Al's LS720P review

• Members

Hello friends,

this weekend I was lucky enough to have a chance to try out Yorkville's new LS720P. I would like to thank the guys at my favorite music store : ''Prom Music'' here in Sudbury for being nice enough to let me take this new powered sub out for a spin. :thu:

The LS720P is a 720 watt powered subwoofer featuring a 15'' neo woofer with 3'' voice coil, XLR as well as 1/4'' ins and outs, adjustable HF rolloff (90-150hz) as well as user selectable frequency boost (45-90hz). This sub is very compact for a 15'' loaded box and weighs in at a comfortable 75lbs.

My test of the LS720P took place in a community center where I was the DJ for a wedding. Hall capacity was around 450 but approx. 300 people were in attendance at the peak of the evening. Even though this hall had a high ceiling, the acoustics were surprisingly good, especially once filled up with people. Once all my equipment was set up, I powered up the system to start sound check. Handling the top end was my pair of NX55Ps. My system and I were on a stage about 4 feet up, so the set up was basically in the centre so as to keep the sound focused on the dancefloor. No stands needed as the NX55Ps' horns were just above everyone's head. The LS720P was positionned dead centre stage with an NX55P approx. 6' to each side. (all speakers were as close to the edge as safely possible so as to lose as little SPL...this was a big hall!) Mixer was a Yamaha MG12 with Sony minidisc players and a Shure mic as the sound sources. EQ on the mixer was Treble +3DB, Mids flat and Bass -6DB to compensate for the NX55Ps' inherent bass boost. (I did not engage the NX55Ps' 100hz rolloff) Let the testing begin! Side note : While trying to match the levels on the NX55Ps and LS720P, I did have to put the volume of the LS720P at the max position to get sufficient bass out of it. :eek: - My LS700P is usually perfect at the 0 position.

My first impression of the LS720P was that although it did sound very good, it was not very hard to get it into limiting once I brought up the volume to a decent level. I was afraid I might not be able to get sufficient low frequency output out of it for this size of hall once the party begun. I am pretty sure when Yorkville states the LS720P is a perfect match for the NX55P, they mean 2 LS720Ps for 2 NX55Ps but anyway, I decided to experiment a little. I moved the sub to the floor and connected it once again to see if there was an improvement. As expected, there was a noticeable improvent and then I started to play with the HF rolloff and frequency boost features. I set everything where it sounded best and.... the sound was now much better.

During the night, I checked on the sub many times and eventually set the boost at 65-70hz where it sounded nice and full without sacrificing too much headroom - which is what happens if you set the boost at 45hz.... Since my family was there, I often had a chance to go and dance into the crowd and hear what they were hearing. It was nice. :) I'm still amazed at those NX55Ps...for their size, they really can put out some amazing loud and clear (but enjoyable) SPLs! I'm happy I moved the 720P to the floor and, to be honest, it really did sound good and was able to produce some very decent, hard hitting bass. I can imagine a pair would be awesome. :love:

LS720P vs. LS700P

Now, this afternoon, back at home, my wife was nice enough to let me set up both subs for a quick shootout. :)

Nothing really too technical, since I don't have the equipment to measure but I let my ears and body be the judge. First off, I would have to say that these two subs can really rattle a living room. ;) Oh my. It didn't take long to figure out what the differences between the subs were. One key song was Whoomp there it is by Tag team. This song basically has three notes. Three low, tummy tickling notes. The volume on both subs was turned up until the limiting would flash on the LS720P and the sound didn't get any louder on the LS700P (since it has no limit indicator) and then I would stand in front and back of both subs at similar positions and feel their earth shaking abilities...

From what I could hear and feel, the LS720P did seem more accurate and did seem to go a little lower in it's response. The LS700P rattled a bit more and there was an annoying sound coming from the 1/4'' jacks in the back, but man did it hit hard... Especially at certain frequencies, particularly one note in Whoomp there it is - most likely due to it's bandpass design. I tried a few songs and basically both subs rocked but the LS700P always seemed to be able to rock a little louder...

So, I guess it depends what you are looking for... The XLR ins and outs of the LS720P as well as it's boost feature, better accuracy and lower weight OR the LS700P's cool dual 10'' design and higher SPL capability. Would I trade my LS700P for a new LS720P? Not right away, but if I were to get tons of gigs and be able to afford a pair..... very likely!

Thanks for reading...feel free if you have any questions! Al :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hey Al thanx for the review so sounds like your not that impressed wouldn't trade off right away IMO the LS7000P is tough SOB to beat I guess if you need lower end the LS720P might be the ticket guess if I was hosting a death metal match a pair of these would do the job since most detuned metal bands tune down to C# might work whadda think?

• Members

Thanks a bunch Al! I have been looking at both of those and that is the hands on comparo stuff I was looking for. Sounds like the 700 might still be the better option if only using one and max volume was your concern. Otherwise, the 720 sounds like a winner.

I really like the lighter weight of the 720 so am now officially putting it on my short list. Probably won't be able to pull trigger for awhile yet as they are not cheap but when I do, is there a smoking deal price wise out there? I doubt I would find a used 720 since it is still pretty new so finding a low price deal on a new one would be nice.

Again, thanks so much for that review. Extremely helpful to have someone compare them both side by side. Oh and good to hear the 700 still is an outstanding option because I do see those used from time to time. Maybe for the right deal, I can handle that extra 20 pounds?

• Members

hey Al thanx for the review so sounds like your not that impressed wouldn't trade off right away IMO the LS7000P is tough SOB to beat I guess if you need lower end the LS720P might be the ticket guess if I was hosting a death metal match a pair of these would do the job since most detuned metal bands tune down to C# might work whadda think?

I was impressed about the fact that such a compact system could fill such a huge hall with nice, well balanced sound. Although the 720P is not quite as loud as the 700P, many people will prefer the lighter weight and XLR connections. For my purposes as a DJ playing pre-recorded music, one 720P was just enough for this occasion. It kept up with the NX55Ps but just barely... Considering the size of the hall, I have to say that by the end of the night I was still very happy with the sub's performance. It's placement right in front of the stage (see my avatar) probably helped increase the bass response (as well as the coupling to the floor) but overall I think this sub is excellent. I'm not sure how it would work for a band though... I would suggest 2 of them as a minimum which is the same as I would recommend with the LS700P. I've used my LS700P with a live band and although it added some thump, two of them close-coupled would yield a noticeable improvement. Al

• Members

Thanks a bunch Al! I have been looking at both of those and that is the hands on comparo stuff I was looking for. Sounds like the 700 might still be the better option if only using one and max volume was your concern. Otherwise, the 720 sounds like a winner.

I really like the lighter weight of the 720 so am now officially putting it on my short list. Probably won't be able to pull trigger for awhile yet as they are not cheap but when I do, is there a smoking deal price wise out there? I doubt I would find a used 720 since it is still pretty new so finding a low price deal on a new one would be nice.

Again, thanks so much for that review. Extremely helpful to have someone compare them both side by side. Oh and good to hear the 700 still is an outstanding option because I do see those used from time to time. Maybe for the right deal, I can handle that extra 20 pounds?

The dimensions of both subs are great. Although the 700 is much wider and a little deeper, it's not as tall, so if you've got a small van (like myself) you can add some boxes on top of it... I like the boost feature on the 720...(although it might be good to be able to select if you want it on or off) Depending on the type of music and wether if it's live or pre-recorded music, the user can add a little more oomph at the frequency that makes the bigger impact. (a kick drum might have a bigger impact if you set the boost at 90 hz for example) :thu: Al

• Members

Thanks for the review Al, ever get a chance to hear the powered QSC subs?

One more for ya, have you ever had a chance to weigh the NX 720 sub?

Thanks, Bob

We unfortuantely don't have a dealer that stocks QSC in the area but I hope to one day have a chance to try those new powered tops and subs. As for the NX720P, it is identical to the LS720P except that instead of carpet covering, it has a black ultrathane coating. This makes it a few pounds heavier. It is also more expensive... 100$ more than the carpet version I believe. I found the LS720P a little easier to carry (a little less awkward) than the LS700P. 75lbs is still pretty heavy though. The little rubber feet on the 720P are very good at keeping this sub in place - you really have to lift it up completely to be able to move it. I remember when I had a pair of Pulse PL110Ps powered subs, they always moved a few inches as the night went by and I'd have to put them back in place... Al

• Members

the LS7000P is tough SOB to beat I guess if you need lower end the LS720P might be the ticket ?

The LS720P did seem to go a little lower... you can make it sound sweeter/deeper by adjusting the frequency boost in the 45-55hz range which is a nice feature but then you get into limiting a little quicker. It was smoother in it's response overall though than the 700P. But the 700P was loud! Especially when it hit certain notes...Really a tough call between the two. :confused: Al

• Members

Al,

Thanks for the excellent review! Our band is the new owners of 2 NX55P and 2 LS-720P. Our first gig with the system will at the end of September and I cant wait to hear it in action!

When we tested the system at the store we noted that the tech always set the sub higher than the NX55P, even with 2 subs. Both the tops and the subs sound great together, the bass never gets flabby. The mids and highs are clear and smooth.

I also will be running this with a driverack PA. Last week I was fooling around with the gain structure of the system, basically I ran pink noise through the mixer, driverack and speakers until I started getting into the limiting(yellow light) of each speaker. The volume setting ended up; for the NX55's was at 9:30 whereas for the LS720P 2:30. So way different.

The crossover was set for 100Hz and bass boost mid way on the subs, the tops had the low cut activated.

It was plenty loud! I was suprised the limiting started so early on the tops! Do you think the signal I am feeding to the system to the speakers is too hot?

Would you happen to know how far you can run into the yellow before sound quality is affected?

• Members

Hey Al,

I just ordered a LS700P from Audiopyle sound out of the Napa Valley. Should be here pretty soon. I was wondering what you use for a crossover? Do you use an external, or do you rely on crossovers in the subs/tops?

Since the NX55Ps have a 100hz cutoff button and the LS700P's filter can be set at 100hz, this is how I sometimes choose to run the system. However, I will often keep the NX55Ps full range when using my LS700P but simply reduce the low frequency (bass) knob on my mixer -6DB to take some strain off the 55s. My set up is extremely simple and since the NX55Ps don't need any EQ (except bass reduction) to sound amazing with quality pre-recorded music, the only EQ I use is the 3 band on my Yamaha MG12 mixer (or PV10). The only songs that usually make the limit light on the NX55Ps light up are Thunderstruck (something about the kick drum) and occasionnally Footloose and certain bass heavy dance songs. Sound for a band is not so simple with many things usually in the signal path between the instruments and speakers - EQs, compressors etc... Speakers and amps do work harder in a live sound setting where peaks and transients are more frequent and more demanding and high levels of sound are often needed to be heard over the backline... Al - Party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

Al,

It was plenty loud! I was suprised the limiting started so early on the tops! Do you think the signal I am feeding to the system to the speakers is too hot?

Would you happen to know how far you can run into the yellow before sound quality is affected?

Hi Stefanoa,

Congratulations on your new system. :thu: First question : what are you sending to the speakers? Vocals, bass, drums? It is important to watch the clip lights on your individual mixer channels to make sure the signal isn't clipped before reaching the speakers. Check this first but also try to notice what in particular is making the limit light activate and maybe turn that down just a tad. For example, if it's the vocals of a screaming signer, either ask him to back off the mic a little before screaming or try to add a limiter/compressor on his mic channel.

The yellow light means the processing in the NX55P is limiting the signal so it doesn't damage the speaker components. Occasional lighting of the limit light is OK, but if it's on continuously, it's not a good thing because eventually the limiting will be audible and affect the dynamics of your music. One thing to remember is that the limit light can indicate limiting of the horn and/or of the woofer. If ever the red clip light blinks, it is important for you to reduce the signal you are sending the NX55P. Hope this helps, and don't hesitate if you have any other questions! :) Al

• Members

Does anyone use the NX55Ps in a rock-type band setting? I've used them live for jazz, and they did well. Not fantastic, but well. Anyone ever used them in rock / funk type setting? How did they do?

I'm still searching for solid 12" tops I really, really like...

• Members

Thanks for the review, Al :thu:

From what you've written (and what I have guessed all along), the 720 goes deeper with some trade-off to overall SPL. I'll probably get one down the road. One 720 should be OK for my applications, which for now are CD playback (dance party crowds up to 200 people). If I need more, I'll get another one (pending spouse approval :D).

It was either this or a LS800P or UCS1P but I doubt my aching 38 year old body can handle either one of those alone. I can manage the NX55Ps with some minor pain (bad right arm) and a 75(?) pound sub should not be that much more difficult.

V.

• Members

Thanks for the review, Al
:thu:

From what you've written (and what I have guessed all along), the 720 goes deeper with some trade-off to overall SPL. I'll probably get one down the road. One 720 should be OK for my applications, which for now are CD playback (dance party crowds up to 200 people). If I need more, I'll get another one (pending spouse approval
:D
).

V.

For crowds up to 200 people using pre-recorded music, a pair of NX55Ps and one LS720P will certainly be adequate. I ran the 55Ps and the LS720P pretty close to their limits a good part of the night on Saturday for my crowd of 300but this was in a big hall with high ceiling. It did sound loud, clear and full (altough much less loud at the other end of the hall). I can assure you however that the addition of an LS720P would make a remarkable improvement over the NX55Ps alone. :) Al

• Members

Stef - It was very quiet dinner crowd type jazz, usually no vocals, though occasionally. Piano, sax, light electric guitar. I didn't like how processed they were - they sounded fine almost always, but it is next to impossible to improve or adapt the sound because there is so much processing in the box. They are great if you arn't familiar with EQ and you like the natural sound of the NX55, because they will never sound different. They either have the NX55P sound, or they sound awful. Contrast to something like the SRM450, which is incredibly flat-response and, as a result, most people think they sound bad. Theres just a ton of processing in the NX55s, which I don't really like. i would LOVE the Mackie's except having thermal problems isn't a good feature when you need to use them constantly outside in New Orleans... after the first failure, I started shopping.

Gonna check out the QSC and JBL offerings (PRX), and I'm playing around with trying four Yamaha 12" clubs, vocals on the inside instruments on the outside! Hey, it works for the chilli peppers...

• Members

Depending on the type of music and wether if it's live or pre-recorded music, the user can add a little more oomph at the frequency that makes the bigger impact. (a kick drum might have a bigger impact if you set the boost at 90 hz for example)
:thu:
Al

Thanks for the review , and you make a helpful point that we can attest to. We had a job using our subs again this weekend: a rock band with two of the 720s (along with two 55s). And you're right, we boost the 80-90 Hz range on the kick drum and actually cut the low frequencies (but from the mixer). When we were letting all the low bass through, the sound got too undefined/boomy for us, and the limiter was activating too often. So we cut it, and now it sounds like an acoustic bass drum thump (to us). But our settings wouldn't sound too full if "Tootsie Roll" was a featured pre-recorded song between sets...

• Members

Stef - It was very quiet dinner crowd type jazz, usually no vocals, though occasionally. Piano, sax, light electric guitar. I didn't like how processed they were - they sounded fine almost always, but it is next to impossible to improve or adapt the sound because there is so much processing in the box. They are great if you arn't familiar with EQ and you like the natural sound of the NX55, because they will never sound different. They either have the NX55P sound, or they sound awful. Contrast to something like the SRM450, which is incredibly flat-response and, as a result, most people think they sound bad. Theres just a ton of processing in the NX55s, which I don't really like. i would LOVE the Mackie's except having thermal problems isn't a good feature when you need to use them constantly outside in New Orleans... after the first failure, I started shopping.

Gonna check out the QSC and JBL offerings (PRX), and I'm playing around with trying four Yamaha 12" clubs, vocals on the inside instruments on the outside! Hey, it works for the chilli peppers...

For relatively small crowds, cabs that compare favorably with the NX55P and SRM450 would include the FBT Maxx4a, RCF ART312A, and even the ART310A if you were using a sub. For larger crowds, higher SPL look at the ART322A. The larger horn driver sounds better at very high levels.

If the budget allowed, the RCF TT22A would be a good step up in output and sound quality.

• Members

Last night, our band used our newly purchased Yorkville LS720P sub. at an outside gig. We play dance music, Classic Rock and Country Rock + some 50s and 60s. I already wrote in an other part of this forum that we had rented single LS800Ps and LS700Ps and also used a pair of Yamaha subs. before I purchased the 720.

The LS720P is fed directly from our unpowered mixer using XLR cables. Our main speakers are large (15" woofers) Yamahas. We set the controls on the sub. with the volume at 1 o'clock, the roll off at 2 o'clock and the boost at 1 o'clock as well. Our bass player fed through our mixer as well as everyone else , from his amp output (compressed) and then into the sub.

The results were great. :love:

I could hear the kick drum from where I sit, behind my kit at the back of the band. The sound coming out of the mains was nice and crips and the bass coming from the sub was tight and deep. All in all, this turned out to be just the right piece of equipment for our needs. It was not as bulky and heavy as the LS800P and it appeared to me, to be fuller than the LS700P.

The limiter lit up a few times but only from the kick drum action. The clip never came up. I would suggest that with an inside gig, I would never turn up as much on the bass and kick as I did last night.

ALL in ALL, great sub - right price, size, weight and sound.

We purchased from Backstage Music in Sussex, New Brunswick - Canada. Good dealer to visit - Can beat most prices - Loves Yorkville.

Hope this helps :freak:

Steve Gourdeau - Kingston, New Brunswick.

• Members

I'm thinking about one of these for our small gig system. We've got a lot of private parties booked where our JBL SRX system (as small as it is) is just to much. Last night was a great example. We didn't even roll out the subs and just ran the SRX715's full range at about half volume.

Before we went IEM our monitors were NX35's and I'm thinking these powered by a PLX2402 and the LS720P might be a great setup for smaller private parties where volume could be an issue.

Any thoughts from those of you who have used the 720.

• Members

I play louder classic rock in a band that uses 2 nx55ps and 1 ls720p (through an A&H mixwiz 16). For bar gigs we generally only have vocals, the kick drum and some guitar in the mix. We've always been highly complimented on our "sound", which is a mixture of both pa and band musicianship. This past weekend we did two outdoor gigs (no stage.. about 350 people).. Even though we pretty much maxed out the volume at which we ran the pa (and we had two overheads for drums in the mix as well, still no bass guitar), the sound stayed clean and the drum sound (including the kick) was quite good. I'm sure a second ls720p would have provided more ummph, but the music did sound quite good without a second during both days. Our drummer can do the Bonham thing, and the drums did sound quite good out front (including the kick).

We got many compliments during both outdoor gigs (and did well with more bookings, which is really good), so the pa didn't hinder us in any way.

• Members

I use the LS700p and I'm happy with it for what it is. I've used the NX720p and wasn't impressed. It was a little smoother and more accurate than the LS, but the LS hit way harder. With the NX720p's (I had a pair), at full volume, the NX35's at full-range put out more bass than them. The single LS however drowns the tops out.

This was just a quick a/b test in my garage. Tops were NX35's.

Archived