Drum Mic Question

• Members

there are a lot of really great drum mics. hard to know what your goal is at any given time.

i just did three different shows with drums and three different sets of mics for different goals.

1. clipped on bg6.1's, 421's, and atm25

2. clipped on atm25s, beta 52, 57's

3. ONE boom mounted m179 for entire kit

all worked well for the intended purpose.

one constant i have found is that at4041's sound excellent as overheads in almost every situation, but so do other OHmics.

• Members

Okay, I understand that most of you on this forum do not want to talk drums, because there is a drums forum. But, I am will also be posting there also wit this same post. I have come up to the point to where I am wanting to get a set of drum mics for not only live production but also recording situation. I know that it's mostly based on personal reference. What has me frusttrated is that everybody that makes recommendations on certain types of drum mics are running very different systems, IE: mixers, pre-amps, and different sound systems entirely.

From those of you who have possible experimented with drum mics, what would you recommend? I am just looking for a consensus or possible testimonials so that I can give it some thought.

Thanks and as always ROCK ON!!!!

• Members

First of all, we're delighted to talk about drum mics & micing techniques all day. If you ask us about flams or paradiddles our eyes will most likely glaze over.

Second, I found it very difficult to understand exactly what it is you're asking. Your frustration with other recommendation is because how different their system is to yours? What system are you running?

Also:

What is your budget?

What is your kit?

What sound are you looking for?

Do you have.../Are you willing to get... out board gear (comp, gates, etc...)?

What size venues will you play, live?

What quality are you looking for, recording?

If you want fat blanket statements then here:

I like the Audix D-series and Sennheiser E9-series.

You will get recomendations for SM57 mics, which are a universal standard but I find them a little lifeless by comparison and their plastic part will snap and crack if you smack them (which happens). That said, they work just fine in just about any situation so flexibility is nice. Anything else you'd like to know?

• Members

Okay, I understand that most of you on this forum do not want to talk drums, because there is a drums forum. But, I am will also be posting there also wit this same post. I have come up to the point to where I am wanting to get a set of drum mics for not only live production but also recording situation. I know that it's mostly based on personal reference. What has me frusttrated is that everybody that makes recommendations on certain types of drum mics are running very different systems, IE: mixers, pre-amps, and different sound systems entirely.

From those of you who have possible experimented with drum mics, what would you recommend? I am just looking for a consensus or possible testimonials so that I can give it some thought.

Thanks and as always ROCK ON!!!!

I have become a fan of the "Less is more" school of drum micing.

A kick mic, a snare mic and single overhead seems to work just nifty for my live needs and in the studio I simply add a LD mic as a room mic, and another overhead to give me stereo overheads.

I use a D112 on kick, a 57 on the snare and a 58 as an overhead for live use.

In the studio it's a D112 kick mic, a 57 on the snare, stereo small condenser overheads and as I said, a single LD mic placed about a foot and a half in front of the kit off to the left with the mic facing down toward the snare.

• Members

Less is more is more successful than many think. As a drummer and sound guy, I get by often with at most a Beta52A on the kick, 57 on the snare, and an AT4041 overhead. In the studio I'll add a second overhead and maybe some tom mics if the song requires it but just the basic 4 mics will do most scenarios, live or studio.

• Members

Again, it depends on the situation. Outside is totally different, and maybe the band engineer requires mic'ing the entire kit or the act will cancel. If it's in the contract either negotiate uit out in advance or be prepared to provide it.

Archived