IEM's in Stereo with MixWiz3

• 2 weeks later...
  • CMS Author

Another vote for running it mono. I've never had anyone ask stereo, and I've never worked with anyone that had their own run stereo. But yea, if you can use two aux's and still have the other monitors you need then go for it.

Using two auxiliaries does not create a stereo mix. Both aux's will have identical signals.

• CMS Author

If you use one of the other Mixwiz boards that have stereo channels, there's an internal configuration change you can make to send the left bus signal to odd aux's, and the right bus to the even aux's. You can then use pairs of aux's as stereo sends.

The aux's can be internally linked in a number of different ways, all involving pairs of aux's...aux 1-2 are shipped post-fader, but can be linked to the pre/post switch instead, 5-6 are post-fader but can be linked to the pre-post switch, and 3-4 are linked to the switch but can be made permanently pre-fader.

• Members

Yeah, I use 5 auxes for monitors and the 6th for effects (Lexicon MPX1). I opened up the console and switched the jumper for the aux 6. This gives me the 5 pre-fader auxes :thu: It's not a big deal to do it, just open your board and find the jumpers for each channel. Then switch the jumper on EACH channel to the "switch" position. Then when the pre/post button on the board is pushed, it effectively switch auxes 3, 4, 6 to pre-fader.

As Craig said, there are other options as well. This is what works for me. :D

• Members

Using two auxiliaries does not create a stereo mix. Both aux's will have identical signals.

Not if you pan them differently. This is how I record, off of two auxes with the different channels panned to create a soundfield. Not technically a "stereo recording", but it creates space or a soundfield just like mixing down diferent tracks in the studio (some recorded in stereo, some in mono) and panning them to different places for the final stereo recording.

While technically I understand I am using dual mono sources, once I take the two different sources and record them or in this case send them to an IEM, haven't I created a stereo image?

Winston

Archived