Micing a 412 Guitar Cab?

• Members

It really does not matter. Sometimes, one of the four speakers will sound better and that's the one I will mic. Otherwise, I just mic the bottom right (facing the cabinet) because it looks better from the audience point of view with the mic stand out to the side.

• Members

I like to mic the top right speaker. Further from the ground = less possible reflection, although that's a negligible difference. I just like to mic the top speakers 'cause I'm me.

Whatever you do... don't mic the logo! Why the hell do a lot of guys do this?? Do they figure it's just one big speaker behind the grille?

• Members

I like to mic the top right speaker. Further from the ground = less possible reflection, although that's a negligible difference. I just like to mic the top speakers 'cause I'm me.

I guess I'm me too. Same thing. I never thought about it but I almost always mic the top right speaker, just off the edge of the cone.

• Members

Well there's a great article about micing cabs from a Grammy award SE and basically he stated stick your f**king ear against the speaker and see which speaker sounds the best and move your GD mic around for Heaven's sake its not rocket science. The guy can't remember his name and is crude as hell but after winning awards I beleive he has a right to be blunt about his info. BTW 99% of great SE's are not the friendliest folks in the world no pun intended to those of you, but I relate they have to make decisions that effects the overall outcome. Guess if I where in their shoes I would be pretty focused on getting the best production possible.

• Members

Well there's a great article about micing cabs from a Grammy award SE and basically he stated
stick your f**king ear against the speaker and see which speaker sounds the best
and move your GD mic around for Heaven's sake its not rocket science.
The guy can't remember his name
and is crude as hell but after winning awards I beleive he has a right to be blunt about his info.

He probably doesn't answer to his name because he can't hear you. No way I'm sticking my ear up to most 4x12 cabinets at the level most people run them.:lol: It sure would be nice to have enough time to play around with different mic positioning as I'm sure it can make a big difference.

Winston

• Members

He probably doesn't answer to his name because he can't hear you. No way I'm sticking my ear up to most 4x12 cabinets at the level most people run them.
:lol:
It sure would be nice to have enough time to play around with different mic positioning as I'm sure it can make a big difference.

Winston

For crying out didn't mean at full throttle use common sense, hell I wouldn't do that myself he meant at a reasonable level that aint gonna cause deafness. Jeez come on guys it aint rocket science.

• Members

I try desperately to get the guitar player to use (or even try) a smaller cabinet, fail, and then hang an e609 halfway between the center and the edge of whichever speaker is easiest.

Important tip though: if hanging a mic, please make sure that you still secure it (gaffer's tape perhaps) in such a way so that it doesn't slip, and that it doesn't rattle against the metal grill.

• Members

For crying out didn't mean at full throttle use common sense, hell I wouldn't do that myself he meant at a reasonable level that aint gonna cause deafness. Jeez come on guys it aint rocket science.

First, note my smilie.

Second, recall the endless laments about guitar players being unable to get "their tone" at low levels.

Third, I'll ty to make my attempts at sarcastic humor more obvious.

Winston

• Members

First, note my smilie.

Second, recall the endless laments about guitar players being unable to get "their tone" at low levels.

Third, I'll ty to make my attempts at sarcastic humor more obvious.

Winston

No probs man :) this was intended for the egotistical guitarist players that dunno how to acheive great tones from a 4x12 cab at low volumes. I've had my share of these guitar players with mo me syndrome and refuse to even be in a band with them. IMO if the GD guitarist dosen't have enough of sense that it's a band not a solo act what the point of being together. I'm a picky as hell about my band members took me a year to find a guitarist that cares about the over all sound and not how many freaking dB's he can crank out of his 4x12 Marshall. He know WTF a wedge is.

• Members

Wha? After reading these forums for about 4 year now I can almost conclude the exact opposite
:confused:

My bad your right my apologies shouldn't stereotype one bad apple for the whole barrel. Long story short we got ripped by a producer/SE wasted time and money and a bad experience. Carry on

• Members

My bad your right my apologies shouldn't stereotype one bad apple for the whole barrel. Long story short we got ripped by a producer/SE wasted time and money and a bad experience. Carry on

I suppose it'd be great if that didn't happen damn near all of the time.

Archived