Would like to play recorded sound without a mixer

• Members

I would like to play recorded sound (Laptops, IPod, CD's) without using a mixer.

What would be an ideal setup?

Working backwards ..... subs and cabs into 2 separate amps ..... amps go into a crossover .... crossover goes into an EQ .... the EQ goes into ?????? (what??) and that device has the IPod (or whatever) hooked to it.

What device do I need between the EQ and the IPod?

Does this even make sense?

I am looking to get everything in a 19" config so I can just bolt it to a rack case and keep it closed up when not in use.

I currently have a Yamaha mixer but honestly do not utilize any of its features, other than the RCA inputs.

I would like to have the option of hooking a microphone to the unit ..... if possible.

• Members

An IPOD puts out almost line level, not quite enough to drive a (typical) power amp to full output. There is a custom option, utilizing a 6:1 audio transformer and using it as a voltage step-up device to allow higher output and this will worlk because the IPOD output impedance is very low and the transformer urilizes the low output impedance of the IPOD to provide the necessary current for the voltage transformation. This is a custom device we build and can be different for each application. You can PM me for details and cost.

• Members

As soon as you want to mix a microphone with your laptop/ipod/cd, you need something with a mic preamp and some mixing ability.

If you want to keep it simple, ROLLS has some things that would do exactly what you want.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--RLLMX56C

If you just want to run laptop/ipod/cd into your system, it would go source-eq-crossover-amps-speakers

You will need appropriate cables to go from your source to the eq. What eq do you have? the inputs affect the type of cables you need.

Stv

• Members

I dont have the EQ ... or the crossover ... yet.

I am trying to think it through before I buy.

I originally bought (and still have) a Yamaha EMX512 mixer .... I quickly figured out that the only thing I am using is the RCA inputs and the volume control.

I would like a *good* sounding solution in a 19" configuration so that I can button up and transport everything together.

So ..... I guess I should back up even further .... what would be some of the better solutions to do what I want?

• Members

There are a couple 1or 2 RU mixers available. For the $, I'd just pick up a used Behringer MX602A or UB802 mixer cheap. They use line wart power supplies (PS) but you can come up with a mount for the PS in the rack and the mixers are small enough to fit in a rack drawer (in a 2RU drawer with the PS). Less than $40 shipped which is less than a Rolls minimixer.

I owned an MX802A (4 mic channel, 2 stereo), traded it for plumbing services to a friend. Missed it for simple DJ work and picked up the UB802 on closeout for $36 from MF. The UB802 is the newer MX602 (latest is xynex 802) that has TWO mic channels and 2 stereo channels.

The RCA jacks on the mixers should not be used for music playback since they only a single gain control at best. Use rca to 1/4" TS plug adapters and run those into a normal input channel. Then you can use the channel EQ to sweeten up the playback and if the speakers are quality ones, a standalone graphic EQ is not needed. While I have a full PA setup, for DJing, I just use two CD players, the UB802 mixer and a single power amp into whichever speakers I use. I don't normally take my subs, but have a spare crossover in the amp rack if I do. Normally I pull an amp out and place it with the CD Players in a spare rack.

Boomerweps

Archived