Active speakers?

• Members

Budget 1200$

been considering the JBL EON 15G2

I need something to match my Yorkiville Pulse PW 600 watt sub got a pair of YX15P but little light on SPL so these will go to monitor duties.

Heard NX series were decent but our Yorkie dealer doesn't have any in stock and can only oder can't preview them. NX350 seems nice how would they compare against the Eons.

Will be micing out combo amps, di'ed bass and 3 vocals and a set of Roland V drums mix through a Peavey RQ2314 mixer.

• Members

Budget 1200$

I need something to match my Yorkiville Pulse PW 600 watt sub got a pair of YX15P but little light on SPL so these will go to monitor duties.

Heard NX series were decent but our Yorkie dealer doesn't have any in stock and can only oder can't preview them. NX350 seems nice how would they compare against the Eons.

Will be micing out combo amps, di'ed bass and 3 vocals and a set of Roland V drums mix through a Peavey RQ2314 mixer.

The NX35 is the replacement for NX350 which has been discontinued. Neither are active. A pair of NX55P would probably do the job nicely. You may want to look into a pair of QSC HPR122i as well. Both options are slightly above your budget but well worth considering.

V.

• Members

The JBL PRX stuff is much better then the EONs (I own a pair of EONs and a pair of PRX512s). The EONs will do the job but the PRX sound better but also are a bit more expensive.

If you are in the Chicago area I'm selling a pair of EONs in the JBL bags really cheap.

• Members

The JBL PRX stuff is much better then the EONs (I own a pair of EONs and a pair of PRX512s). The EONs will do the job but the PRX sound better but also are a bit more expensive.

If you are in the Chicago area I'm selling a pair of EONs in the JBL bags really cheap.

Love to have a pair of the PRX our dealer has a pair but we sold everything of vale just to come up with the 1200$ and the PRX were awesome but out of our price range.

• Members

Love to have a pair of the PRX our dealer has a pair but we sold everything of vale just to come up with the 1200$ and the PRX were awesome but out of our price range.

Borrow some money from Jo Momma? ( I see you are living there)

No but you know what... those JBL Eon speakers are good too.... very full and rich.... I am sure they would work as well as anything else in that price range... or nearly as well. couple of Yorkville NX 55 P would be similiar... maybe EV Sxa 100's again... similair...

• Members

Budget 1200$

I'm surprised your YX15Ps can't keep up with the PW600 sub. With recorded music, mine have no problem keeping up with my LS700P, but I guess live music is different. The NX55Ps will produce more SPL than the YX15Ps (make sure you engage the 100hz filter) and will perform better at higher levels because of their advanced sweeping filters that go to work when the cabinet is near its maximum output. However, I'm not convinced this increase will be as significant as you hope. A set of NX750Ps might be worth looking at if you need those extra SPLs. They have more power, the same sweeping filters, but also have a more natural, less processed sound out of the box which usually better for live sound. They are more money of couse. :cry: Al

• Members

Thanks guys for the input but we decided to go with the NX35's I know their passive but my Crown XLS 602 should do the job for powering the NX35's. Al the YX15P's are great speakers and sound way better then the PR15's we had. Just I really don't want to push the snot out of them to keep up with the active sub plus we know the NX35's will cut thru the mix better then the YX15's on the mid/highs. Since the NX35's are loaded with 12's and better horn driver then the YX15P's. But like I posted earlier the YX15p's will work great on monitor duties. And a big thanks to Mike over at Audiopyle we appreciate your patience and time.

• Members

Thanks guys for the input but we decided to go with the NX35's I know their passive but my Crown XLS 602 should do the job for powering the NX35's. Al the YX15P's are great speakers and sound way better then the PR15's we had. Just I really don't want to push the snot out of them to keep up with the active sub plus we know the NX35's will cut thru the mix better then the YX15's on the mid/highs. Since the NX35's are loaded with 12's and better horn driver then the YX15P's. But like I posted earlier the YX15p's will work great on monitor duties. And a big thanks to Mike over at Audiopyle we appreciate your patience and time.

Yeah, the NX35s are excellent speakers and should cut through pretty good. They are smoother overall in their HF/MF response. The YX15Ps will be great for monitor duty, especially with the built in 3 band EQ. They even have the little plastic feet in place for when you lay them down for use as monitors. Best of luck! :) Al

• Members

Be sure to use a crossover. Those cabinets can't take a whole lot of power and you certainly don't want to feed them the low notes at gig volume. My guess, although I'm not certain, the compression horn is the same as the NX55P.

• Members

Well my Yorkville Pulse PW sub has a built in x-over would I need another one:confused:
:confused:

Does it have a crossover that actually can send the highs only out to the mains amp or is it just a filter to keep the highs out of the subwoofer? If it's just a filter then you're still sending a full range signal to the NX35's and you really don't want to do that. If you were to have an actie NX speaker they have 100 Hz pass filters in them that can filter out the lows. You'll need to do it with an outboard crossover. Frankly, the Yorkville filters on the subs don't do a very good job and let a ton of midbass mud through (100-200 Hz). You can get them pretty cheap. Rolls makes a cheap, small one called the SX21

http://www.8thstreet.com/prod.asp?pid=4555

• Members

I weighed the nx55's against the mackie 450s and the jbl eons and got the listen to the jbls and the mackies - and ended up going with the yorkvilles. I got 2 nx55s and 2 nx720s. I've only had them a week and have not had a chance to gig with them but have thumped them pretty hard at home and must say I am glad I went with these. They sound just awesome - I am looking forward to gigging with them soon.

• Members

Does it have a crossover that actually can send the highs only out to the mains amp or is it just a filter to keep the highs out of the subwoofer? If it's just a filter then you're still sending a full range signal to the NX35's and you really don't want to do that. If you were to have an actie NX speaker they have 100 Hz pass filters in them that can filter out the lows. You'll need to do it with an outboard crossover. Frankly, the Yorkville filters on the subs don't do a very good job and let a ton of midbass mud through (100-200 Hz). You can get them pretty cheap. Rolls makes a cheap, small one called the SX21

So where in the chain would the x-over go? And I run in stereo I know most folks say theirs no benefit running in stereo but IMO when adding the FX's we seemed to have a better stereo image especially panning dry channel with the FX stereo channel but hey that's just our choice of running our mix.

• CMS Author

So where in the chain would the x-over go? And I run in stereo I know most folks say theirs no benefit running in stereo but IMO when adding the FX's we seemed to have a better stereo image especially panning dry channel with the FX stereo channel but hey that's just our choice of running our mix.

Mixer out(s) - Crossover - split outs to each speaker/amp. If you have EQ(s), they go between mixer and crossover.

The Rolls crossover is mono.

• Members

Not sure if the Pulse PS has a x-over trying to avoid adding more rack gear I wanna keep it simple as possible I got a pair of Pevey w/FLS 231 eq's for FOH and monitors and a Crown XLS 602 amp for FOH and 2-YX15P powered monitors and 1 Alesis FX unit. I run sound from the stage with a wireless constantly checking the sound system while playing. Adding a x-over means more gain structure headaches sure I gotta have it with the NX35's for tops and the Pulse PW sub :confused:

• Members

Not sure if the Pulse PS has a x-over trying to avoid adding more rack gear I wanna keep it simple as possible I got a pair of Pevey w/FLS 231 eq's for FOH and monitors and a Crown XLS 602 amp for FOH and 2-YX15P powered monitors and 1 Alesis FX unit. I run sound from the stage with a wireless constantly checking the sound system while playing. Adding a x-over means more gain structure headaches sure I gotta have it with the NX35's for tops and the Pulse PW sub
:confused:

A crossover is not an absolute necessity if you're careful. A lot of people run everything through some mains on stands - at least you have a sub, so you won't automatically be cranking up the lows to try to get more thump. Try to turn down the bass on your mixer a little and turn up the volume on the sub a little to compensate. At least this will mean less low frequency getting to your mains. Not the best solution but it can work. I think your sub has some pass thru 1/4'' jacks but I'm trying to find out if it actually sends out a filtered signal to your tops.... Give me a few minutes. Al

• Members

Thank you kindly Al looks like i gotta get a x-over then. Was trying to avoid it but probably would sound waaay better with a x-over cuz i know the NX can deliver plenty of decent mid/highs.

For live sound, it's a good idea. For pre-recorded music that has less dynamics and fewer surprises, I've gotten by fine without one. I do enjoy being able to use the 100hz cutoff on my NX55Ps to maximize their output when used with my sub for those bigger halls though... Al

• Members

Borrow some money from Jo Momma? ( I see you are living there)

No but you know what... those JBL Eon speakers are good too.... very full and rich.... I am sure they would work as well as anything else in that price range... or nearly as well. couple of Yorkville NX 55 P would be similiar... maybe EV Sxa 100's again... similair...

:lol: actually Jo Momma was a R&R and blues band that influenced me into music I was 11 when I seen them and I've been hooked every since. And that was over 35 years ago.

• Members

I would suggest looking into the Yorkville Unity series! Especially the U15P which is the powered version. It is a very top of the line, amazing sounding speaker so I don't know if that is what you would be looking for, for DJing. The reason I suggest it is because you have subs already and that will work great! I use 2 U15P's with 4 EAW LA400s center clustered and it works amazingly!

Phil Lewandowski!

P.S. They run about $1300 a piece... Not Bad....

Archived