which is a better way to go for monitoring?

• Members

Looking to monitor my podxt live for stage..currently just run it straight through the PA but now looking for some stage volume so I decided to go with a powered monitor/keyboard amp (not sure yet). What would be the best solution to run out of my pod:

1. Y-cable from the mono (L) output and send one Y to the board & the other to the powered monitor

or

2. just use both outputs (L) & ® from the pod..send one to the board and one to the monitor (or would this create phase issues?)

note****

I only have 2 aux mixes on my board so until I upgrade to a better board & more aux mixes so i can send one to this monitor I need a temp fix

thanks for the help!!

• CMS Author

Looking to monitor my podxt live for stage..currently just run it straight through the PA but now looking for some stage volume so I decided to go with a powered monitor/keyboard amp (not sure yet). What would be the best solution to run out of my pod:

1. Y-cable from the mono (L) output and send one Y to the board & the other to the powered monitor

or

2. just use both outputs (L) & (R) from the pod..send one to the board and one to the monitor (or would this create phase issues?)

note****

I only have 2 aux mixes on my board so until I upgrade to a better board & more aux mixes so i can send one to this monitor I need a temp fix

thanks for the help!!

Your question reveals a serious flaw with an expensive device that's supposedly designed for live use....the lack of balanced outputs. FWIW, the Boss GT's (6 and 8, bass and guitar) offer XLR L-R, with a DI. I can't imagine how Line 6 left this out.

At any rate, you need to put a DI on the output, may as well use the L/mono out. Try to get a DI that's got an XLR balanced output to go to the mixer, and an unbalanced TS (1/4") output for the amp. Leave the POD's rear-panel switch in "amp" position, as the DI expects a hi-impedance signal. If you crap out and can't find a DI with the TS output, just use the POD's R output jack to feed the amp.

• Members

How about putting your pod in one of the existing monitor mixes? How many of you are there? My guitarists have plenty of monitor just using the stage monitor...they are both line in...one is from a digitech unit going unbalanced dirctly to the mixer. The other is using a line 6 pod xt pro live floor board. It has it's own DI. They share a monitor, and Frankly...yesterday I used the monitor slap back off the wall behind us instead of some of the mains in the gym... they had so much monitor. Mixing that with the subs and just a little mains actually gave the best clarity with all the reverb in there.

God bless!

-Ron

• Members

Not to sound like too much of a butt, they do make these things called guitar amps that yeild fabulous esults inthe live and studio world, maybe that would help insteadof chasing the best way to get your unit to work for you... that same company even makes one or two if you are stuck on having all those 'models' of sounds at your fingertip/footswitch.... I'm nt a fan of PODs , and sounds like you will have spent more and been more frustrated by your experience than if you had gone with a small combo amp....

• Members

I'm nt a fan of PODs , and sounds like you will have spent more and been more frustrated by your experience than if you had gone with a small combo amp....

Though I would have to agree with this since a good tube amp is hard to beat, and even harder to emulate, it's all about the situation. We went to in ear monitors, triggered drums and no amps on stage and our sound out front is miles ahead of what it was before. The bad thing about all the amps and monitor wedges is that every microphone on stage, even the more directional ones, picks up all of that mess and sends it along with its own original source to the boards. This makes for a muddy mess out front and a nightmare for the sound tech. One of us is using a POD Pro rack unit and gets some really good sounds. I was never a big believer in modeling but it is getting better all the time if you don't mind spending the money and time. Now of course I am still using my Mesa Mark IV head through a Palmer emulator and getting great results!

As for your original question, I would go with the powered monitor if you need reference sound on stage. The POD units are made to be directly injected so you don't want anything with a preamp section or EQ.

• Members

If you already own one, a small combo amp on a kickback stand works fine. We've been doing it that way for 6+ years. Sure the amp will color the sound a bit, but it's fine for monitoring. I'd certainly give it a go before buying something.

A powered monitor will be a problem in that you'll likely want to adjust tone and volume and won't be able to with the controls on the floor "under" the monitor. You need something that allows you to adjust the controls easily (like above).

• Members

I do have that audiopile DI box and didn't realize I could use it that way...thanks!! I do have a small VOX combo amp (30 watts)...not sure if that will be enough but will try it tonight. I tried the aux mix into one of my monitors last night at practice and the sound was flat (didn't think to EQ it...thats what those 31 band EQ's aux 1 /2 are for in my rack...duh!!)....will retry again and see which I like better. As far as the amp comment...been there ..done that...I have a 1979 marshall stack w/50watt JMP MKII head w/ a $1,000 pedal board & the Vox combo amp...I'm just at a stage where I like show up..plug the pod...know the sound is exactly the same everytime I plug in and I only have to lift my 15lb Pod to the gig...Plus...we do the same as Mshifflett(triggers,bass,guitar all DI) and the sound is VERY clean & manageable especially stage volume.....

• Members

For ease of tone control, you're back to the keyboard amp....also very accurate reproduction of what the pod is doing. Plus it's a pretty good monitor height if you get the right one. As you know, I use one for my drummer's monitor, and for our backup system (with subs and amp) if we ever lost an amp, or mixer, or speaker, or any combo. Keyboard amps are the best kept secret in my opinion...if you really want a versatile peice of equipment that has its own stereo mixer, DI outs for another board, effects, cd input, subwoofer output (second amp required), 1/4" line outs and makes a great practice pa too. Lots of features in one box..and lots of choices as to manufacturers, power output, pricing, and weight. Very utilitarian...I think all bands should have one, even without a keyboard player.

• Members

Keyboard amps are a much better choice than a guitar combo amp. You will end up adjusting your POD for the amplifier and not the house if you are not careful, even though the combo has EQ adjustments. To me it makes more sense to have something with a totally flat EQ that gives you a better representation of what is coming out of the PA.

• Members

Keyboard amps are a much better choice than a guitar combo amp. You will end up adjusting your POD for the amplifier and not the house if you are not careful, even though the combo has EQ adjustments. To me it makes more sense to have something with a totally flat EQ that gives you a better representation of what is coming out of the PA.

Well sure, but the amp is FREE to try because he owns it. My point is simply that you don't have to go drop $500 on an keyboard amp and that this will work. Frankly, in the real world (small stage in a crowded bar) you're likely not going to notice the difference. Even if you can, it comes down to justifying if it's worth the cash for an incrementally more exact monitor

• Members

Well sure, but the amp is FREE to try because he owns it. My point is simply that you don't have to go drop $500 on an keyboard amp and that this will work. Frankly, in the real world (small stage in a crowded bar) you're likely not going to notice the difference. Even if you can, it comes down to justifying if it's worth the cash for an incrementally more exact monitor

Good points for sure. I was not really disagreeing with you, only adding my opinion from going through the exact same thing as a player and on the sound end. :)

Archived