Help Me Find The Right Amps.

• Members

I need a good quality 4000 watt amp that is two space. The QSC qrx 4050's are 3 space and I would like to not have to get a second Rack Case, I would love to fit everything I need in a 20 space roll around Case. Dose anyone have any good idea's of the amp I'm looking for? Must be 4000 watts and only take 2 spaces.

Thanks so much. I do appreciate your input.

• Members

OK, the PLX series looks like the solution, I guess I was just a little shy of the price, but hey, I might as well not break everyones back with the RMX4050's anyway.

Oh, when I said QSC qrx 4050, I meant RMX 4050. Sorry about that.

I'll be using the amps to power 4-EV QRx 218S and 4-of the QRx 212

• Members

"Amps" or amp?

If it's "amp"... I'm mildly curious what the other 18 spaces of equipment is in that rack that mandates the amp be limited to 2U high.

Or are you putting 10 amps in the rack, to power the speakers?

Well, I was planning to power 2 cabs per amp. So, 4 amps powering 4 sub cabs and 4 top cabs. What would you do? I'm just now breaking into this, so I could use all the advice I can get. Then I'm using a one space crossover, a two space compressor, a three space EQ and 2 power conditioners. I'm thinking of switching to ear piece monitors and dropping the wedges and amps to run them.

OK, let me have it, if I'm doing somthing wrong I would love to know. Give it to me strait. Am I overdoing? Underdoing? Would you use these amps?

• Members

What are you using the compressor & EQ for? Seems odd they are in the mp rack. Ditch the power conditioners, they are useless for the amps and the other gear doesn't need them either. Maybe there's a better wat to do your power distro.

By the way, many power conditioners are breakered at 15 amps... you wil want 2 x 20 amp circuits if you plan on driving the system hard.

• Members

What are you using the compressor & EQ for? Seems odd they are in the mp rack. Ditch the power conditioners, they are useless for the amps and the other gear doesn't need them either. Maybe there's a better wat to do your power distro.

By the way, many power conditioners are breakered at 15 amps... you wil want 2 x 20 amp circuits if you plan on driving the system hard.

I have a 32 band eq that I was going to run the mix through and then I was going to use the compressor for just compressing the kick, snare, bass ect.

I'm completely open for a new way to do all this. You mentioned that there might be a better way to do my power distribution,....tell me more. All I want is to do this right.

I was going to put all the Amps, Crossover, EQ, Compressor all in a 20 space rack box with an open top where I would mount a 16 channel mixer. Tell me if I'm off track at all.

Thanks alot, I really do appreciate your input.

• Members

Well, half the time, the mixing will be done inside the bus with the band on top of the bus, but I guess when we set up somewhere and the bus is not moving while the band is playing, we should be ready to run a snake out and have separate cases for the amps and then the mixer and FX.

OK, because if I had the amps way out there with the mixer, I would need to run 8 150 foot speaker cables to the stage and thats not what you do right?

I see. Thank you. This makes sense now.

• Members

Are you setting up to make some MTV videos or some such thing?
:confused:

No Sir, no type of MTV thing. We just need to be able to play while the bus is moving. We actually may shoot some of it but that's just because the bus is in a reality show that we are making called The Prophet Bus. www.prophetbus.com

I would like to be able to record some of the shows which is why I'm looking into selling my Mackie mixer and getting a A&H 16 channel mixer.

• Members

Well... ok... semantics might be a factor here, but what it takes to support the show I suspect is basically the same... so: What do you have to electrically power this roving Blue Bird performance? A good recommendation might need to take into consideration more than just physically fitting an amp into a 2U rack space.

Yeah, there's a lot to think about. We've been looking into a 30K watt generator trailer to pull behind the bus. There is no generator that gives enough electricity

and will also fit under the bus, so yeah.

Are we a little crazy or what. Ha.

• Members

These are definitely not the first wet blankets that have been thrown on the idea, but I like it.

Yes, there's alot more to it than just fitting a 4000K watt amp into a 2U rack space but that's all I was asking about. The rest has already been thought through.

Agedhorse, don't you have the same speakers that we are going for? EV qrx series?

• CMS Author

These are definitely not the first wet blankets that have been thrown on the idea, but I like it.

Yes, there's alot more to it than just fitting a 4000K watt amp into a 2U rack space but that's all I was asking about. The rest has already been thought through.

You sure about that? How are you handling the grounding of that 30kW genset being pulled behind the bus? Have you verified that the genset is designed to operate while the trailer is in motion?

But most importantly, why are you doing this? I can't imagine the benefit of spreading the Word with a drive-by, but I'm listening...

• Members

You sure about that? How are you handling the grounding of that 30kW genset being pulled behind the bus? Have you verified that the genset is designed to operate while the trailer is in motion?

But most importantly, why are you doing this? I can't imagine the benefit of spreading the Word with a drive-by, but I'm listening...

Yes, thats a good question about grounding the generator. I'm going to have to look further into that. I've seen them running while in tow before, I wonder if it's a certain one made for that?? I better do more research, thank you, good point.

You asked why we would want to spread the word with a drive by. Yes, good question. Well, now you guys can really get a good laugh. We believe that God has messages to give to certain places and ppl in the USA and we want to be ready to use our music to drop those messages off where ever He may ask us. So yes, we are prophets, and we need to be able to deliver His words in word and in song and then hit the road after a 10 or 15 minute break down. You guys are great help actually, now I know what amps we need, that we should have the amps in their own separate case and that I need to look further into the generator situation. Thanks for your help. We can use your prayers, everyone.

• Members

Any reason you must hit the road 10-15 minutes after breakdown?

Have you experienced "unrest" at any of the gigs you have played to spread the gospel and needed to high-tail it out of there... perhaps to folks that weren't much interested in what you have to say or perhaps the delivery method?

Archived