Where would YOU put your subs?

• Members

I have a (very) rough sketch of the bar we're playing at this month attached to this post. I've been putting the subs at the edge of the stage with the mains on poles above them (the standard PA-on-a-stick arrangement) at the positions marked "A" and "B" on the sketch. I'm thinking of moving the subs to the front of the stage stacked on top of each other at position "C" (if you can read the position markers ... if not, hopefully you can tell where I'm talking about anyway). Good idea? Bad idea? The place holds probably around 200 people, give or take. The walls are brick and it has very high ceilings, about 20 feet. It's like playing in a cave, but a little EQing works wonders and the crowd helps control the sound. Plus they've finally added some padded panels hanging from the ceiling that at least keeps the highs from being so awful.

Any reason NOT to cluster the subs (2x Carvin LS1801A 700W active 18" subs)?

edit: It would help if I attached the attachment. :rolleyes:

• Members

Keeping the subs on the ground extends their frequency range downward. (Couples the speaker with the floor like a horn.) Placing them in a corner with direct coupling to the walls helps even further. Doesn't look like that's much of an option here. I don't have a problem with placing them in front of the stage. (Just don't stack them.) But there has to be room and from a visual standpoint, they need to be below the stage. (At least mostly.) I would think you would want the best sub coverage on the dance floor. They won't help your sound much elsewhere. (Note: I really think that subs are over done. Usually too loud. I like them there but barely noticable.)

Don't really like having the band aimed at the bar. Someone didn't think this layout very well. It's also good to have an area where patrons can have lower volume to talk. (Or hit on) Can't have a "meet market" where conversation is non-existant. No "meet market", no gig. (OK, sometimes there are local hangouts, but singles are usually out to hook up.)

• Members

There is a lower-volume area, back behind the bar in the pool table / darts area. There's a huge brick wall that provides enough buffer that there's a noticeable sound drop.

The front area between the stage and the bar is packed with tables, and we usually clear off an area in front of the stage to be a dance floor when we play.

I was under the impression that stacking the subs one on top of the other would help widen their coverage area. No?

• Members

Single 18"s side by side in front of the stage is OK as long as they sit below the stage and are not a visual distraction. With a arced stage front, however, they may not be visually acceptable. This is assuming you have speaker stands to elevate you mid/highs without the subs underneath them. Your dancers may appreciate the extra "oomph" they get by having the subs right there, and the sound should carry everywhere anyway. I love playing on stages where I can put a bank of subs in the center "under" the stage.

All that said consider that if they are working at the side and sound good, why *&%$ with success?

• Members

They sound OK at the sides, but I notice that I get pretty bad "nodes." Our last gig here, another band closed (but we were still using my PA). During their set I did some walking around through the audience and noticed that by the walls there was a TON of bass buildup, but in the middle and near the dancefloor it was greatly reduced. The result was that things sounded great in the middle (going for the best sound for the highest percentage of the audience) but near the walls it was subwoofer hell. I'm wondering if moving the subs to the middle would help balance things out.

• Members

I was under the impression that stacking the subs one on top of the other would help widen their coverage area. No?

No, generally it will narrow the coverage, but for sub frequencies and two high the difference will be negligable, and IMO horizontal stacking on the ground would be better.

• Members

They wouldn't stick any further above the stage than the monitors do, if I stacked them that way. ;) Side by side they're right about the same height as the stage standing upright (with the pole-mounting cup on top, in other words), but they can be placed on their side easily which makes them a couple of inches shorter. I would have done that if I stacked them. But, I think I'll try side-by-side.

• Members

I'm wondering if moving the subs to the middle would help balance things out.

I would agree with this placement. I would place mine this way, but the tops rely on the subs to feed them their signal. I would need a way to get those 100lb tops off the ground as well. (more like 80lbs, but they feel heavier when you lift them with just the two of us stacking.) :freak:

Archived