. The MRX subs sound good, and they're very light 72lbs a peice... half the weight of the yorkies. (but if you need two to get the same results...) They're also much more compact, so if space is limited in your vehicle consider that.

For what you get for the dollar though, my opinion would be towards the Yorkville. Acknowledging the JBL is a very good value, and wins in some very important areas.

• Members

Thanks for the thoughts.

Best,

John

The K1 is a great amp but they are hard to find since they have been discontinued (not sure why). I believe the K1 sends 500 watts per channel to a 4 ohm load.

I do understand that I was coming off a pretty low end system with the EONs and JRXs but that system did sound pretty good. This upgrade will blow the old system away. I believe one MRX and the right amp would be sufficient for a lot of situation. I went with the MRX for the small system because they are light (72 pounds) and really sound great. They are bigger than my JRXs but they weigh less. They have handles but no casters. I was able to lift and move them around very easily. I assume that is because the handles are placed for even distribution of the weight. They were much easier to move than I expected.

For this rig, weight and size made the difference. I also use a Driverack 260 so I can mute each speaker separately. I never pushed the system to clipping and the sound was full and the lows were awesome, even when I muted one of the subs. I haven't used them at a gig yet but I am looking forward to doing just that. If size and weight are a concern, I highly recommend the MRX518. I have never heard the Yorkville subs so I can't comment on sound but they do seem to get good reviews. The 40 pound PRXs are great also.

Archived