Need help buying a used PA system

• Members

I'm in college at the moment and one of the guys from a fairly popular local band here is selling his old PA system, and I'm considering buying it, but know little about PA systems I would like some input from you all.

So here's the run down. For $800 the guy said he would sell me two tall Peavey speakers (not sure what model) and a 4 channel mixer with spring reverb (again, can't remember the make and model). Both are kind of old, he said that they were his dad's when his dad first started (the dad is also a musician).

The guy also had some pedals, an Ibanez analog delay, an Ibanez chorus, and an Aphex acoustic Xciter. Also, he was going to sell me a somewhat used Shure SM58 mic. For the PA and the pedals he said at least a grand.

So what do you all think? I'm not in a band at the moment though I'm sort of close to starting one. Is this a good deal or should I go look somewhere else?

• Members

A lot of guys on this forum ask for a PA that is in the $1000 range. You have found one.

I personally wouldn't buy it until I heard it work. All plugged in like.

If you like the sound of it, then it's a good deal, no?

• Members
I'm in college at the moment and one of the guys from a fairly popular local band here is selling his old PA system, and I'm considering buying it, but know little about PA systems I would like some input from you all.

So here's the run down. For $800 the guy said he would sell me two tall Peavey speakers (not sure what model) and a 4 channel mixer with spring reverb (again, can't remember the make and model). Both are kind of old, he said that they were his dad's when his dad first started (the dad is also a musician).

The guy also had some pedals, an Ibanez analog delay, an Ibanez chorus, and an Aphex acoustic Xciter. Also, he was going to sell me a somewhat used Shure SM58 mic. For the PA and the pedals he said at least a grand.

So what do you all think? I'm not in a band at the moment though I'm sort of close to starting one. Is this a good deal or should I go look somewhere else?

W/o knowing more, it sounds like a horrible deal.

• Members

And without knowing what model numbers of the equipment you are talking about, you could be getting badly burned.

Peavey tall speakers could be the old Peavey version of Shure Vocalmaster columns.. yuk.

You can get a really nice PA for $800 using new or newer used equipment.

I would check out your local Craigslist and see what is out there.

• Members

I'll pile on here. An old PA with old drivers and only 4 channel mixer with "spring" reverb is worth all of about $200-300. Much better deals are out there all the time for newer and better equipment with more channels, clarity and SPL. Pass on this one so your not stuck holding a big anchor.

• Members

A 4 channel powered mixer that "dad used when starting out" and "spring reverb" - Sounds like early 80's at best. Lucky if it's 100W at 8 ohms and likely mono. Street on a powered mixer like that is maybe $75 -$100 (bought similar for $90 and sold 5 yrs later for $100). Similarly aged speakers, without knowing more about them, maybe $100 each if in OK shape. Tell the banker "No Deal"!

• Members

Okay so just a little update on the situation. I saw the guy yesterday to pick some other stuff up from him and I took a look at the PA system again so I could write down all the model numbers and stuff. I told him I thought I might pass on it since he wanted $800 and he said "well if thats too much we could do like $500 or $600." So, since he was so willing to drop the price that fast I think he just really doesn't want to have to take the thing with him when he moves out of his apartment. Though also he said he wasn't really sure what it was worth. Anyway, here is a list of the stuff:

Sunn Alpha Four mixer:

picture053du7.th.jpgpicture052ec4.th.jpg

4 channel, only has bass and treble knobs (no mid control), on the back the speaker jacks say 4ohms 100W. I found it listed on Ebay for anywhere ranging from $10 + shipping to it selling for $50

I also found an Alpha Six selling for $10 + shipping.

Peavey 1210TS Column speakers (2):

picture054vg4.th.jpgpicture050am4.th.jpg

I couldn't find anything online about these speakers so any info that any of you have would be appreciated. On the back it has 2 jacks (if I remember correctly), what is the difference between those two?

Shure SM58 mic:

Practically new, he's only used it a few times he said and still had the box that musician's friend shipped it in along with the receipt (same for the next 3 pedals). On Ebay these seem to be going from $40 to $80 used and about $80 to $100 new.

Ibanez AD9 delay:

The one he has is the reissue, but it looks like people are selling them all for between $75 and $100.

Ibanez CS9 chorus

Again, a reissue, on Ebay it looks like $40 + shipping.

Aphex Acoustic Xciter

Ebay has it going for $79.

He also said he'd throw in a mic stand, some pedal couplers, and some cables.

So what do you all think of the gear and about pricing it?

• Members

If the pedals are of some use to you as a guitarist then I would possibly offer $200-250 for the lot.

If you are only after a PA then it won't really be worth much to you at all. I'd maybe offer $150 including the sm58 but not the guitar pedals and even then what you would have would only really be usful for rehearsals.

• Members

What are your plans for the gear? This gear really isn't that great but it could work for playing music at parties. I don't think you would ever use these in a band situation but if you want the gear and realize it's limitations I'd offer $250 but don't go over $300.

• Members

What are your plans for the gear? This gear really isn't that great but it could work for playing music at parties. I don't think you would ever use these in a band situation but if you want the gear and realize it's limitations I'd offer $250 but don't go over $300.

Well I was thinking of doing two things with it. 1) I'd use it to practice with my friends and potentially use it for shows if we ever manage to find a drummer. 2) I'd have it set up in our living room to use during parties.

What are the limitations of this pa? Is it not going to sound good, or is it just limited because it only has 4 channels?

Also, before I met this guy I was thinking about buying a Behringer Xenyx mixer and Shure mic to do some recording with through my computer. Would this mixer work if I ran it into my computer? I think it has a line out, it says effects line out but I don't see an effects line in return.

• Members

How about offering him half of the ebay combined prices (if those are actual bids) and keep what you need and put the rest on ebay? This would help him move the equipment, and you might find uses for some of it once you have full access to it. It would certainly be an adequate apartment party system.

God bless!

-Ron

• Members

Link,

Please, please take our advice and give up on this PA. It's a complete waste of anything more than $100 IMO. Here are it's limitations:

100W @ 4ohm amp. Meaning each speaker will see 50W. VERY weak power.

OLD Sunn mixer: Only 4 channels, each with 1/4" inputs (Yuck!). No real "mixing" capability other than "volume", "bass", "treble" and "reverb" (Blech), and who knows how reliable it is. I would not want to trust it. You can get a MUCH more robust and reliable 6-8 channel mixer with FX for $150 or so (check out Peavey XR600C - XR600G series used on eBay)

Speakers: Hmm.. 4 feet high, heavy, cheap, ~50W speakers with old cones and most likely aweful efficiency. Try getting these over a band with that low powered mixer with any clarity. Won't happen. You can buy a pair of Peavey PR12's or equivalant (do a search) for $200 used all day

And to top it off, somebody else's sweat and spit drenched microphone. YUM!! Try the Samson S11 (?) or equiv new.

If you like the pedals, they may be of service, but again, I repeat, do not saddle yourself with having to load, haul and battle this old boat anchor!! Spend $400 or so on the items I listed above (or equiv) and you'll be SO much better off!

• Members

Link,

Please, please take our advice and give up on this PA. It's a complete waste of anything more than $100 IMO. Here are it's limitations:

100W @ 4ohm amp. Meaning each speaker will see 50W. VERY weak power.

OLD Sunn mixer: Only 4 channels, each with 1/4" inputs (Yuck!). No real "mixing" capability other than "volume", "bass", "treble" and "reverb" (Blech), and who knows how reliable it is. I would not want to trust it. You can get a MUCH more robust and reliable 6-8 channel mixer with FX for $150 or so (check out Peavey XR600C - XR600G series used on eBay)

Speakers: Hmm.. 4 feet high, heavy, cheap, ~50W speakers with old cones and most likely aweful efficiency. Try getting these over a band with that low powered mixer with any clarity. Won't happen. You can buy a pair of Peavey PR12's or equivalant (do a search) for $200 used all day

And to top it off, somebody else's sweat and spit drenched microphone. YUM!! Try the Samson S11 (?) or equiv new.

If you like the pedals, they may be of service, but again, I repeat, do not saddle yourself with having to load, haul and battle this old boat anchor!! Spend $400 or so on the items I listed above (or equiv) and you'll be SO much better off!

What he said, give it a pass and get newer better for the same or less $$$.

Although I got a good chuckle when I saw your pic. I'm pretty sure those are the same speakers my wife's band uses for their vocal PA in their small rehersal space. They have an equally old 8 channel peavey mixer running them. They work for that, but they are big and heavy and I wouldn't want to listen ti them doing much more. The lead singer picked them up back when she was doing the singer songwriter thing in Nashville in the early 80's which gives you some notion of how cutting edge that gear is now.

Where are you located? I'm in Utah and we're going to be selling our JBL Eon 15G2's and I figure they are worth about $650 per pair. Something like that will get you started on a PA with real power that will do alot more for you than that pile of odds and ends.

Good luck, Winston

• 8 years later...
  • Members

I know this is an old post but, for anyone else looking at these type of speakers... The speakers are vintage and are worth more than what you're all giving for value. I own and have used these speakers in a live application with a more powerful amplifier and a 10 channel mixer with an external vocal effect rack unit and the system did great for small to mid sized (400max cap) clubs. All speakers and drivers working in both towers. To the right buyer these speakers are pretty valuable and for a band starting out , they are more than sufficient. $800 IMO is very fair as long as it comes with the power and the mixer or a combo powered mixer. 100w is not enough to drive these speakers though. To pick up a club worthy PA for less than that, good luck....

Archived